Speaker Build - CNO Grande

The PDF is mostly for several models, so make sure you’re only looking at the rows relevant to you. Then for each model you can choose the level of cross over components included 1 (highest), 2 and sometimes 3.

Then with some kits Jantzen can supply (some of the) drivers as well

1 Like

Ah, got it, I see, so there are differing specs to the crossovers.Many thanks :+1:

Hi @YetiZone, I can certainly empathise with your apprehension, I went through exactly the same thing. You can’t demo these designs or read independent reviews so it is quite a leap of faith.

I agree with what @Mark84 said in his reply, as long as you choose a design that meets your requirements you should be fine … since these speakers have certainly exceeded my expectations too :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers,
Mark

1 Like

Thanks Mark, yes certainly happy with them, very happy indeed :slightly_smiling_face:
Yes it’ll be very interesting to hear the CNOs after these, looking forward to it more than ever now!

Cheers,
Mark

Yes and one option you could consider is going for a level 2 kit, giving you the option of upgrading to the level 1 components later which are often higher quality capacitors for the tweeter. You may well find the level 2 is all you need as the difference can be quite small/subtle for some designs.

Cheers,
Mark

1 Like

That’s great advice about the level 2 kit, thanks Mark :slight_smile:

This idea of a self build is interesting. From my perspective, my work room (and main listening room) will be reduced to a shell as part of a house renovation later this year. As the room will then be a ‘clean sheet’ (same dimensions), I’m now wondering whether to refit the room around wall mounted speakers. Doing so would elevate the speakers to ear level (standing drawing board) and liberate floor space. The obvious risk being “all eggs in one basket” room arrangement, and if I don’t like the sound. Lots to think about!

Yes wall mounted speakers will certainly lock you into a particular room arrangement! Sounds like waiting to decide on the room and see if Mark builds those speakers is a good idea :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers,
Mark

I’ve made the prototypes of the stands I’ve had in mind, wanted to try something a little different.

What do you think?!

They’re made from stained MDF for now, didn’t want to use expensive Valchromat in case they didn’t work out.
A couple of build pics, they’re not closed at the back.

Originally I thought I might try red or grey for the band in the middle so ordered samples. Red as our sofas are red, but it looks like we may be changing them soon!

I reckon I’ll be remaking them in the Valchromat, I like the way they’ve turned out and will probably try the greys to see if I like them better than the white.

Next job is to make the bottom with outriggers for a bit more stability … and I like the look.
This is what I have in mind, and I should be able to reuse on the CNOs … if I get it right!

Mark

12 Likes

Statement speakers :smiley:

Look pretty neat!

4 Likes

Haha, you may have noticed in one of the build pics that the centre band was thicker, this is what they looked like yesterday!

:grinning:

Decided to thin it down today and get the proper feet on.

Mark

4 Likes

Hi Mark,

I’ve been following your build(s) and really enjoyed your updates! I like the new stands better than the open-frame design. My only suggestion (and it’s just a thought): what about a slightly different color for the stands, perhaps a charcoal gray? I like the idea of a red band – it echoes the Stenheim line of speakers, which I think look pretty damn handsome!

–Joe

Hi Joe, glad to hear you’ve been enjoying the builds :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s a really interesting thought, charcoal grey with the red band could look really nice. The dark grey Valchromat could work, it’ll be much darker when the oil is applied … hmm, got me thinking now, thanks!

Mark

1 Like

Mark, they look fabulous - ‘Statement’ speakers!

Forgot, will they be mass loaded?

2 Likes

Kudos 808 resemblance :wink:

2 Likes

Mark, out of interest, with stands like those, why didn’t you just build the floor stander version?

I’d be worried that they would resonate as it’s basically another cabinet. Unless you fill it with sand.

They look good though.

1 Like

Hi, thanks! There must have been some subliminal / dream influence going on … closest I’ll ever get :grinning:

Mark

1 Like

Hi David, I wish!! :slightly_smiling_face: I love the design of the Titan range, think they look fantastic, a very interesting shape. I think it’s the proportions maybe, I like that these are shorter and wider than my previous speakers.

Mark

Hi Mark, I’ve wanted to try some stand mount speakers and thought it would give me the chance to have a bit of fun with the stands. The pillar style stands were ok but had this in mind that I thought could look nice. I have a couple of other ideas as well that I may try.

They’re not cabinets as such, they’re open at the back, a U shape, as I had the same concerns. I should read up on stands a bit as I know little about them. They don’t sound any different to the pillar ones at least.

Mark

Had some friends round tonight that we’ve not seen for a while and played some music of course … he is now looking at Naim and his wife is not at all happy with me! :grimacing:

4 Likes

Fair enough. I only mention as my last equipment rack was a kind of cabinet. When you placed your hand on the top you could feel the vibrations. I then made a more simple rack with shelves and upright supports. No more vibrations when you put your hand on it. Couldn’t hear any difference whilst music was playing though. Just peace of mind I guess.

If you did enclose those stands and fill them full of sand, it would make a damn sturdy support!!