Speaker Cable Single or Bi-wire

They speak highly of these speaker wires, never heard them.

@KJM:

Hi,

if you like ProAc speakers it is not unlikely that you might upgrade in the future, and it seems that double binding posts are common on those. Considering that your Uniti 2 has a pre-out I wouldn’t completely discard the idea of a used NAP200 to bi-amp.
Best,
M.

There seem to be manufacturers insistent, not to provide their range with singlewire plugs.
In two instances I tried to order speakers delivered with single wire option, Fyne & Proac, no way could they fulfill my order and I looked elsewhere.
Silly marketing demand, majority users out there believe biwire is a blessing which it isn’t imo.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, which speakers were you seeking to buy? What budget level were they?

I don’t even know, I have never found a single person in real life who bi-wired

Well you have now. I wish it didn’t make any difference then I could lose the extra cable. But in my system bi wiring is demonstrable preferable/better.

In real life I mean not online. Anyway, i am not sure why we all have to suffer bi-wire posts because of what seems to be a very small minority of people who use them

1 Like

It might be worth speaking to a real speaker manufacturer to find out why they do it. I asked ProAc if they could make me some Tab 10s without the biwire terminals. They said it wasn’t possible due to the design of the crossover. I then asked why they bothered with the extra terminals because ‘nobody uses biwire’. They explained that it was an important feature in many of their key markets, particularly Japan. Clearly the thoughts of a few old blokes on the Naim Forum do not represent the real world beyond our hallowed halls.

I really liked the speakers so bough them anyway. I fitted a couple of jumper cables, which took all of two minutes. I think it’s rather foolish to dismiss speakers simply because they have biwire terminals. It’s not exactly difficult to fit jumper cables, and it’s even possible - heaven forbid - to use the supplied links if you can’t be bothered to get jumpers.

1 Like

Yeah, I read the Japan story from you before. I have not met a Japanese hifi person in real life, so yeah maybe. Of course it’s easy to fit jumpers, but looking at the amount of questions it is causing, maybe not for everyone.

There are a lot of people with learned helplessness. A few minutes research can have it sorted.

2 Likes

A lot of hi end amplifiers have two sets of speaker outputs. I believe most use them to biwire speakers, rather than run two sets of speakers.
I did that once. With the A-B switching selecting just the tweeters for late night listening. :clown_face:

11751211 11750410

These are from my archive more than 10 years ago so pardon the quality. I used to have Nordost SPM Reference in biwire configuration.

Now I solely use single wire with jumpers on my speakers which have 2 pairs of binding post. Also, I have made it a point to only consider speakers with a single pair of binding post if buying new several years ago. No more speakers with bi-wired terminals.

That’s a bit like saying you’d only consider wine from Burgundy and never from the Rhône Valley - a principle that could needlessly prevent you from finding something you’d like. Should I have not considered my speakers because they have biwire terminals and settled for something I liked less, solely on a principle? That would surely be daft. Each to their own of course. I do think biwire terminals are pretty pointless and a waste of time but to rule out a speaker merely because it has them would be a step too far.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t rule out speakers for this, either. If speaker manufacturers offered a terminal where one pair of binding post is inverted so that it is on the inside of the speaker, while leaving everything else unchanged, including the default links, most people would stop worrying :slight_smile:

Or like the KEF terminals with the option to turn a knob for bridging them or not.

To each his own I guess.

Thank you all who responded to my post and the informative comments.
From the comments received a single wire with jumper leads is the optimum solution.

1 Like

Some manufacturers use multiple terminals as a means of enabling conversion to active bi- (or tri-) amping simply and without risk of damage to the the enclosure. PMC’s higher range speakers at least are a case in point, the passive XO being on the rear of the connector panel - remove the panel, take out the crossover, refit the panel and the connectors are there ready for the feed from the amps… Yet as passive speakers with their triple connectors that have to be linked together they perform extremely well, while of course some people convinced about benefits of bi- or tri-wiring may use them that way. As noted a couple of posts back, not considering speakers with biwire or triwire terminals on principle rules out some exceedingly good speakers…

Yes, I am aware of few high range PMC models which have tri-wire terminals for bi-amping or tri-amping. If I’m not mistaken the IB1 and EB1 have 3 pairs of binding post at the back.

It is true it may be silly to not consider speakers which come with biwire (or tri-wire) terminals as I am aware there are many great speakers with biwire terminals. Well, perhaps I’m just being daft but I have reached a stage of equilibrium where upgrades are behind me now. My days of buying luxuries are over. I still have excess speakers and amps which I hoard, no good I know. That’s not exactly the point though. Although there are many good speakers with biwire binding posts, there is also a good selection of speakers with single terminals.

All is good.

As do the Fact 12, MB2, BB5 and Fenestra. Not sure about lower models. I believe the same applies at least the upper range of ATC’s speakers

NEAT Acoustics, as do many others, offer the choice of both - with single wired being their first standard of course :slightly_smiling_face: