SN3 review by Steve Huff on YouTube

9 Likes

Great review, and thank goodness he chose the SN3 over the Rose! His reaction to the speaker output was amusing though.

3 Likes

Wait until you stick a HiCap DR through it :grin:

4 Likes

Best not to read the comments - Too many idiots, as usual :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I don’t see where is exactly the problem with the outputs, apart the cables have to cross themselves.

1 Like

One interesting comment - He has a dCS Dac and it shows Spotify at 16/44
I have personally found Spotify to be sounding much better lately, but no idea if they have upped their game.
Here is a screen grab from the video ( @ 5:22 )

I’m not familiar with dCS equipment, so this could just be a dSC internal processing thing!

3 Likes

I understand the slightly lyrical sentiments over the SN3 “musicality” (I get it too), and for all its insight and beautiful grip, it can sound a bit of a Saint Bernard-like furry music ball sometimes - what I’ve found out, however, is that when paired with the Atom HE, the two of them somehow get all the attack back, which is something I’not quite heard with the NDX2 for example. I was surprised how breathtakingly alive these two can be, proper good, and I thought the SN3 at its best.

2 Likes

I own a late Supernait 2 so quite similar and after being a serial box swapper for many years I’ve not felt the need to upgrade even to a SN3 or to add a Hicap DR.

7 Likes

Neither do I, I just found it amusing that he made such a point about it in his review.

2 Likes

Excellent! Just read a few, contributions to the comments sections.

1 Like

I like the reviews he does, he gives honest opinions on what he hears and gives comparisons to higher end items against lower priced ones.
And most newbie’s to Naim do think the speaker connection is different! But after hearing music portrayed the Naim way you get what they are doing and things like the speaker connection isn’t important.
That’s why he said because of the sound it’s not a deal breaker. He did also comment how classy the looks are!

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this @frenchrooster. Very nice review for sure. He comes across as very believable.

1 Like

Steve is well known to change hifi gear like changing clothes. All the new gear he reviewed and bought, equipment that he thought is the best of the best usually don’t last more than 1 year in his system especially the amps. He owned the Luxman and Pass Labs before, amps which he mentioned in his reviews to be his endgame but they are all gone now. Nevertheless, he looks like a nice guy.

4 Likes

And…each review is the greatest, most wonderful unit of the moment until it isn’t anymore when the next unit is reviewed.

From the SFs to the Klipsch to the Fleetwoods or from the Denafrips Ares to the Pontus through to the Terminator, each one is a revolutionary technological marvel at the time of review.

Agree that he seems to be a nice fellow and his enthusiastic writing is entertaining but like any reviewer’s subjective opinion, it must be taken with a grain of salt and can never replace one’s own personal experience/judgment.

6 Likes

I agree with you, over the last 12 months or so Spotify has been sounding superb in my system. I was unimpressed by my 30d free Trial of Tidal and went straight back to Spotify. We are not the only ones to notice this. Any posts to this effect I notice go ignored however which is why I’m taking t(e opportunity to reply. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi garcon, I’m using HE and SN3 as well, through av input but with av bypass off. Atom is set at 80% volume and I control overall volume trough SN. I tried av bypass configuration and this one, did not find much of a difference. May I ask how are you connecting them, and if it does make a differencee to you?

1 Like

Ah that’s interesting, as I didn’t know that he’s a regular box swapper. I look forward to the video of the SN3 replacement then!

1 Like

I just use the Stream on the SN3 and have the volume at about 9-9.30am. I’ve limited the max volume of the Atom to 70-80% to avoid mishaps and control the volume through its remote or the App as it’s more convenient using just one remote/control point most of the time.

1 Like

Another one here, even to the point I trialled Quboz and cancelled it in preference. Much of it was the app vs Spotify app but I honestly didn’t feel I was missing anything SQ wise, if anything I found it sounded a bit stark and thin.

1 Like

Is this the guy that communicates with people in the afterlife?

EDIT: Yes it is!

1 Like