Smaller speakers for my smaller room?!?

Yes, I currently have the D2R, and the bass isn’t an issue at all. My concerns are twofold:

1. are these the best speakers for my room size and my Nova?
  2. I don’t like the white satin finish now that I’ve moved house and almost finished furnishing the lounge listening room, the white just isn’t a good look in my home!

Ok…well generally the narrower the speaker baffle the more open the sound…I would definately demo the PMC 26.21i … they take a while to run in…try and get a demo pair home…

1 Like

In UK terms that is not a small room!

When I heard the PMC Fact 12, I thought that if I ever had to move to a house with a smaller listening room than I have now. It would bd a speaker to try. Otherwise satellites and sub, maybe Wilson Benesch

1 Like

Charles,
Sometimes you just need to move on and trying to justify why complicates matters further.
Over a number of threads I think you just need to purge the white D2R’s from your system.
Once you accept this I think things will fall in place pretty quickly for you.
In terms of replacements the Neat Petite Anniversary or Classic look a very good match for Naim and received a good review from Ed Selley on AV Forums.
Good luck on your journey.

2 Likes

I like your expression. Purge is good. Maybe.

I’ll take a look at the Neats, too.

1 Like

I saw the review of the Neat Petite Classics and they come out really well. Unfortunately only available in white or black :roll_eyes:

1 Like

A friend of mine has some Neat speakers (the Motives, I think) and he rates them highly. He uses a SN2, and says Naim and Neat, in this instance work well.

I also noticed the review, by Ed, and it is indeed glowing. The two choices of finish are a let down, for me at least.

I wonder how they’d stack up against my ProAcs. . .

For what it’s worth I use a pair of PMC 25.21’s in my 4 x 4 m room and they work brilliantly together. Plus a top notch walnut veneer :wink:

2 Likes

That alone would do it for me. Almost!

There is your D2R in Walnut…
…and D20R in Rosewood.

4 Likes

Both would work aesthetically in my room.

Thanks for the pictorials.

2 Likes

Beautiful speakers, but I’m afraid they won’t be nudging my beloved Totems.

2 Likes

I rang a dealer today to discuss some speaker options. When I told him my current set-up, room size and layout , he encouraged me to stick with the ProAcs!

I won’t say he refused to offer any alternatives but he wasn’t promoting any especially. However, he did suggest the Nova, though highly effective, might be the element to swap, and not the actual D2R in all their satin white glory.

2 Likes

There are alternative means to sell the white elephants in the room.
I guess what this says is there is not a fundamental issue with your system!
You’ll get there - eventually.

1 Like

Hi @Charles64

My room is the same size as yours and I use Graham Audio LS5/9 with their passive subs, Sub3.
I have Wilmslow Audio speakers in my office, they have more speakers on their web site then you can shake a stick at. They will also work with you to design and build speakers to meet your needs. You can have them fully built with veneered enclosures or supplied as a kit with unfinished enclosures, for you to finish to suit your taste.

1 Like

@Charles64 Have you tried the Nova with just your KEF LS50 Meta (with and without the sub)? With these on stands, it could be what you are looking for…

1 Like

No, not yet, despite the LS50 being on hand in the same room. It’s certainly worth trialling.

1 Like

Before you do anything with the Nova try the Powerline .

Given your antipathy to the white speakers , I wonder :thought_balloon: if he is listening to you.

Yes, I’ve had one from more or less buying the Nova.

Plenty of antipathy, true!

I listened to Apple Music via AirPlay to my Nova last night (David Sylvian and Zep’s In Through The Outdoor) and thought how good it sounded, the whole system.

For SQ, my hierarchy is between CD, ripped CD and vinyl which usually sound better than AM, but last night it all sounded marvellous for an hour or so.

3 Likes

Given your antipathy to the white speakers , I wonder :thought_balloon: if he is listening to you.

Plenty of antipathy, true!

I listened to Apple Music via AirPlay to my Nova last night (David Sylvian and Zep’s In Through The Outdoor) and thought how good it sounded, the whole system.

For SQ, my hierarchy is between CD, ripped CD and vinyl which usually sound better than AM, but last night it all sounded marvellous for an hour or so.
[/quote]

Hello Charles

I have Harbeth P3ESR , turntable, a CDX2.2 (digital output only ) and like your system it sounds marvellous . Aesthetically the speakers match the stands , match the room.

I suspect our systems are not too dissimilar in sound. There are some comments about , BBC type monitors etc but I think the best one I think comes from Seakayaker , about the D20R - I would change the speakers , keeping them to something you are happy with. Thing is with D20R , they will have the same footprint

If you ever watch Masterchef or GBBO the saying about eating with your eyes comes to mind, but with hifi/audio we often hear with our eyes.

I’ve had a lot of stomach surgery , I can’t (or avoid ) lifting heavy objects , so floor standers are out for me, but occasionally I would like a little bit more oomph , which is why I think the D20R might be a good alternative for you, in colours to match your décor

3 Likes