SN2 vs SN3

Another Supernait 3 review just in from The Ear. You can read it here:

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/naim-supernait-3-integrated-amplifier

5 Likes

I think the reviewer rather likes itšŸ˜Ž

1 Like

Incidentally that review mentions the new Vertere deck, the MG1 Mk2, Touraj mentioned it to me when I was at the factory a few weeks ago, but didnā€™t have one on the rack at the time, he was calling it the MG2.

I think soā€¦

A very enthusiastic review indeed! :smiley:

Itā€™s very encouraging to read that the reviewer felt that the soundstage was impressive ā€“ great for orchestral music! :+1: Not only in the review but also here it has been mentioned that sound stage and 3D imaging are not typically Naimā€™s ā€œselling pointsā€ā€¦ So I wondered, out of curiosity, what amplifiers were typically associated with great soundstage?

Cheers!

1 Like

Well, thatā€™s a rather glowing review!

Still doing the box count thing with regard to an imminent upgrade purchase. SN3 still figuring very highly in the stakes - and only partly due to domestic space issues. Iā€™ll be dem-ing soonā€¦
Sitting on my hands for this one!

3 Likes

@Naim_The_Dragon. Audio Research, Ayre, Boulder, MBL, Ayon, Roland, Sudgen, Plinius, Mark Levinsonā€¦ does that help :blush:

Decided that the SN3 + ND5 XS 2 is the next step for me which will replace a Uniti Nova. Will be ordering this week. Should make for a nice kit with my Melco N1A/2.

10 Likes

Been living with my SN3 since itā€™s launch,absolutely love it,but I never had SN2,so canā€™t compare.Rest of system is CDX2,HiCap DR,ATC SCM40 speakers,also Rega RP6,which Iā€™ve got lined up with Rega Fono MM mk2. Have tried it through SN3 phono stage,which I thought wasnā€™t bad,Rega Fono maybe slightly better. Trouble is now,I was happy with RP6,but now feel that CDX2 sounds more natural,so am now looking for RP10 upgrade !

1 Like

So far, regarding the release of the SN3, Iā€™ve read late July, August, and now, end of September. September is now over half over (09/19/19)ā€¦and no word yet. Anyone betting on October?

On a related SN3 subject, Iā€™ve read where the SN3 is supposed to have increased output power (WPC). But there is nothing on the NAIM website that states how much more power the SN3 is supposed to have. It still lists the SN3 as having 80 WPC x 2 into 8 ohms, same as the SN2???

Purely speculation on my part, but, Iā€™m wondering if the SN3 might have needed some last minute tweaking to significantly increase output power to make the SN3 more competitive. Most of the SN3ā€™s competitors have at least 100 WPC x 2 into 8 ohms.That might also explain the delay in releasing the SN3. Like I said, pure speculation.

Itā€™s already out dude

I guess I missed that there are people who actually own a SN3. Now, for the question regarding a power increase in the SN3?

Nope, still 80w

Whatā€™s Naims take on wattage and keeping it sub 100W? Can one read about it somewhere and the reason for it?

Naim have traditionally avoided using parallel output devices (this is a very good thing, mainly because of the difficulty of perfectly matching them - though not impossible where cost is no object, as the Statement amp has shown) which has given the amps a performance advantage but also put a limit on power output. This is why, before the Statement, when more power was needed the decision was taken with the 500 to go bridged, thus still avoiding paralleled output devices but giving much greater power output.

In the real word of course, unless you are using really low sensitivity speakers, or wanting very high playback levels from a difficult speaker, then 80W/channel into an 8 ohm load is plenty. Most of the time youā€™ll rarely be using more than the first few watts anyway. Back in the old days Naim and Naimā€™s dealers used to take some pleasure in demonstrating that measured power in itself was not that important, but a stiff power supply certainly was essential. Thereā€™s a story that Naimā€™s founder, Julian vereker would demonstrate the original NAIT (approx 15w/channel into 8 ohms) against whatever commercial ā€œ100 wattā€ amp was the flavour of the month into a pair of difficult load speakers. The NAIT would invariably sound much better and would still be playing nicely long after the supposedly more powerful amp had either distorted, shut down or blown up.

8 Likes

more power as for sound quality impression. Itā€™s the feeling of the power. More control, grip, and focus.

I seem to remember that when asked by journalists how many watts per channel the Nait was, he used to reply ā€œEnoughā€.

Yes, the actual power output of the NAIT was the subject of some debate early on as no actual figure was published by Naim. This in an age when power output numbers meant everything in hifi - and it was generally considered the bigger the number the better the amp. I think the magazines generally found it measured around 15w/channel into 8 ohms but sounded much more powerful in real world listening.

1 Like

Perhaps in your part of the world! :grinning:

The 80 watts in my nova is more than enough for me and I sit 14 feet from speakers, drives my Dynaudio x38s effortlessly!