Soundtrack better than the film

Was having a bit of a debate at work, which original soundtrack is better than the film it’s from?
My pick would be “Interstellar”….it’s a good film, but Zimmer’s score is on a whole different level.

3 Likes

I very much enjoyed the film. Bladerunner is my number one film, director’s cut.

4 Likes

Yes, organ music. What not to love!

Quadrophenia.

8 Likes

‘Lift To The Scaffold’

3 Likes

Any film that starred either Elvis Presley or David Bowie

8 Likes

Forest gump
The crow

The Falcon and the Snowman…

2 Likes

For me it has to be Ennio Morricone’s wonderful score for The Mission. The film was no better than average, but I, like many, think the music should have won an Oscar. And there can be few pieces of film music that have been played so often and so widely as Gabriel’s Oboe. Still the CD stands up remarkably well as a piece of music in its own right.

Roger

5 Likes

I’d like to say The Last Mohican, but the film was really good. The sound track is a regular on my CD player.

3 Likes

The Battle of Britain.

1 Like

The cult film “If” was good but the Gospel sung track used as main backing tune Sanctus from the Latin mass album Misa Luba is incredible

2 Likes

Bird Man. Great film, but the soundtrack, really turned me on to Antonio Sanchez drumming.

Also for me one of Michael Keatons finest performances

3 Likes

I’m not sure Splendour was bad (I never saw it!) but it was difficult to find at the time and had mixed reviews in any case. Great soundtrack though: Slowdive; Cocteau Twins; Lush and, um, Chapterhouse. I was curious to see what a film soundtracked with shoe gaze would be like.
th-426944480

1 Like

Far & Away (1992):

Apart from the Oklahoma Land Race segment, the film is atrocious. Tom Cruise’s Oirish accent is beyond words, the plot is simplistic to the point of being moronic, Ron Howard’s directing is heavy-handed… but…

John Williams’ score is nothing short of extraordinary. Cracking tunes, huge orchestrations, two original pieces written and orchestrated for The Chieftains, it’s got it all. Oh, and the recording quality is fabulous, too.

Mark

3 Likes

Have the same feelings regarding Tommy too.

1 Like

I think it depends on which came first, the music or film. Music that existed in its own right and not made to be a visual performance, subsequently made into a film (such as Quadraphenia mentioned above, Tommy and “The Wall* also immediately come to mind) tend to be best as the music, while soundtracks written to support the visual to me tend to not stand up as well on their own (as reflected in a near-complete absence in my collection, only having two such albums)

2 Likes

Agreed, my comment is specifically about music written for the film. I think it’s quite rare for music written for a film to stand on its own merits and also stand above the film, for me Zimmer does this with Interstellar

Filmed just around the corner from me .

1 Like

I am a fan of soundtrack. A way to get you elsewhere, an sometime far from the film.
Try HALF BROTHERS score.