Smaller speakers for my smaller room?!?

My room is appprox 4m x 3.5m considerable smaller than yours. I have just changed from BW805D3s plus REL Sub woofer to floorstanding Sonus Faber Olymica Nova 3s. I did though have a home demo first. Bass is deep and controlled. Room matching is such an important factor. As others have said if you don’t like 'em change 'em but have a home demo before deciding.

1 Like

That’s an interesting change. Were the SF Nova 3s too big for the room or?

1 Like

I was a bit sceptical but no they aren’t and sound fantastic. My end game speakers I think. They might be a bit more bassy in a larger room but work very well in mine and are in a different league to the B&Ws

7 Likes

I have a very small room…and I had to treat it…but asside from this keeping the speakers small…and getting as much control of the speakers as possible…to that end it has been source source source…with each step improving bass control and reducing room interaction. The Nova needs to be given a really good power cord…then small powerful speakers like the ATC… it should sound pretty darn good. Finally I found that improving the ethernet supply made a big impact on bass… Look at it as a journey…taken logically step by step. Also try and get Paul McGowens book on setup…off Amazon. Good luck …the Roo

1 Like

I had a simlar speaker issues…and tried the ported VividS12…in theory it should not have worked…but no they worked so well…they must just interact with the room in just the right way…you must be in a similar situation…with your floor standers. The 805’s I tried them …are weired as they are small speakers for big rooms…they hated my small room. They only came to life when taken by the scruff of the neck with a powerful amp…not what you need in a small room…you end up blasted out!

1 Like

Whoops, sorry @Inmynaim - I read it the other way around. That you moved from the SFs to the B&Ws. My bad! :smiling_face:

That’s interesting - exactly my experience with the 805s. Good speakers but they only seemed to work well from 9 o’clock and up on the dial.

If that was intended as a copy it must be the worst copy in history.

Totally agree…the Kan is a warts and all approach …which actually I liked. The LS35A is a squished complex speaker…not really my cup of tea…but excellent at voices…the Kan is awful on piano…but expressive…

Sorry, ‘copy’ was the wrong word. The Kan was also a two unit bookshelf loudspeaker in an identically sized wooden cabinet. I have no idea who manufactured the treble and midrange units.

I had a pair of teak finished Kans, which I bought from eBay or similar a long time ago. They played beautifully, but were rather shabby. So, taking my courage in both hands, I sanded them down lightly, applied a few touches of filler, and applied a few coats of matt varnish. I was very pleased with the result. My son took possession of them when he was setting up house about ten years ago, and he still uses them, with a lovely piano black nSub contributing the lower frequencies. Lovely little things.

I can see my six-year-old granddaughter wanting to nick them in turn, when she goes off to university. (They would be over sixty years old then!)

3 Likes

Yep love them…I have a pair I am building…my wife has banned me from finishing them as I bought a pair of expensive Vivid S12s…ha ha…

The 805s do need a bit of volume to sound their best, fortunately for my neighbours the sonus fabers don’t!

1 Like

5.8m x 3.8m isn’t a “small room”…
I listen to the S600 without any bass problem , in a space of 5.8x4.6 meters.

3 Likes

Having read the OP’s original post, I can only really think of a couple of smaller speakers in the same price range as the ProAcs which could be other options and don’t suffer too much from bass loss due to size. One is the Dynaudio Special 40, the other the Kudos Cardea Super 10A, the former in particular being renowned for a bass-friendly and dynamic delivery but maybe not as neutral as one would like. In terms of aesthetics, both are quite conservative designs available in a suitably “sober” range of finishes.

1 Like

Dimensions for the D20R’s are:
HEIGHT (CABINET): 978mm (38.5”) on spikes
WIDTH (CABINET): 193mm (7.6”)
DEPTH (CABINET): 282mm (11”)
WEIGHT: 24kg (52.9lb) each cabinet

Dimensions for the D2R’s are:
HEIGHT (CABINET) 430mm (17”)
WIDTH (CABINET). 203mm (8”)
DEPTH (CABINET) 260mm (10.25”)
WEIGHT each 11Kg (24lb)
(add height, width, depth and weight of speaker stands for full comparisons.

I find the ProAc floor standers with the wood cabinets look much better than speakers on metal stands. I recently had a pair of Harbeth C7ES-3 XD loudspeakers at the house for a few days and found they took up more floor space on the stands then the ProAc’s. My wife liked the floorstanding speakers appearance in the room vs stand mounted speakers as well.

4 Likes

Thanks Seakayaker for comparative dimensions. Very helpful.

I wonder if I went for the larger ProAcs, would my KEF KC62 sub be superfluous in my 2ch set up? It would still find a suitable role in my surround system.

I found there was definitely additional base with the larger cabinet with the floor standers and you just may be able to remove the sub. If you have a dealer near by it definitely would be worth the time to go give a listen. Even better a home demo with and without the sub.

From the ProAc site: "The cabinet design uses the same type of bass loading as the D30S and D48 models which makes the speaker easier to position with respect to its frequency response.

The result is a wonderful open and expansive midrange with a substantial bass and sweet and detailed high frequencies from either ProAc tweeter option. A large sound stage is also a bonus.

1 Like

I have a Powerline on the Nova, and it was a good uptick for SQ.

The bass isn’t really an issue - I have a KEF KC62 sub which does a great job in concert with the ProAcs.

My issue isn’t really the ProAcs in themselves but my thoughts, possibly a misapprehension, have turned to whether they are “too big” for my “small room”. These terms are relative and so it seems not really pertinent and applicable here.

Plus, I don’t care for the satin white finish of the D2R speakers.

That is not a small listening room!

1 Like

I would think D2r in your space should be ok…is your bass boomy or have lack of stereo…??

2 Likes