SN2 vs SN3

as a current SN2 owner thats a helpful observation…

In your view…can the Hicap DR be placed on top of the SN2 or does it deserve a space of its own - adjacent to the SN2 or in a separate shelf on top of the SN2 ?

I think on top of a SN2 would be the worst place for a Hi-Cap including on a shelf! I understand power supplies should be a good distance away from the preamp (including the one in the SN2). To get the most out of it a separate shelf is generally recommended, never putting one naim unit directly sat on another. Some users do ‘successfully’ have units along side each other. In my set up I have in shelf order from top to bottom - SN2, CDX2, 250DR, Hi-CapDR - which for me is what works best.

1 Like

Definitely on a separate shelf – in my set-up the HiCap DR is actually on a different rack!

2 Likes

Anyone else that can give some user related feedback on the SN3? :slight_smile: I’m one of those that thinks HIFI media to often is biased (buy ads and you’ll get 5 stars!)

Regardless of phono stage, IMO the SN3 sounds quite a lot better than the SN2. Only by hearing it for ones self can a decision be made as to its worth. Buying hifi on the back of someone elses opinion is rarely a good idea, but collective opinions can help towards selecting what to listen to in the first instance.

5 Likes

Did you receive your stuff ?

I just received my SN3 with a nd5 last week…

The sound is just too much… Its a deep experience of density like ive never heard…
Paired with some ATC 40 and a Hi-line on Tidal.

Is this a good thing or bad? SN3 isn’t here in North America yet, but I have my eye on the same combo of electronics that you have + a HiCapDR.

They are arrived in north america, i am from Canada. They are just arrived in very limited quantity, just a few. And i lucky enough to have receives mine.

I think you shoul compare between the hi-line and the hi-cap. Personnaly i think rhe hi-line make the biggest amelioration.
And it can give you extra cash for a used fraim or just save it.

Too much in a awsome way, it is totaly adictive and so much satisfying…

2 Likes

I’ve been running a SN3 with a HCDR for several weeks now in my home. Coming from a SN2 with same HCDR the improvement to my ears with the SN3 is quite noticeable. Noise floor is lower then the SN2, dynamics (especially on the low end) is more detailed and pronounced. I’d call it a solid 20-25% improvement over the SN2. And I don’t do vinyl. Just UPNP from my Core to my NDX2 and occasional Qobuz and Amazon.

2 Likes

Thanks @benjonobo. Don’t worry I have a Hi-Line as well! Lucky you that you have a SN3 already. Guess I’ll be calling my dealer tomorrow(or Tuesday).

Thanks JNelson2000. I’m really looking forward to hearing the improvements. It’s bonus time of the year at work, so hopefully a few extra pennies for updated equipment.

I actually only finalized the order two weeks ago and decided to go with the NDX2/SN3 combo. Like yourself, being in Canada, there is very limited availability for the SN3, so it may take a few weeks to month before receiving it. Hopefully, the NDX2 will arrive shortly as there is plenty of inventory.

Really looking forward to it, I’ve been without a stereo for some time now.

4 Likes

The only complaint that I have about my SN2 is that its headphones output is just acceptable, not outstanding.

Has anybody compared the headphones output of the SN3 to that of the SN2 one? Is it significantly better or more or less the same? Thanks, nbpf

Hi @nbpf, I can’t say that there is a significant difference if any at all. I haven’t used the headphone socket much but enough for me to conclude that it is no worse than the SN2. In my opinion and to my ears with my Oppo PM2 headphones, I find it to be a very good headphone amp.
If you don’t rate the SN2 headphone amp, you won’t rate the SN3’s either.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! Best, nbpf.

Quite the opposite for me, not sure what you have compared it against and what headphones you are using, but I would say that my hd660s sound pretty outstanding via sn2 hp output, the difference between sn2 and my DAC V1 outputs is huge. Bearing in mind that V1 is designed as a desktop/headphone amp, and even then sn2’s HP output is miles away from it.

1 Like

Interesting! About three years ago I have bought the HD800 after having listened to it and to a number of Audeze headphones through my SN2 and through a DAC V1.

My impression was that the DAC V1 was significantly more engaging than the SN2 with all the headphones I tried.

Perhaps there is something wrong with my SN2 but I seem to remember that, when the SN2 came out, reviews were generally very positive but mentioned the headphones output as being nothing special.

I seem to recall reviews stating that the SN2 had an excellent SQ Class A headphone amp and I would have to agree. The SN3 to my ears is the same.

The only less than glowing review was of the SN3’s phono stage which was deemed to be very competent but not amazing. I am obviously paraphrasing. I can’t comment on the phono stage as I have not used it and am not likely to as I have no interest in vinyl.

I run HD800s on a SN2 and the sound is amazing, having a great source will help.

I’ll have to give my HD800s another try! I listen through the speakers most of the time, perhaps it is just that I have to learn to listen through the headphones. Or perhaps it is my tinnitus that spoils the headphones experience!