Speaker Cables - Giant Killers Up To £3,000

Having demoed all of the TQ range of speaker cables …… Super Lumina …and one or two other cable’s from other companies.

It became apparent very early on that cables make a significant impact…… either positively or negatively….

I eventually decided on TQ Silver Diamonds….they are modestly priced in comparison to the cost of our Naim black boxes

2 Likes

For me the two elements apart from the obvious in a hifi system (boxes and speakers) that have made the biggest and most obvious difference, are the speaker cables and the mains block. I’ve spent somewhat more on these, but feel this to have been very worthwhile as it looks like these two can be a significant bottleneck in a good system.

2 Likes

TQ Silver Diamond is indeed the best, tho’ “modestly priced” is, I’d say not.
I use an Ultra Silver myself.

One question, TQ usually is sold with standard 2x2.5 meter length, does that work fine on your naim amp? Or you have a special order cable length?
I’m asking in relation to Naim’s recommendation for 3.5-4 meter length of speaker cable (for NACA5 and SL)

TQ is sold to order, so you choose whatever length you require

Oh ok then, I guess it’s my dealer who stock mostly the 2.5 meter pairs of TQs

I assume that is one of the more popular lengths….

I’ve used Naca5, TQ Black, WH Phantom & tried WH Spectre.

Hands down, Kudos KS-1 (Naim plugs at amp end) beats the lot in my system.

FWIW.

G

6 Likes

The first four cables I would put in the warm and rather heavy sounding camp (haven’t heard spectre but based on reviews) leaving it to that KS-1 is rather different in its presentation then? How about bass qualities on the KS-1? Ever felt it lacking sounding “thin”?

Not in the slightest.

G

2 Likes

No lack of bass with our KS-1.

3 Likes

Definitely not. KS-1 is remarkable value.

3 Likes

No lack of weight or slam with KS-1 here. :ok_hand:t2:

3 Likes

Do you use the Kudos KS1 just with Kudos speakers or independendly?

Easy surely - it’s Sol Campbell.

1 Like

Haven’t read the full thread so far so forgive me if I’m repeating something.

My take is - what are speaker cables doing when they sound better (or worse). They are presumably changing the sound in some way and some suit more and some less.

As we know the sound we hear is a mix of speaker / room interaction with the room playing a significant role.

So rather than getting a cable that may make this room/ speaker interaction work better I suggest measuring the room and either using DSP or physical room correction - or a mix of both to improve the sound.

I find it hard to believe that a 3k cable could come anywhere close to the improvements to be gained by room correction.

I’ve droned on about HAF filters a lot but they really have made a huge difference to my listening enjoyment for a (comparatively) modest outlay.

.sjb

4 Likes

I like KS-1 but with respect, find it difficult to describe it, or any other speaker cable, to be a HiFi bargain, great value or similar. They are just cables, which I suspect have high profit margins. The value is comparative for sure but there has to be a reason why so many manufacturers want a slice of the action.

I have been using Super Lumina speaker cable for years…I then tried the Spectre…as a trial…for around a month… bottom line the Super Lumina was better…clearer…and a bit more dynamic…

Haven’t read the thread you reference to but this is about transmitting information - all of it and correctly/well.
How is your suggestion in principle different to getting an Argos (other shops are available) hifi for £100 and getting it room-corrected? (apologies for the exaggeration but to make the point clearer).

I’m not sure I fully understand what you’re referring to here?

.sjb

E.g. how can you correct something that’s not arrived to the speakers?