SN3 faulty- return to Naim- AR A60 stand in advice needed

No problem Tony.

My dealer emailed Naim last Saturday. They received a repair slot back from Naim at the beginning of this week. I need to drop off at the dealer on 6/2 for them to send down to Salisbury. Who then should have the amp back to the dealer within the subsequent 4 weeks.

A60 arrived this evening- so pleased with the appearance- am yet to connect it up for a listen- and remove the humming monster…!

1 Like

Very nice
I owned one in 1979 :upside_down_face:
Ahh good times
Mine looked like this

3 Likes

I actually prefer that wood finish to the black- but this particular one was too good to miss. I have been looking for one for a while.

I phoned my dealer it’s off on its trip next Monday :grinning: :innocent:
Will keep you posted
Thanks
Tony

1 Like

I have an A60 in my second system in the bedroom, when my Olive 102/Hi Cap/180 kit was away at Class A being serviced a couple of years ago I used the A60 in the main system driving my NEAT IOTA Alpha’s. No it wasn’t as good, but the sound was still sublime, it really is a lovely amp and provided lots of listening pleasure.

Since then I have gone to a NAC 82 and two Hi Caps so the SQ difference is much bigger.

2 Likes

Looking forward to reading what you think of the A60 now. My first UK amp before Naim and I loved it. I left it and my old system with my ex after we broke up (I kept the Linn/Naim!) She would have looked after it. In fact, I wonder if she still has it…

1 Like

Will be setting it up this weekend so will let you know Steve.
Am interested to hear what it’s like- sometimes a change is a good thing albeit temporarily
Jonathan

1 Like

There is a lot of love this amp on the forum- accepting that it won’t be up to the standard of even my system- let alone others with separates etc.
Will report back when I’ve given it a listen

Just set up the A60- and am giving it a listen- having spun a few discs via the SN3 earlier for comparison sake.
Initial thoughts:
Looks lovely and the green led matches the Naim stuff :rofl:
Sound wise- lovely warm timbre- the opposite of clinical. Bass significantly less obvious cf SN3 and what’s there is a bit bloated at times.
Vocals sound lovely and the the difference between the 2 amps still there, just less immediately obvious than the lower frequencies
Higher register- cannot really identify any difference- but I’m 58 so may be my ears rather than anything else.
Good PRAT but transients seem slow cf SN3 - I find it difficult to describe music in words but the sound is “rounded off” somewhat.
Soundstage and imaging also significantly constrained.
Power- my speakers are pretty efficient and it has no difficulty powering them to a decent volume with no clipping etc.
Having said all that- although there is a clear quality difference I still absolutely love it for many reasons, and could happily live with it for however long.
What impresses me is that something 42 years old albeit serviced etc can sound so brilliant up against £5k worth of modern amplification.
Picture below for info!

9 Likes

Looks great. Did you have the power LED changed to green to match the Naim kit ?

1 Like

No- I bought it already restored electronically and cosmetically so this was a nice surprise as I was expecting red!
A bit further in on the listening and it is fantastic.
There is something special about some of this old kit.

4 Likes

Hi Endon
All set for Monday :innocent:

Yep- in fact dropped off today as I am in Spain next week.
See my comment on what have you done in the last 24 hours thread
Will keep the forum posted!!

Any news on your amp from Naim yet?

Not yet
I keep wanting to phone and pester them :joy: :upside_down_face:
All I know is it went off on the 23rd of Jan and I am rediscovering my listening through headphones so not all bad

2 Likes

Headphones and hifi is not something I’ve ever really tried.
Must give it some consideration.
Hope all gets fixed to your satisfaction
Jonathan

It took just 4 weeks from emailing naim and explaining my problem to it landing back at my dealer this afternoon
How’s that for brilliant service thank you guys :innocent:
Looking forward to collecting it tomorrow and listening to it again over the weekend
Hope yours gets sorted too Jonathan
All the best
Tony

2 Likes

That is fantastic service- hope all fixed and sounding amazing once again.
I’ll update you when I get my - hopefully much quieter - sn3 back!
Enjoy.

I received my SN3 back from Naim on Monday - 18 days from me dropping off at the dealer, albeit it had been “booked in” a few weeks prior.

The hum (as opposed to hiss) on the LH phono channel is now nothing more than a memory :grinning:

3 Likes

Result…!!! Well done, Salisbury…!!!

1 Like