SN2 vs SN3

Hi @Stephen_Tate, yes I imagine it can be taken off and put on more centrally but to be honest it is not too far out so to me, just not worth bothering with.
If it was just the position of the balance control all would be well. My gripe is the fact that I have to adjust the balance. Control at different actual listening levels.

If I understand you correctly, this is now your second SN3 with the first one doing the same? If so? then this suggests to me that the problem may lay elsewhere, in fact i’m willing to bet that you may have a connection issue…

I did explore this and removed then remade all connections. I started with the NDX2 connected via the supplied lavender din cable and just the speakers connected via my usual chord speaker cable. Music was either streamed from Roon or via SSD connected to NDX2. I then replaced the lavender with chord epic interconnects - the problem was the same.
I then disconnected the NDX2 and connected my Oppo 105 with the same attached SSD of ripped CDs. Again the same problem. With NDX2 and Oppo connected the problem remained.
Connecting my Sky Q box to Oppo to watch tv resulted in the same problem.
This SN3 has a louder Left channel at low volumes, my previous SN3 had a louder right channel but balanced out at a lower volume than this SN3 so this SN3 is worse.
My previous SN2 did not have any imbalance at more than a whisper. All connections and gear has remained the same with all three Supernaits.

I really do wish that there was a connection problem that I could find and fix!
Any ideas?

1 Like

Same on headphones?

Yes, same on headphones. However, listening with headphones is seldom for casual/background listening so I would not ever listen quietly enough for the imbalance to be a problem.

Has anyone tried the Hicap DR with specifically the SN3? Have an NDX2 and XPSDR, wondering whether a discounted ex demo HicapDR is worth it…

Also would it only effect playing vinyl (when SN3 is used on its own), or would it effect the whole set up?

Thanks

The HicapDR would affect the sound of the SN3 for whichever source is playing through it however only your ears will know if it’s worth the cost in your system so best to audition it yourself.

I have Hcap with SN3 ,demo’d at dealer and then home,I bought it ,but agree with other comment,you need to listen for yourself to be sure.

1 Like

In the interview piece with Steve Sells I did for the current issue of HiFiCritic, to accompany the SN3 review, reference was made to ‘ALPS Blue Velvet potentiometers for volume control, chosen for their
sound quality even though their accuracy of tracking at really low volumes isn’t the greatest.’

So it’s a known foible of these devices, yet Naim chooses to use them on sonic grounds.

1 Like

Yes, since I have long been using a SN2/HiCap DR: the effect to my ears with the SN3 is a little extra presence and slightly more bass grip, but the change is considerably less than that when comparing SN2 with and without HiCap DR.

Whether you think the gains are sufficient to justify the cost is really only something your ears can tell you.

5 Likes

as a current SN2 owner thats a helpful observation…

In your view…can the Hicap DR be placed on top of the SN2 or does it deserve a space of its own - adjacent to the SN2 or in a separate shelf on top of the SN2 ?

I think on top of a SN2 would be the worst place for a Hi-Cap including on a shelf! I understand power supplies should be a good distance away from the preamp (including the one in the SN2). To get the most out of it a separate shelf is generally recommended, never putting one naim unit directly sat on another. Some users do ‘successfully’ have units along side each other. In my set up I have in shelf order from top to bottom - SN2, CDX2, 250DR, Hi-CapDR - which for me is what works best.

1 Like

Definitely on a separate shelf – in my set-up the HiCap DR is actually on a different rack!

2 Likes

Anyone else that can give some user related feedback on the SN3? :slight_smile: I’m one of those that thinks HIFI media to often is biased (buy ads and you’ll get 5 stars!)

Regardless of phono stage, IMO the SN3 sounds quite a lot better than the SN2. Only by hearing it for ones self can a decision be made as to its worth. Buying hifi on the back of someone elses opinion is rarely a good idea, but collective opinions can help towards selecting what to listen to in the first instance.

5 Likes

Did you receive your stuff ?

I just received my SN3 with a nd5 last week…

The sound is just too much… Its a deep experience of density like ive never heard…
Paired with some ATC 40 and a Hi-line on Tidal.

Is this a good thing or bad? SN3 isn’t here in North America yet, but I have my eye on the same combo of electronics that you have + a HiCapDR.

They are arrived in north america, i am from Canada. They are just arrived in very limited quantity, just a few. And i lucky enough to have receives mine.

I think you shoul compare between the hi-line and the hi-cap. Personnaly i think rhe hi-line make the biggest amelioration.
And it can give you extra cash for a used fraim or just save it.

Too much in a awsome way, it is totaly adictive and so much satisfying…

2 Likes

I’ve been running a SN3 with a HCDR for several weeks now in my home. Coming from a SN2 with same HCDR the improvement to my ears with the SN3 is quite noticeable. Noise floor is lower then the SN2, dynamics (especially on the low end) is more detailed and pronounced. I’d call it a solid 20-25% improvement over the SN2. And I don’t do vinyl. Just UPNP from my Core to my NDX2 and occasional Qobuz and Amazon.

2 Likes

Thanks @benjonobo. Don’t worry I have a Hi-Line as well! Lucky you that you have a SN3 already. Guess I’ll be calling my dealer tomorrow(or Tuesday).