Sorry dear, it was Coronavirus that made me do it

Ok… the Hi-Cap has been on and running overnight and I’ve just played, “You’ve Got The Love” by Florence + the Machine, The xx.

Wow. That track is probably one of the best to demonstrate the improved control, tightening up at the bottom end. That and the Hi-Line have made a big difference and as you say… I’m looking forward to more surprises as I find new elements to my favourite tracks. Very smile inducing!

Edit. I have noticed one problem though. I keep stopping work to just listen to the music. It’s taking twice the amount of time to get anything done!

2 Likes

It’s often quite subtle but being patient and allowing the system overall to gel together and settle does make quite a difference, depending on the age of your Hi-Line I’d expect that to change over time also as it runs in and settles.
I typically apply a 6 month rule when adding or removing a new component to a system, I don’t think you can get a true assessment of what that change is doing overall in a matter of hours or days, you will find now that your system will begin to open up and get more bounce and space to it in the coming days.
You may want to think about racking requirements and even mains supply. I’ve no idea how you have it setup but Naim Fraim is a no brainer either the Lite or “full fat” versions. Also worth keeping an eye out for a Powerline mains IC as well, few tweaks to factor in perhaps!
I’m undecided on my nDAC experiment, it may just be folly on my part, I should really concentrate on sourcing an XPS DR for the NDX2 as a priority.
I’m also looking at isolation feet for my PMC speakers. Too many options out there with many costing as much as a nice pair of standmount speakers! Isoacoustics seem to be ok price wise and likely to give enough improvement to feel the cost is justified, but only just.

1 Like

Hi

Which speakers have you got?

Regards

Frames, stands etc are quite tricky in my office. Space at a premium.

My speakers have custom built stands made of 40mm beech, isolating cones etc. That made a big difference.

The ND5 and SN2 are side by side on a heavy storage unit. I have a temp isolating plinth (40mm) for the ND5. I’ve spotted a place that will build made to measure plinths with isolating cones etc. I want a 40mm for the ND5 and a 20MM for the SN2. This will bring them level in height. Once the lockdown has been lifted, I will be going to a local glass producer who will provide 10-12mm toughened glass with polished edges to match the size of the plinths. I’ll be using a ball bearing system to isolate them from the wood.

The Hi-Cap is underneath and will also get it’s own plinth and glass shelf. So, while I have no chance of creating space for a Fraim, I will be making the best I can for it in the space available.

I’ve read that the XPS DR makes a big difference to the NDX2… and you’ll be making full use of the built in DAC. You could always experiment with the nDac if one comes up cheap. I’d imagine they’ll be easy to move on / trade in!

I’ve just sent my Audiolab M-Dac+ in for repair. It developed a clocking fault. Once that is repaired I’ll be putting that up for sale. I might try it before I sell it but I’m not convinced it will match the current system. The Node 2 and Tellurium Q Black Interconnects will be going at some point as well.

I’m using B&W CM6S2’s piano black.

They work well in the smaller room. Provided you give them 30cm back and side that is. If they’re any closer to the wall than that they can get boomy. I’ve used wooden blinds down to the floor behind then that helped soundstage and bass.

1 Like

I was trialling a Qutest vs my NDX 2. Had the Qutest online for about 3 weeks… then unplugged it and ran the NDX 2 bare and remembered how good the NDX 2 sounded.

Qutest is going back… although it’s a great DAC. More a question of different as opposed to better. Enjoy your trial.

1 Like

Hi @Bart, I haven’t noticed any drop in market prices yet. It’d be nice, minor cru-classés from OK vintages are running at around £50, and once-bargain New World wines such as NZ are now fetching prices not far off their Old World equivalents, I saw 2014 Felton Road Block 3 at >£110 this week.

1 Like

The US shipping might make it prohibitive, but it would be interesting to see.

I’ll see if I can post the excel spreadsheet online…you can at least have fun browsing the list!

1 Like

I have Naim NAC 152 , Naim NAP 155 Power AMP , Naim Flatcap XS , Dynaudio Evoke 20 stand mounted speakers , 2 REL T-ZERO subwoofers , Shenyata Research cables . I have a small listening room and this setup is perfect my listening . I have ffound my holy grail .

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum GSQUARE2!

When you get a moment post a photo of your gear in the System Pics 2020 thread.

2 Likes

Once you get a source I’m sure it will sound great :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Right now my source is a REGA DAC . I run through an Apple I-MAC . I also use a Topping D10 SPDIF-USB converter because I like the sound of the coaxial input more then the USB input . I also have to say that I live in U.S. ( Chicago IL. ) and Naim does not have a big following here but people here in states who own Naim gear will not own anything else .

1 Like

My system is also in a small room (my office) and I’ve reached a point that I would say I’m very happy with the sound quality. Need to sort out a couple of isolation plinths. Most likely to be custom builds in order to fit in with the rest of my work space.

That said… if an NDX2 landed on my doorstep I wouldn’t turn it away!

I added a HiCap DR to my SN2, then I added a Shunyata Delta EF power cord to the HCDR, then I got an Audience AU24 SE-i power cord for my Auralic Aries G1. Hope this effing virus ends soon, it’s costing me a bundle :loud_sound:

1 Like

Ok so the virus got me thinking about what to do with my Ndac fed by xp5xs power supply. Swap it for a new NDX2 and keep the power supply. Or trade the XP5 for a new 555PSDR. My dealer convinced me the 555 was the best bang for the buck. Here I am listening to a 96/24 of Talk Talk- Colour of Spring. I have been listening to this Album since it was released some 35 years ago ( I was 15 but ouch am getting old) and with the 555 only a week old I am hearing things I have never heard before. It’s absolutely stunning and apparently more to come when it burns in. Happy lockdown!

6 Likes

Naim is the best therapy especially if one has mobility
Issues which I have. I was in hospital for 5months
Some crazy motorists hit me on a crossing.
Naim is my rehabilitation

3 Likes

Be very careful, I put a 555PSDR on my 1st generation NDX, which meant the step to the ND555 didn’t seem so big…

1 Like

@DONUT, an ND555 seems a logical path to take now!

@Eoink
@Mr. M

Please don’t give my ideas! It reminds me of a sign off, that I may have even seen on this forum - It was something like:

I dreamt that I died and my wife sold all my toys for what I told her I paid for them!

The ND555 would definitely fall into that category.

2 Likes