Smooth Jazz/Funk Suggestions…

I’ve just got this old album, it seems pretty cool and funky too.

1 Like

1 Like

4 Likes

Unluckily I couldn’t find this album on Qobuz, only on Youtube. It sounds nice and smooth.

1 Like

Hi @Blacknote
Shame you can’t find it I’ve got the CD it really tests the system lower registers.
Here is another that does the same especially track 3 and the last one.

1 Like

Hi @Skeptikal, you are lucky, I found the CD to be out of stock. Generally speaking jazz funk/fusion albums seem harder to get, I guess they tend to have a limited run.

I found some lovely and articulated low registers on many Lorber’s albums. I don’t know you, but the 1st track (Exotic) from Life and Times has a lovely, engaging and punchy bass on my system. Impossible not to love it IMO.

I’m glad @Neil0001 started this thread, I thought to be (almost) the only one to appreciate jazz funk, so it’s great to share the albums we enjoy.

3 Likes

I would like to offer up my most favourite of groups Fourplay their namesake album titled Fourplay is off the scale for sound quality and content. It’s my go to album when testing out new equipment:-

IMG_7013

Can’t believe we have got this far without a mention for the Rippingtons, they’ve made over a dozen albums with many solo albums from individuals within the group, here’s just a few:-

IMG_7016

5 Likes

Don’t know if this counts but I like it so I offer it up. Fusion?

3 Likes

I would say it counts, I posted a Spyro Gyra album as well.

1 Like

Playing the Fourplay album now. Damn that’s good, and I see what you mean about the production work.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Jazz rock fusion - you could try Brand X (first four albums), Colosseum II and Mahavishnu Orchestra (particularly Mk I).

2 Likes

1 Like

Thanks… already onto Colloseum. All added to the list…

That’s great. You may know that Colosseum was a different band to Colosseum II, Jon Hiseman being the connection. Colosseum II was high energy instrumental fusion. ‘Electric Savage’ shown above is superb, as is their following and final album ‘Wardance’.

Bit more fusion.
Gong Gazeuse

2 Likes

and these.

2 Likes

This is a beauty I think. Serengeti Walk (a Dave Grusin original - lots of stuff on his GRP record label to explore) is a stunner.

2 Likes

Lives here too.

2 Likes

Plenty for me to check out on this thread.

1 Like