So DSOTM 50yr, what do we think?

My own copy is from I guess 1974 or 75…? All later PF LP’s I bought ‘new’, on release, but DSOTM had already been out for a while when I got it - as either a Birthday or Christmas present…

1 Like

It’s a pleasure, I, somehow have just got to 66, so my guess about your age range was correct! And we need to help each other feel good as fellow humans!!

1 Like

I can split the difference between you and @stuart.ashen - at 64… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

happy to reduce the average age for you guys then… :innocent:

1 Like

I see a pattern developing here!

42?

Bah……bunch of youngsters, you are! :grin:

4 Likes

Oh, we wish!!

Phil Brown has a chapter on recording this show in his book, Are We Still Rolling?
He was looking forward to having a day off and got phoned at 10.15am and was effectively ordered that he had to go to Wembley to do it. He wasn’t happy about it but did end up enjoying the recording.

2 Likes

I am so glad he did. My vinyl copy has just been delivered and it is clearly better than the Qobuz Hi Res streaming. Very immediate. I have stopped buying vinyl but the '18 Animals and this have been exceptional in my view.

5 Likes

That’s interesting. I have the cd rip from the previous box set and played a good chunk of it this morning. I have heard so much about the vinyl being better that I have now ordered this and very much look forward to hearing it and comparing. I actually ordered the vinyl when it was announced but then cancelled it as I thought I didn’t need another version!

1 Like

It is a no brainer at £17 from the river. Now I am too old to get excited by posters but two are included!

3 Likes

Good move, and we always need another version!!

1 Like

I bought and still have in good nick the original album when it was released in 1973. It’s become so embedded in my brain that I find other mixes somewhat odd.

However, having just bought the '74 live release on vinyl I have to say that I’m very much enjoying that too.

3 Likes

Wow! I think I would possibly several teeth for an original pressing, I got to PF a bit late, mid to late seventies, so by that time I think it was a later pressing, and even that was worn out so had to be replaced, oh well!

A story (as related by my DB)

Some years ago with my birthday coming up, Daughter2 called up Mum and asked (knowing that I have an LP12) whether she (Mum) thought that I would like a “special edition (of some sort that was a recent release, and Dau2 had read about it)” of DSotM on LP for my birthday. Mum’s response was that she was “sure I had the original on LP because I was dyed-in-the-wool prog fan, of a certain age”.
So that plan was shelved and Dau2 gave me instead, a very fine double LP of Hans Zimmer’s soundtrack from “Gladiator”. Nice!!

Subsequently, my DB told me about this, and so I duly went into the study to get my original DSotM LP to show her…

….and couldn’t find it!!!

3 Likes

Oops! And what ensued afterwards? Much mayhem, finger wagging, and a court case no doubt?

LOL….certainly mayhem….and “mutterings”

I went through my whole LP rack one-by-one (800 odd) looking for it

The result?

Nothing…nowt…nada….it’s gone!

2 Likes

Any theories as to the reason and the culprit?

Loaning records to friends back in the day never ended well……

3 Likes