Speaker Cables - Giant Killers Up To £3,000

…and then back to NACA5.

7 Likes

fr,
The nonsense I was on about was the comment about NACA5 being the one and only cable for Naim systems. Didn’t the same poster bash on about this endlessly in a recent thread ? It’s rather stupid and tiring.

3 Likes

:see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

@graham55 as Naim have now introduced their own TT perhaps we shouldn’t discuss other makes?

1 Like

I misunderstood. I 100% agree with you.

1 Like

Naim’s turntable has come and gone (sadly!), unless dealers are still selling off their display units.

So I can’t see why there would be any objection to discussing other makes, as we always used to do. No doubt someone will correct me if I’ve got any of that wrong.

Hello, Peter, I thought that my system was in the Profile, but this Mac is hanging on by its notional fingernails, so I can’t check. Briefly, the system is (all Olive, to save constant repeats):

Linn LP12/ARO/Te Kaitora Rua/Trampolinn 2 or 4 (can’t recall which - never seen it)
NAT-01/NAPST
CDS II/XPS (with Naim/dealer at present for service/new mech, I hope)
NAC 52 (with all cards fitted internally)
Supercap (for 52)
NAP 135 x 2
Stacked QUAD ESL57s (four electrostatic panels, two per stack, Left and Right)

Rear sound:
Naim AV-1 processor
NAP250
QUAD ESL57s (two electrostatic panels)

Stax SRM Omega 007 II Earspeakers/717 Transformer

(I’m sorry that the info may be slightly vague. I’ve been away from home for almost a year now, so I can’t check the stuff, and my memory has been affected by illness. But do ask away if anything isn’t clear, and I may be able to clarify.)

Thank you Sir :+1:t3: ATB Peter

Wow, this thread took a wierd turn overnight. It seems some feel the forum should be a place only for those clad in black hooded robes, stitched with the Naim logo, to attend Naim themed Eyes Wide Shut parties in the woods.

I think everyone is aware this is Naim forum with a predominantly Naim theme. I doubt discussing some other cables for use with a non Naim amp is going put that at risk.

7 Likes

Anyone interested in reading opinions on speaker cables just need to use the search feature and type in ‘Speaker Cables’ and 50 + threads are avaialble to read. …and there are lot more than 50 threads for anyone who wants to read opinions. Refine the search by the name of specific cable and it can narrow the threads to read through.

The time I spent in the military there was the acronym ‘SSDD’

…or ‘same sheet, different day’

There is a lot of shared knowledge available if someone cares to do a bit of reading.

2 Likes

Hi Ryder,

FWIW you did say  ‘Any thoughts would be appreciated.’

Like many here my HiFi days go back to the early 80’s and as a musician longer.

For much of that time conventional wisdom was a rigid support for speakers, but a couple of years ago I took a punt on Townshend Podiums, and for me in my system etc.etc., it was transformational.
Presentation was effortless, music released out of the cabinets, tighter bass with more micro detail, and greatly improved soundstage.

My speaker cable is nac a5, it runs under my suspended floor in pipe lagging and then covered with acoustic insulation slabs on 22mm mdf floorboards, so that cable is not coming out anytime soon.

I see your speakers are stand mounts which I have had no experience since my Linn Sara days, but just a thought, that it maybe worth taking a look at speaker isolation before the rabbit hole of speaker cable.

Having said that, I have been so pleased with the various Witch Hat cables I have ordered their new Spectre cable.No, the floorboards are not coming up, it will have to lie on top of the carpet but it better be very good otherwise it will be going back, SWMBO said!

On a final thought, I have since also purchased four GIK panels which have benefited all the areas mentioned above.

In truth your speaker cable could be fine

Enjoy the journey, that’s the most important.

KR
Russ

2 Likes

I suppose I should try my NACA5 after using WitchHat Phantom speaker cable for the last few years. But the problem is my NACA5 7m isn’t really long enough (my Phantom are 10m, I need 9m). I can get them to reach my speakers, but not by running them behind the record shelves like I do now with the WH. Getting a 9m or 10m run of NACA5 is about 2x what the WH Phantom was.

Maybe after I get my new cartridge and it’s run in a bit I might try the NACA 5 and see what I think.

That’s true for the majority of questions asked in here though. I wouldn’t want to trawl through 50+ threads hoping to finding an answer.

I have a friend who used to work for the AWRE (atomic weapons) and he never has any difficulty in understanding how plugs and wiring can cost silly money when you are looking for ultimate performance

1 Like

Hi Russ, I have the poor man’s Townshend Podiums, the Isoacoustics Gaia which I bought last year for my Marten Duke 2. I was rather impressed with the uplift in sound quality with these devices and have been an advocate of speaker isolation since.

About 2 months ago I bought another stand mount speaker and they sounded off on standard spikes. The next day I put in an order for another set of Gaias without any hesitation. This time, the improvement was larger than expected as they totally resolved the bass issues of the speakers. I’m aware the Townshend Podiums will be a lot better but they are above my budget so I have to make do with the poor man’s equivalent. All my speakers now have Isoacoustics Gaia installed below the stands.

Would appreciate if you can update once you receive the WH Spectre, whether they are a noticeable improvement to the Phantom or NAC A5.

4 Likes

Actually one of my first clients was a UK company that made wires for aviation and F1. The cost of a metre of that stuff made SuperLumina seem like a cheap bargain.

Of course the tolerances they are manufacturing to were probably an order of magnitude stricter. No silver. No Rhodium. Basically copper, nickel, or brass. Yet excruciating prices.

1 Like

[quote=“graham55, post:46, topic:26864”]
So I can’t see why there would be any objection to discussing other makes, as we always used to do.
[/quote

There wouldn’t but it just seemed to me that you were implying that we shouldn’t consider alternative speaker cable. But no matter, as they say it’s all good.

When I joined the forum it was recommended that I use the search function and found it very helpful. By ‘trawling’ through threads I found a lot of answers to questions and advice along the way. It also was helpful in identifying members who were the most knowledgeable in different areas of the product lines.

Does this apply to SL as well?

i always thought naca5 was really good until i put signature in mate, everything just opened up to some tune. it only went in a week ago and its awesome

1 Like