Solstice vs Sondek

Might explain why the cartridge head is so big :laughing:

With the stiletto and karoussel, only those upgrades, you can already by a Rega P10, which will be 98% of the Lp12 Klimax level.

I recon there are a raft of LP12 owners thinking of upgrading to the new hi tec bearing and full keel…but when this Naim option comes along…it is tempting…Linn appear to be doing a roaring trade in LP12 upgrades…

I think you get to a point where you’re splitting hairs and making comparisons for comparisons sake.
At this level of component quality and build all of these sources will do a very good job, it’ll come down to a personal preference rather than an absolute measure of if something performs better or not.
I personally like the idea of having multiple vinyl sources and making the most of their relative design strengths, I’ve got a couple of mid range Rega decks, a Thorens TD160 and a Technics 1210 for example and find them all to do the job but in their own particular way.
I’m sure like many of us on here, If I had the funds, space and time to enjoy the latest Naim contribution I’d jump right on it without a thought.
I do at least have a dealer that is getting one in for a show and tell session in a few weeks, I doubt as that will be supported by Naim there will be any chance to do a “showdown” against the various decks they have there and ready to spin but I’ll certainly ask, the owner has a beautiful fully restored Garrard 301 that to my ears at least is about the best I’ve heard vinyl sounding on a 500 or Statement level system.

5 Likes

I had a brief chat with Jason Gould from Naim about the design last night at a customer/dealer event for Statement systems, some really interesting and thoughtful under the hood considerations for keeping the deck and playback true and accurate, even a lot of thought going in to how it handles high humidity environments in certain parts of the world and the choice of wood and its tolerance of environmental fluctuations and the feedback between the power supply and motor to ensure rock solid rotation speed during playback. I think it’s fair to say that a lot of thought, care and love has gone in to the final product and considering a breakdown of the system cost and thought put in to the synergy between components and sub systems actually makes it a relative bargain. I doubt those 500 units will hang around very long regardless and find happy homes and a long and enjoyable life of service.

10 Likes

No disrespect to anyone because buying a £16,000 record player that you’ve never heard takes really big balls and commitment to the cause so hats off to all of you signing up.

It’s quite shrewd of Naim test the market and then start selling Aro 2’s and Solstice Phono Stages and PSU’s separately.

2 Likes

This is what I’ve come to believe about high-end hi fi.

5 Likes

I think it also plays out to something much wider ranging than that as well. The phono stage and PSU design hint at the direction of the evolution of the Classic range which in fairness is where a lot of our collective interest sits in the main. It’s close enough to the Uniti design to still sit comfortably alongside something like an Atom HE whilst also allowing for a new streaming preamp and power amp combo to be positioned as a bundled synergistic system.
It would still give existing classic owners an connectivity upgrade path and over an extended period of time lay the path to a full refresh on the NAC and NAP range with a targeted focus on the most desirable products first then a filling out of the range up and down.
They know this will be something they’ll not want to false start on having had a bit of a rocky road when Uniti came to market hence the somewhat extended release cycles and on top of that significant global materials and components constraints and a factoring for commercials related to Brexit in the mix.
It’s both a testing of the water and a vanity project brought to fruition that is firmly embedded in the legacy of the company and sure to be well received by the loyal install base.

4 Likes

Add to those: Contacts. Right place at right time. Background. Willingness to gamble. Absence of desire to work for the public good. Absence of desire to work in science (and especially science for the public good!).

Yes, hard work is not the key.

4 Likes

I’m expecting them to sound quite different.

And many people that can afford the Solstice can probably afford to keep their LP12.

Yes - I know it’s hard to fathom - I’ve had a combination of unsuitable locations, ill timed moves, questionable advice, and it not being available when I needed it most throughout the pandemic that have just made me fall out of love with it.

As I’ve said elsewhere - the annual Linn Jamboree really gets my goat.

I used the analogy of Triggers Broom earlier - and that’s how it feels. Just a bag of bits. It doesn’t feel like a product to me, it feels like a hobby in itself. Like a model railway. That’s not me (although I do like model railways!)

I just want something that looks good and works when I want it to on a vinyl Sunday morning, has build quality that I can be confident in, and sounds great day in day out without me having to perform incantations.

The Naim looks to tick ALL those boxes for me.

2 Likes

and in the recent HiFi Choice review the fact that you can constantly carry on adding to and improving your LP12 was why it won their group test.

2 Likes

Well that’s as maybe. But I want a turntable not a train set.

The basic assumption in HiFi choice viewing it as a positive differentiation is that I’m up for taking it back to the dealers every year to give them £3k to keep it current, then being without while they do their stuff, until I can go a get it and bring it back and put it back in situ and wonder if my transporting it might have degraded it in some way.

I have Hi-Fi to play music not just to have Hi-Fi.

5 Likes

Fair enough… that’s okay :slight_smile:

I can certainly see how LP12 ownership can be a recipe for constantly spending money :wink:

3 Likes

Every year? Spare us all the hyperbole. The Karousel is the most recent upgrade, from 2020, and it’s less than $1K USD. How much is it in the UK? 500-600 UKP? The Radikal was introduced in 2009. And the Keel was introduced in 2006. So the idea that it costs 3K UKP per year is, quite simply, absurd.

Unless, of course, you’re changing cartridges every year; but then, you’ll do that on any TT you have. Or if your dealer is charging you 3K every year then, as the saying goes, “they saw you coming.”

2 Likes

Right. Just making the point it’s a gravy train for Linn. You’ve forgotten the Urika, the Urika2, the Trampolin2….then the Karousel…etc etc

It’s fine though - you enjoy your train set. No need to be rude.

1 Like

You might try reading more completely. The Karousel was the first example.

Good day.

I read what you said. I also read that you haven’t actually got one. So you’re not really that well qualified to comment on what it’s like to live with one.

Cheers!

This I don’t get either Matt. Is someone forcing you to participate in this “annual Linn jamboree” as you call it?

Do Gilad and Ivor turn up mob-handed at your house with guns, shouting: “Oi! Cray! Upgrade – Keel now! Otherwise the goldfish gets it! Capiche?”

I sort of doubt it.

6 Likes

Usually with Linn’s upgrades it’s a case of ‘that sounds good’ then, pause, ‘how much!’

…quickly followed by the dealer’s smelling salts :slight_smile: , after which one hands over the credit card :upside_down_face:

1 Like