Solstice vs Sondek

It’s the keeping it current thing. We all want to have the state of the art. I could run the same car I ran 20 years ago, but an A reg Fiesta Ghia isn’t going to do it.

I think in Linn’s pursuit of backwards compatibility they drip these things out. I do feel that it’s a gift that keeps on giving commercially.

Could they make a better turntable if they just decided to work top down and stopped working in the same platform? …probably…

Would that kill the goose that laid the golden egg? …well, yes.

It’s not the commercials that bother me as much as the messing about to be honest. I just want it to work. And the sensitive nature of it, combined with trips into dry dock, don’t make it feel like a product to me. Not in the true sense. It’s a hobbyists dream. But I’m not a hobbyist. I like music.

The Naim looks like a product. And that’s much of the appeal. The fact I expect it to sound amazing - and probably better suited to my tastes - is the icing :birthday:

(Now if they’d just include a PowerLine so I don’t have to feel like a tweaker :roll_eyes::joy:)

All of the things you describe Matt is exactly why I went P10 rather than LP12. Enjoy the new Solstice. It certainly looks wonderful and I look forward to hearing all about it when it arrives.

5 Likes

The train upgraditis game since 1972. If someone bought an Lp12 in 1972 and has made all upgrades, probably, with all the money invested since 48 years in it, he could have bought instead a Clearaudio Statement today.
From Wikipedia :

« * 1972, LP12 turntable introduced.

• 1974, Main bearing liner changed. Sub-chassis strengthened by addition of strap, spot welded in place. Motor control circuit changed from terminal strip to small [PCB]Mains switch changed from two buttons to single with mains neon. [s/n 2,000]
  • 1978, Top plate modified adding two holes for 6 x 0.5 self tappers into wood block. [23,000]
  • 1979, Lid prop removed, hinges changed to spring loading. [27,000]
  • 1981, February. Nirvana mechanical components. [32,826]
  • 1982, May. Valhalla crystal-driven electronic power supply made standard. [38,794]
  • 1984, New clear lid. [~52,600]
  • 1984, Enlarged plinth corner bracing. [53,000]
  • 1984, June. Sub-chassis strengthening bar epoxy glued instead of spot welded. [54,101]
  • 1985, August. Cap head screws on bearing housing. [60,383]
  • 1985, September. Diode modification to Valhalla board [61,090]
  • 1985, December. Strengthening blocks on corners of plinth.
  • 1986, Suspension springs improved.
  • 1987, March. New bearing housing, New Formica and MDF armboard. [69,161]
  • 1987, April. New springs. [69,591]
  • 1987, Bearing improved with better lining material and tighter tolerances. Change to black oil. Suspension springs ground to improved tolerance. Arm board composition improved. [70,000]
  • 1989, Motor thrust pad changed. Valhalla surge guard modification. PCB mains lead (UK). [79,700]
  • 1989, New [MDF armboard, laminated top and bottom. [79,160]
  • 1989, Harder suspension grommets fitted. [81,000]
  • 1990, External Lingo power supply available as add-on.
  • 1991, motor thrust pad cap added to Lingo models. [87,047]
  • 1991, Valhalla board prototype with 45RPM (never went into production, codename “Wakonda”) [87,047]
  • 1991, motor thrust pad cap added to Valhalla models. [87,206]
  • 1991, Introduction of LP12 Basik, a stripped-down version of the turntable [87,672]
  • 1991, Solid base board replaces hardboard. [87,672]
  • 1991, Trampolin base board with isolating feet available as an option [87,672].
  • 1992, Improved top plate fixing. [88,950]
  • 1993, Cirkus upgrade (larger and better machined inner platter and new bearing, new springs, armboard, belt) fitted as standard. [90,582]
  • 1997, a limited edition commemorative LP12 was created to mark the 25th anniversary of the LP12. Amongst other features, it bears a plaque etched with the signature of Linn’s founder [Ivor Tiefenbrun
  • 2000, 4th bolt added near motor on top plate, fitted as standard. Required extra cross beam on plinth.
  • 2001, New motor used (first new motor since original 1972).
  • 2002, Maple plinth introduced adding to existing black, walnut, rosewood and afromosia options.
  • 2013, Full-spec limited-edition (40 in all) 40th anniversary LP12, plinth made from oak casks from [Highland priced at £25,000.[[21]](
  • 2018, Lingo 4 power supply introduced with dual-speed AC motor.
  • 2020, March. Karousel single-point bearing introduced and Cirkus bearing discontinued. Custom painted plinth option now available with all new LP12 turntables.«
5 Likes

I wander through the forum every now and again to see when you get that second 500 Dave :slight_smile:

As for my recent episode, yes, I am mainly over it now, I am getting fitter and stronger every day and almost back to normal.

Its been hard work but worth it, thanks for asking :slight_smile:

12 Likes

:clap:t3:

1 Like

@Polarbear,

Good to hear, Señor Bear … keep it up with the cod liver oil and freshly clubbed baby seal.

