SN2+HCDR+CDX2+XPSDR upgrade path

It’s not a universal or popular view but I’ve always found the 282 a little etched and glassy.

I had that system before. Perhaps the best balanced and musical in Naim line.
Something to set up differently? However I don’t know the Kudos 20.
Perhaps they are a bit too forward, from what I read. The 282/250/ cdx2 with the ps is already very punchy and forward, but addictive.
Perhaps a bit too much with the Kudos 20? Chord cables ( interconnects ) can compensate a bit . They are refined and soft, not at all agressive.

1 Like

I have the same amps (282/HCDR/250DR) but use a Chord DAC instead of CDX2/XPSDR, and different speakers. The system has a big bold and dynamic sound instead of shouty and tiring. Perhaps you are used to the laidback and warmer sound of the SN2 which may have formed a better match with the rest of the components?

1 Like

The only component that I’m not familiar here is the CDX2 but it has a reputation of being quite forward and lively but immense fun. So does the 282 and the C20’s are on the forward side of neutral as are S20’s, I’ve owned both C20’s and S20’s in a similar system except for the source, they are both very revealing, especially at the top end and I suspect that system matching could be important to avoid an over bright or fatiguing system.

I suspect that you have tipped the balance a little to much which is giving rise to the fatigue. The 282 will reveal more of what the source is doing over the pre in the Supernait. It may improve as it warms up which could take a few days.

I don’t know if it’s possible but I would look at different sources that are more refined. An NDX or even NDS would slot in nicely if you are not adverse to streaming. Alternatively look for a used CDS3 which would probably address the issue.

I’m using an NDS/555ps wih the same amplification as you with S20’s and don’t find the system fatiguing, neither was it with NDX/XPS DR or NDS/XPSDR. I’ve also heard my old C20’s with NDX/XPS/82 and 135’s which didn’t sound fatiguing in any way. C20’s and S20’s sound very similar in terms of tonal balance hence I’m interchanging my experience with both speakers.

It may also be worth experimenting with speaker positioning, sometimes a change in a system can require a small adjustment.

1 Like

I have a NDX/282/HCDR/250.2 combination driving Spendor 2/3 and occasionally Spendor 3/5R2 speakers. With those speakers it never sounds tiring in my modest listening room, but it took a couple of weeks for the previously owned Naim boxes to settle in and lose any initial sibilance. The addition of a HiLine has also brought further benefits, but that, too, took a few weeks to settle in.

The large Spendors were also previously owned and took a week or so to settle in after a lengthy period of not being used. The smaller speakers took a while to settle in from new.
At the moment, I have no wish to change anything, except perhaps to add a power supply to the NDX. I would like to have a 552/500 combination connected to a modern streamer by the time I retire.

Just use the system for a few weeks or even months and you will probably hear an improvement, although it may be difficult to perceive as it will be gradual and you will become accustomed to the system sound.

After allowing the system to settle in, you might try tweaking the position of the speakers.

David

1 Like

Today things are getting better, I don’t know if I’m spoiling myself to the new sound but the voices that were quite shouty are more soft now and everything it’s getting more musical. The detail compared to the pre of the SN2 is on another level that’s for sure! The DTC that I already own will be the final test!

1 Like

I found the CDX2 was quite sensitive to what it is sitting on and experienced some of what you are experiencing - with same electronics. The solution, in my case, was a Naim Fraim - transformed it.
Sound was still quite forward (as the CDX2 is) but it became fatigue free and no longer shouty.

1 Like

Only time i have ever felt like a 282 was completely at ease with itself was with a SC2 and a 300 which i ran some years back. A couple of years ago a swapped out a 282/HC for an early pots 3 unserviced 82 with 2x CB Hicaps, into a serviced CB 250. The 82 was so much more enjoyable to listen to and the 282 was a distant memory very quickly.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I cannot get a Naim fraim because I’ve not enough free space to place it. At the moment I have a Quadraspire SV2T in bamboo and I’m very satisfied compared to my previous furniture, not dedicate rack. Anyway after some days the 282 is changing. It’s too early but I think it’s going to the right direction!!!

1 Like

I’ve just got my s/h 282 and I’d like to set it without thinking to the next upgrade step anyway never say never :grinning:…a supercap before and a 252 may be be the next natural upgrade!

Have to appreciate the diverse range of opinions on this forum especially the 82 vs 282 ones

1 Like

Is there some of you who compared the HCDR vs SCDR together with the 282/250DR?
I like very much HCDR , its punch and mid-bass but voices are a bit raw. Can a SC helps this without become too forward or bright?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.