SN2 vs SN3

I still have my SN1 so if I buy the SN3 I will be one of a few owning the whole SN range :laughing:

4 Likes

@Blackbird

Buy it!

We need that Ultimate Supernait Shootout review!

:smiley:

2 Likes

Yes ! Do it !! :laughing:

About 10 hours in and learning more about the volume setting options on the NDX 2 and automation. I cannot bring the volume closer to 9 o’clock on the SN3 without feeling it’s too loud and somewhat aggressive sounding. Moving the dial back to 8 o’clock seems to sound much better. This is with and without automation on with the NDX 2 on fixed mode volume setting mode.

I quickly tried variable, which is nice as it allows to control the volume from within the app but I need to sort out how much gain to put on the SN3 at as I control the volume from the NXD 2.

I know I need to give it some time to settle but I am not sure I like the SN3/NDX 2 (first impressions). SN3 is a dryer sounding presentation, perhaps lacking some finesse. I know I’ll have that “holy s**t” moment. It’s likely that both are new and the NDX 2 is a very revealing front end, which I also need to adapt to. The Nova was easier to listen to, even out of the box, albeit lacking in some areas.

1 Like

The hardness should ease off after a week or two and then it will carry on improving for about 9 months, so there is lots to look forward to. I settled on using system automation, which lets you control volumes through the app or the NDX2 remote and is quite slick. Enjoy. It should be quite a lift over the Nova, which I moved up from too.

3 Likes

You could join this thread, it might be useful:

2 Likes

On the second week you will start noticing the changes while it settles a bit, then in about 2 months things will be very different and easy to listen to, you will notice the control in has on the speakers, harshness will disappear, that was my biggest concern. That was what I experienced with sn2. Moving from 5si at first I thought it was a mistake, but before I sold it, on a few occasions I switched amps just to compare and then I realised there is no way I go back to 5si, not that it is bad, it’s just sn2 is far, far beyond.

2 Likes

Ants, as others have said, give it time and everything will fall into place…

…then watch out, you will demo a power supply with the NDX2 and it will reach another level!

2 Likes

Ok, so I’m collecting the SN3 tomorrow. Will have SN1, SN2, SN3 in my house tomorrow evening. Suggestions what to do with that situation? :grin:

2 Likes

Listen to some music ???

3 Likes

An hour with SN1, another with SN2…then SN3.

And…breathe…

Then, we’re all eyes!

2 Likes

Run them all in av mode see if there is any difference :slight_smile:

Jenga?

4 Likes

Are you located in the US?

Sweden

Thanks.

I’d like to stack the SN generation for a photo. They can handle the weight, right? SN1 can carry 2 and 3 directly on top? :slight_smile:

Going from SN1 to SN2 was a great improvement. I do find the SN1 having a bit more boogie and PRaT compared to SN2 which is more rounded and gentle in comparison. But where the SN1 more easy could cause listening fatigue the SN2 is an all day amp that let’s you enjoy for longer. Let’s see what the SN3 adds to this trio. Maybe a blend of SN1 boogie and SN2 warmth?

I have a MC phono setup today so I will not have the possibility to try that out and it is unlikely that I will change my Heed Quasar 3 phono stage and go with the inbuilt MM stage. I would be very surprised if that MM stage was better.

1 Like

You can’t expect the amps to perform properly if you stack them like that. It also suggests that maybe you want to swap quickly between them to make comparisons, which never works for me. I would put one amp in the rack, properly installed, and just relax and listen for a few days. Then try another.

1 Like

If it’s just for a photo it will be fine. Don’t leave them stacked for long as the rubber feet will mark the cases and it’s really hard to get the marks off.

It might be hard getting all 3 to smile at the same time

5 Likes