Soul Music Thread

This thead is purely a Soul music thread so as not to clog up ChiefChirpa’s excellent Hip Hop & Modern R&B Thread with pure Soul. This is for Soul music or Soul revival of any era 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, '00’s & '10’s. So I’ll kick it off with something from 1976 that I discovered in my early teens in about 1983.

3 Likes

And another record I discovered around the same time a duet by two of the biggest stars of soul music coming ‘back together again’ after more than ten years.

2 Likes

And another.

1 Like
1 Like

Apart from James Brown this was one of my first Soul records…

:grin:

2 Likes

This and this for starters.

5 Likes

Great album. Was spinning this just the other night (it gets a fairly regular outing in the summer months) and it always takes me back to a trip to Canada and the USA during the summer of '74, with lots of long drives and Rock Your Baby seemingly on repeat play on every radio station.

2 Likes

Can’t believe it was 1974 when that came out, a friend’s older brother who was a Soul fan put it on a cassette for me with one of the volumes of James Brown Soul Classics on the other side of a C90. I loved that tape and eventually got the LP"s of both

jpeg

4 Likes

And this terrific double LP gatefold set…

jpeg

2 Likes

Later as a Reggae fan I discovered a lot of Soul records through cover versions by Jamaican artists particularly through the Rock Steady era. Most obviously People Get Ready by Curtis Mayfield which was the basis for Bob Marley One Love/People Get Ready.
In the Dancehall era Wilson Picket was the template for Ini Kamoze’s international smash Here Comes The Hotstepper…

2 Likes

As a young kid, my mum worked at a local pub and used to bring home used records from the Juke box. I had boxes of them and I remember fondly belting this out of the family Ferguson…

With this on the B side…

4 Likes

Talking of Jamaica, Jackie Opel nicknamed Jamaica’s Jackie Wilson

1 Like

Mr Soul Man himself

1 Like

What a voice!!!

1 Like

Sweet Soul Music

1 Like

Gospel according to Mr Bobby Womack

You could open a whole thread on this track alone. Here’s the original by the songs author.

2 Likes

Otis’s version is pure soul music.

2 Likes