SN2 vs SN3

In Europe it’s been available in most authorised retail for many weeks.

Well there is at least one here in Germany:

I’ll give you a short summary once I’ve read it :grinning:

2 Likes

That is correct. Naim was bringing it to Cedia this week. It performed very well for us at RMAF. When we asked when we might see them in the US we were told end of September.

I have reported that my SN3 is a clear step up from my SN2. The main difference seems to be dynamics - it seems to cope better with all types of music and has less ‘bloat’ to the bass (not that the SN2 bass was by any means bloated) - notes start quickly and have. More natural decay. This could even be deemed as lighter bass on first listening (and against most reviews of the amp) but is actually just more control.

I class the upgrade over SN2 as significant for the above reason, again, flying in the face of professional reviewers who deem it a less than significant improvement.

2 Likes

I found my HiCAP added some refinement in detail and separation, which for me improved the musicality. But I also added an XPS DR to my NDX2 at the same time, and combined, the lift was significant across the board.

1 Like

In the review that Naim posted, this is covered in detail. It’s an improvement in the power amp section that increases the speed of signal delivery that improves timing, apparently something that was developed in the statement.

2 Likes

bad news for me too. My 250 dr has 1 year and i feel we will soon see 250dr.2, 300dr.2 …all improved power amps on the basis on statement technology.

2 Likes

A change in transistors removed the requirement for a protection stage. Removing that doubled the slew rate. In other words it’s now faster than the SN2.
I’ve also heard that the headphone amp can now supply more current to handle hard to drive headphones.
I’m still not convinced the SN3 would be worth it to me. First of all, I’d be paying for Vinyl support that I’d never use and improving bass might not mean much with my Harbeth 30.2’s which are usually played at low volumes. I put the money into an upgrade to ND555/555PS. As Naim says, Source Matters.

3 Likes

Leatherneck, from your post here pasted, i don’t understand why nd555 now. You downsized from Aavik/ Raidho to Nova…

Yup, I was deep into Ansuz, Aavik and Raidho. Then I turned around and downsized all the way back to a Naim Nova. Now I can sleep at night knowing that I’ve gone back to making the music more important then the hardware.

My system now is the Nova feeding Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversaries connected w/Super Lumina cables. One Ansuz DTC Power Chord about covered the cost.

I think it’s the most satisfying system I’ve owned in decades.

Bud

2 Likes

It’s a long story. I loved the ease of use of the Nova and I was happy with it’s SQ although I did miss the Aurender N10 streamer I had.

My long time dealer suggested I trade the Nova for an SN2/NDX/XPS demo package he’d been using to show Kudos speakers. With System Automation it was every bit as easy to use as the Nova with much better SQ. I made the trade.

Then a friend of mine told my dealer that I might be interested in upgrading the XPS to a 555PS which was supposed to made a big impact. At the time there was a one day Naim Sale going on so when my dealer contacted me I had about an hour left to get in on the sale. I swapped the XPS for a new 555PS.

Now I was fat, dumb and happy except I had a power supply that would work with a streamer Naim says is the best they can make so I decided it would be a good opportunity to dispose of some expensive cables I no longer had a use for. I bought a new ND555.

I was able to retain the easy of use of the Nova with a considerable increase in sound quality while taking advantage of some opportunities to fund it.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

I’m happy to be back with Naim. For years I lusted after Naim. My dream system was Naim/Linn/Spender. I could never afford it.

6 Likes

the problem is that the SN is the botttleneck now. The Aavik was more appropriate to reveal the nd555. How long will you resist to upgrade from the SN now…?

Congratulations on the Streamer and PS upgrade!

I look forward to hearing how they sound working with the SN2 and Harbeth 30.2 speakers.

Semper Fi

That’s not my only problem. I learned with an NDS that I needed a Naim Fraim for it. I have a mid-level Quadraspire rack.

I’m going back to Naim 100% including cables. I’ve got the home network and now the source as good as I can make it. I’m limited in space, The Harbeth’s are the first speaker that works in it and I love thin-wall montters. I must have a remote controlled headphone amp, The SN2 provides that as well as System Animation.

Maybe an SN3 is in my future but I’d have to demo it first.

2 Likes

Thanks, I hope to get the 555PS late next week. Naim is supposed to ship the ND555 to my dealer on Monday so it’s going to be a while before its all together, I’m going to try the 555PS with the NDX to see if I should have stopped.
Semper Fi

2 Likes

Yes, this is exactly why I went with the SN2 as well.

I wouldn’t worry. The DR amplifiers already include the transistors developed for Statement.

Still preferring my sn2 fed by dac v1 in av mode, Naim somehow went wrong with sn2 pre amp, not sure what dr regulation is there for. might be just me. amp section is sweet though.

would love to have amp section compared to the one in sn3.

however the amp section of the SN is improved now.

I didn’t know you could do this so have just given it a try.
Was expecting the SN2 in av mode to sound much worse but am pretty gobsmacked as there’s not a huge difference and it certainly doesn’t sound bad.
Will give it some extended listening to get a better idea of the differences.
Another thing which i wasn’t expecting is that the SN2 sub out is still functioning which is a bonus.

Well that test didn’t last too long. Bottom line is that I prefer the DAC into SN2 via fixed level as Naim intended as it gives me a fuller bass and smoother overall sound.
Still surprised how close it sounds through av bypass though. I get a bigger change when switching between my preferred DAC V1 and a Qutest using the normal line inputs.

2 Likes