Boring, I know, but I really do seem to have reached that audio nirvana where it all sounds great, all of the time, so I don’t see me stretching out to go active … especially with my status as an impoverished pensioner! :joy:

As an aside, I recently added a set of those Gaia isolating feet under the Neats, and still can’t work out how they do their thing. Vertical soundstage was always great with the MF9s, but how on earth do I now have horizontal front to back soundstage as well?

Beats me, and you might want to trial a pair, especially as they were / are available on a sale or return basis.

A definite winner.

1 Like

Though only a subset of this list are actual upgrades that one would make

1 Like

I didn’t know you had retired Dave congratulations on having the time to do all those things you wanted to. I am a long way off retirement, I still have lots I want to achieve.

I reached that point many years ago, my hi-fi just provides sheer enjoyment, especially through my period of recovery and the recent lockdown. It’s so beautifully balanced I don’t feel the need to change anything, but do I have one last change in me? We will see :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’m afraid I am one of those few, or at least I think a few, who have never got the LP12 from the get go. There has always been a veil of softness and lack of precision to my ears. Compared to a Roksan Xerxes in the late eighties, I made the decision to go with the Xerxes and have never regretted it.

2 Likes

There is room for everyone on the market.

Would you prefer to buy new Naim amps every ten years rather than do a service/recap? No? Why not allow Linn to offer the same to those who want the same model with the LP12? No-one is stopping anyone from treating the LP12 as a monolithic product. Instead of an upgrade just buy a new complete LP12. Problem solved.

I have had my LP12 for 43 years. Like most I do several upgrades batched together now and then, todays status is: Karousel, Solid Baseboard, Radikal, Keel, Ekos2, Krystal all in a shiny new orange colour Linn plinth. Sitting on a Mana Reference.

Over those 43 years the cost per month has been lower than my Qobuz subscription.

12 Likes

Likewise, although truth be told prior to the pandemic I was pretty interested in an LP12 and would have had our resident travelling expert hand-deliver one to me here in the States. The pandemic put a squash to that and I got impatient for a tt upgrade so stayed in the Rega family. Absent competent local service and not being too interested in tweaking it m’self, a “low energy state when it comes to setup” tt has once again become my preference.

3 Likes

Any pictures of your new orange plinth?

Give David my regards :wink:

MattCray,

I am an LP12 owner, but not necessarily a loyalist so to speak, people like what they like. I like the sound, and the Aro matc, and I did have a learning curve on operation etc. I was driving to and from dealer on weekends 4 hours round trip to address issues and dial it in. It wasn’t until I decided that I was technical enough being first a machinist then spending time as a mechanical designer that I could do my own work on my LP12, which is not for everyone. Peter’s guide on the Cymbiosis website was followed from tear down to rebuild, and my table has been on the same position for 2 years with no sag and no change in tacking force, sound and it is blissful. It just plays.

All that being said. I was offered the opportunity by a dealer to purchase the solstice package and gave me 24 hours to decide. It was tempting, and if I knew 100% for a fact I could sell my current LP12 and all the gear with it to help fund the solstice, I would have, just for the same reasons you find it intriguing. One package, all the goods, Naim sound. In the end it was a financial choice for which I may kick myself in arse later for, but that’s my own issue. :joy:

If you do want the solstice package(not sure if you said you ordered one), I do hope you were able to be one of the lucky 500, It looks a nice bit of kit, and will sound wonderful I am sure.

Scott

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, my TT weighs 35kg (ish) and nicely secure on a wall shelf

I’m very interested to hear what the new Naim TT sounds like

I’m very intrigued to see if the new phonostage is better than Superline too

1 Like

That’s wonderful. Peter is a legend - and built my original LP12, but a couple of house moves, a few upgrades, and not investing in a Fraim as soon as I should, has turned me against it. It’s now gone, and I’m feeling good about it - I resented having £20k of equipment sitting on the shelf that try as I might I couldn’t enjoy. I think I just switched off to it.

I’m a very different beast - I’m not in any way mechanically minded - a frustration builds up rapidly if things don’t work. It’s not just the LP12, count yourself lucky you don’t have to live with me!

Yes - I’ve ordered one - super excited and super happy with my choice. I know I’m going to love it. Now I’m obsessing over getting a low serial number!

4 Likes

Well someones hearing is going at that magazine. It’s ‘Boo plinth not Blue plinth!

2 Likes

I have mechanical aptitude that’s in the negative numbers . . . but fortunately my wife is very good at such. She’ll help me with stuff and has taken quite an interest in the vinyl and turntable (considering that it was her being reunited with her original Beatles albums that led us to getting a tt in the first place). But all things being equal we’re better off with a 'plug ‘n play’ style table. And I have zero interest in auditioning a bunch of cartridge, shimming the arm, etc etc.

1 Like

Forget everything Rega told you about VTA and azimuth.

Well with my Rega I need not consider either; I just set the VTF and anti-skate. (Because I use a Rega cartridge only.)

1 Like