SN2 vs SN3

One of the reviews stated this was new in the SN3

Is it or not in the sn2 ?

Not sure.

Can @Richard.Dane confirm

Ceramic insulators were used on the Supernait 2.

The big changes with the Supernait 3, phono stage aside, appear to be better sounding resistors and an improved power amp with faster power supply.

2 Likes

Add to that they removed cascode on driving amp stage doubling the slew rate

1 Like

Yes, that was part of the improved power amp with faster power supply.

In Layman’s terms that to me sounds like an improved gear box ratio with a higher revving engine to boot. I’m going to have to start saving for a SN3.

4 Likes

Yes, that was what I was thinking off. Whether an upgrade from a 2 to a 3 is warranted, I’m not so sure. I’m limited on box count, so separates are out, and the SN2 is a fine amp.

3 Likes

Naim have implied features that are in SN2 are new to SN3 when most of what they are featuring are common to both.
That includes ceramic mounted output transistors.
The improved slew rate isn’t in the power supply, it’s in the output stage.
So far as I can tell it’s not so much that the SN3 has more bass but quicker, better controlled bass. This gives better image depth.
I have no doubt the SN3 provides a better listening experience but how much of It will depend on the speakers being used?
I’m waiting for someone who has upgraded from SN2 to SN3 to explain why they did it.
I’m probably going to do it because I need the most I can get out of a single box Naim solution to help justify my 500 level source. The problem is that SN3’s are back ordered into November in the U.S. except for demos to dealers.

Bud

2 Likes

Product info for SN2.

• Ceramic heat sink isolation for improved sound quality on power and preamp sections

Well… maybe best to upgrade to a separates system like 282 or 272 with a nap250dr

Hi.

As I think some of you know, personally the SN2 seems to me more than enough to make the K6 shine, so, as long as the pairing is synergistic, it should be similar with any even speaker, and stellar with any other below.

I would never have changed the SN2 to jump to SN3 were it not for the failure that my unit has given, which, above all, has caused me to lose confidence in the unit, rather than the model.

In any case, I will tell you how the SN3 sounds in front of the SN2 in my setup when it arrives, install it, run it in, and go it settling…

Cheers.

4 Likes

I asked a long time friend and Naim dealer if the SN3 was worth waiting until November for a back ordered one and how would it compare to the SN2’

Here is his answer:
To answer your question - yes - the SN3 is absolutely worth the wait - the performance is simply huge over the already awesome SN2. Simply put - All aspects are better with the new kit.

I placed my order for one.

Bud

5 Likes

since we are on this topic and the balance control is the same for both SN2 and SN3 - i thought i would ask if you rotate the balance know fully wither direction say once in 2 weeks ?

I have a SN2 and yesterday i felt the left speaker was not delivering as loud as it should.

I thought it would be the recording and i confirmed this negative.

I thought it would be my trusty left ear but thanksfully that was a negative too…

On an instinct i reached for the balance control and the moment i turned it a bit to the left ( i remember ) - the left speaker came alive ( it was singing before but not as forcefully as the right one )

Needless to say i was relieved but i wonder why did this happen ?

thought i would share it here…

regards

But of course he’d say this. He’s a dealer. Sounds totally objective to me.

1 Like

True… but he’s never set me wrong over the many years I’ve known him.

1 Like
2 Likes

“It’s a useful upgrade in performance, but we don’t think anyone with a [Supernait 2] needs to change to this one.”

I wonder if it’s a money worth upgrade for me using SN1 then.

blimey.

I have only enjoyed the SN2, and for very little time, because it failed quite crashed quite a bit and I have returned it to the dealer, who will send me a SN3 new brand unit as soon as it is available, let’s hope…; but from what I have read and commented on, I would say that the jump from SN to SN2 is quite important, long much larger than that of SN2 to SN3, although I hope to experience the latter personally shortly, we will see…

Cheers.

1 Like

Just pulled the pin on a s/h 2018 SN2 at a good price. Hopefully I have made a good choice.

6 Likes

Normal WHF nonsense! Why test with ND555? This amp is clearly a match with NDX2 or ND5 XS2.
Again, just a superficial review which doesn’t look for short comings or comment on him levels or channel balance at low level.
Where are the true reviews these days? I don’t want fan boy reviews or “I must not annoy the manufacturer to justify my position” BS.
I long for realistic reviews that point out the bad points as well as the good plus real world comments on positioning idiosyncrasies as opposed to statements similar to ‘as long as you allow 250mm or so from a wall’. Why not describe the effects of tight against the wall or further out?
Ah well, rant over, time for another Guinness!

5 Likes