Soul Music Thread

Hope I’m not taking liberty’s but again crossing over with the Reggae thread groups like The Highway QC’s were early influences on Jamaican artists and The Wailers particularly, check those suits…

TheWailers-TheWailingWailers

:grin:

1 Like

For some great modern Soul I love the Daptone label and particularly Sharon Jones and Charles Bradley both sadly missed…

2 Likes

Never really got either of them. Always struck me as well-honed pastiche with little understanding of the tension/release dynamic of actual soul.

From a wet and windswept Sussex coast today…

1 Like

I like em and the back story of Charles Bradley working as James Brown imitator before being “discovered”

1 Like

I regularly enjoy this album…

2 Likes

I have to admit that one of my earlier introductions to Soul was when I recieved this K-Tel compilation as a xmas present, some of which is perhaps more disco but introduced me to The Delfonics, Ojays, Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes

jpeg

jpeg

2 Likes
2 Likes

Another Soul tune that I arrived at via my love of Reggae, having first heard it via George Faith & Lee Scratch Perry…

jpeg

3 Likes

I came to this album after seeing The Blues Brothers, it’s the tape they play in the car…

jpeg

3 Likes

I have this on an original and pristine (ish) Stax vinyl (and also on cd obviously).

There are many attempts to sell us comebacks. Pretty much all of the, are duffers bar this one. Had the privilege of seeing him live too. He’s not quite Solomon Burke live but he was pretty great.

8 Likes

E71117BA-2F78-4920-AEAA-C6BCAD40BEC6-2145-000002321BD87D81

6 Likes

I think either Pure Pleasure or Speakers Corner did a decent vinyl Re issue of The Soul Of A Bell

:grinning:

2 Likes

Same again for me. Pure pastiche. Her background was jazz and her lurch to soul based pop has left one album most of which I can barely understand a word of. It’s the sound if an over-emoting seal.

1 Like

Perhaps more vital, what do you like that’s contemporary and is Soul ?
To think that today’s music is Soul less is perhaps strange.

38EDA482-864F-4A95-B3A7-ACEE1218E6B7-2145-0000025B55F6592A

2 Likes

Ha ha! Hey man you sound like my curmudgeonly old Dad when I was a teenager!

Seriously though its all good isn’t it, anyone can like what they like, no need for snobbery is there?

:rofl:

1 Like

Mobile Fidelity 180 gr, 2X 45 rpm

5 Likes

4 Likes