SN3 DIN cable & Speakers

Hello dear community, I have had an SN3 & NDX2 for a short time and love it. Nevertheless, I have 2 questions for you: 1. which of the following DIN cables would you recommend. Chord Company Shawline DiN, Naim HiLine DIN or Witchhat DIN. 2. I think my B&W 602 are the weakest link in the chain. Which speakers have the proper depth (bass) would you recommend to me? I would like the appearance of ATC SCM 40. Or do you think I should consider a sub. Thank you in advance.

All Dins are the weak link use RCAs instead I do. :wink: :+1:t2:
Subs are for AV not Hi Fi IMO. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Hi @ThOmSoN
I have a SN3 and NDX2. I use a power line on the SN3 and connect them with a Hi Line which is a great DIN option providing you can install it correctly and that it’s hanging freely without touching anything including the floor. I’m with @Skeptikal - the right speakers shouldn’t need a sub in a hifi set up IMHO.

3 Likes

Adding a sub will still mean you are limited by those B&Ws. The best thing to do is to try a range of alternative speakers and see which you prefer. As to cables, the supplied interconnect is already very good. I rather like the Tellurium Q Black II if you want an alternative. I saw a Super Lumina Din interconnect selling used for £850 yesterday, which would be very nice.

Thank you for your information. I have an appointment next week for trial listening for ATC’s and Blumenhofer Acoustics

1 Like

Without any shadow of a doubt - HiLine. It matches the NDX 2 & SN3, and supremely so.

3 Likes

I picked up a Rel t5/x sub several months ago and love it. Integrates well with my ATC 11s. Will probably get a second one soon.

Not according to Naim (?)

2 Likes

Obviously. :roll_eyes:
Heinz Beanz are the best Beanz according to Heinz. :wink:

1 Like

The NDX2/XPSDR/HiLine/HiCapDR/SN3/NACA5 into NEAT Motive SX2 speakers is an absolutely sensational system. Way more than the sum of its parts. Highly recommended!:ok_hand:

3 Likes

Not quite got the insight of the nSAT’s or the bass control from the nSUB, but in every other way (especially texturally & tonally), the Motive 2’s are absolutely magnificent. Such a cheeky pair of speakers! :rofl:

It’s about time that someone clarifies things a little for young audiophiles.

RCA plugs were never meant to be used for audio signals. They were used in other applications, for speakers connection sometimes but not for audio signals. They haven’t the proper impedance.

For all of the sixties and seventies all across Europe (and I don’t mean EU) the standard, proper connection for audio signals was the DIN one. Practically all brands used them, and Naim made, and makes, no exception.

The universal use of RCA plugs is a probable effect of the idea that a larger contact surface is better than a smaller one. But it is actually not. And I am constantly amazed, beyond recognition and understanding, by the fact that so many Naim users worship the brand but are unable to accept that the proper plug is the DIN one - probably believing that they know better than the engineers in their most beloved factory.

People are really strange.

And BTW, OP: just use the so called ‘lavender’ interconnect. It’s better than most of what you mentioned.

6 Likes

Your opinion.
Not with my ears.
Obviously people are brainwashed into what a manufacturer preaches.
Dins are a multi pin connector for compromised complicated signal paths and usually sharing one earth or ground at a time doing the opposite of ideal separation.
Believe what you like but true professional connectors are in the studio RCA or XLR for locking situations.
Small locking connectors usually for very low power are BNC
All else is a shared compromise for convenience and less wiring situations.
You won’t change my mind I use my ears.

1 Like

A point of order (if I may be so bold)
The signal return on Naim (-ve) is common throughout each component and with a DIN cable this circuit topology is maintained.
In theory a DIN with its common -ve will reduce low level noise.
Whereas when connected via RCA the common -ve is separated.
Separating the common -ve for the short RCA section may not be an audible problem (bat ears excepted) but it is for a Naim purist.

1 Like

Whatever.
The choice of cable quality is seriously limited by a compromise connector or we get into ridiculous fudges like this for thousands of pounds.
If you think this is acceptable then don’t reply.

If you really weally are willing to pay the insane money that ‘some companies’ are asking for the unmitigated bodge-up that the cable in your pic is, then I for sure would look at RCA.
Or maybe better, I’ll stick with my own DIY DIN’s
IMG_2672

And BTW a bodger in my neck of the woods (Chilterns beech woods) is a revered craftsman.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t entertain any of that if given in a gift it’s a total monstrosity aimed at those who either don’t know any better or are the perfect customer.
I wanted to use the same cable that came with my klimax product Urika for my deck and wasn’t in any way interested in using fudged adaptor cables or sockets that I know from years in the industry are compromise for minimal wiring.
The connectivity is limited unless you accept a fudge.
Naim have to use these or there would be far too much cabling to sell the product so scrimping on wire cost manufacture is the convenient way.
Let’s tell them about shared returns and star earthing.
It’s all an alternative cheaper way to do it.
Your money your choice.

1 Like

Trying to remember the connections to my Naim pre-amp many years ago…I think, but I am not sure, that line level was DIN, but that phono was RCA.
I think it’s all about implementations, and should not be about tribalism…‘Naim and Naim only know how to do it right’. We see the same in other facets of design, ‘SMPSs must be bad’ - this is just not true. If it sounds good, it is good, whatever the design principle.

1 Like

This.

And probably ‘free’…

1 Like

I cannot take the SX2’s any longer - their dynamic tonal quality is great, but sadly let down by an over-powering ‘reflex port’ bass quality. Simple as (the neighbours are complaining), Gone. Get away from me.