SL2 owners: re. foam

Does it matter? :rofl:

I dont know.

@JimDog he just said they were no longer available. I assume all pairs were matched pairs, therefore no matched pairs are available either.

And they are made in-house. So that’s that’s. As said if they’re not broken don’t worry. You will have many many years of playtime unless you get silly and over drive your amp and damage a driver coil.

New pimpled washers have definitely made a difference to my speakers. Looking at the old ones I cannot honestly say they looked flattened out but my ears say something is better.

Cheap and easy if yours are old.

Not sure about any change in performance attributable to the foam but at least when I removed the cabinet to fit the washers I did not get crumbly olive - green debris all over the floor.

Bruce

2 Likes

Great to hear the SL2s are on form.

1 Like

Well, just picked up my SL2 x-overs from Acoustica, back from a service at Naim.

I have plugged them in and left Naim radio playing to warm things up.

Also, I bought a pair of NAP135s while the x-overs were away, so to get a fair comparison of before and after the service, I’d have to plug in the old NAP150x and try to remember what the system sounded like 5 weeks ago!

4 Likes

@Richard.Dane
Richard, do you just let your SL2 x-overs hang loose between the tweeter support?

There are holes to screw the passive x-over boxes into something and I think have the original (unused) screws somewhere - but what would you screw them into?

I used to wrap them in bubble wrap to protect the x-overs and add a layer of padding between the x-over case the back of the lower cab.

But one could also blutac them onto the cab? But that would presumably change how the cabinet resonates?

No, I use the thin screws. The crossovers should have cut-outs where you fit rubber grommets. You then insert the screws through the grommets and only do up to a point where the screw head touches the grommet.

1 Like

Are there holes drilled in the back of the lower cabinets?

(My speakers are too near the wall for me to see.)

Yes, there should some tiny guide holes for the screws.

1 Like

Good move Jim. That system is certainly growing !

2 Likes

Thanks Richard…

It will be a terrific upgrade. Well done!

Yes, already the sound is much cleaner and meatier.

Just need to wait for the x-overs to settle in.

(I don’t mean to derail the thread…)

Nice upgrade Jim with the 135s the SL2s will sound bigger.

1 Like

Do you have your passive x-overs screwed into the back of your SL2s as Richard describes?

I do and the holes are pre drilled as per Richards post.

Pic below, top of the PXO needs dusting though :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks - I will dig those screws out tonight, and see if there are any grommets kicking around - or order some…

For what it’s worth, my SL2 crossovers are also screwed on it that way too.

Best

David