Speaker covers

Couple of weeks back I got a set of Triangle Esprit Titus Ez. Very easy to drive and seems ideal match for my unitiqute and cyrus streamline.

My six year old is running around waving sticks for swords and he landed a nice one on one of my other speakers which made my heart stop.

So was checking out how to protect the triangles.

I don’t see any ready made options - other than covers for outdoor speakers which are meant more for weather protection than to protect against physical assault.

I was thinking I could buy heavy duty shopping/grocery bags of similar size and reinforce them within with sponge sheets. These are likely not very WAF and already my wife is making faces at the idea.

Any better ideas?

Googling for the speakers, the info says they come with fabric front covers? Are they too flimsy vs swords?

I cover my speakers with cardboard boxes when the grand twins arrive. Not pretty, but effective. Alternative is to accept that accidents will happen and you put your hifi enjoyment on hold for a couple of years. Insurance may cover accidental damage, then put money in a hifi fund for future use (and sneak in an upgrade :blush: )

Also reading that the included covers are held by magnets. Maybe you could get some metal covers custom made. (My Monitor Audio speakers come with perforated metal ones by default, also held with magnets, and they seem very secure vs swords)

I’d suggest you don’t have sticks in the house and that you help your child understand the behaviours that are appropriate inside and outside the house. Obviously, it’s different if the child has a learning disability or ADHD etc. Otherwise it should be entirely possible. They need to know how to behave and it can be done from a much earlier age than six.

10 Likes

I agree. By the time I was eight years old I was using my dad’s radiogram and reel-to-reel tape deck. This was something I enjoyed and I was trusted not to damage it.

Another thing to consider is that if one’s child behaves wildly they won’t be invited to friends’ houses, which would be sad.

1 Like

Completely agree my child is 4 and my listening room is also his playroom. He knows the equipment is precious but i let him handle it also so he learns about it. Of course speaker grills are mandatory.
When other children come i pull the speakers back to the front wall, so they are not in the way.

1 Like

Absolutely the right approach in my view. Children are never too young to enjoy music (even if their taste may not align with yours) and actively encouraging them to use the HiFi for it’s intended purpose helps them to appreciate it rather than seeing it as some weird thing they don’t understand, which will only encourage them to poke it and abuse it.
Might have to make an exception for the turntable though, I did hide my LP12 for a couple of years.

I just had a pair of custom grills made for my speakers by a DIY speaker company called Wilmslow Audio.

Worth a look maybe?

In my first hand experience they are only a real risk until the age of 3/4 depending on the child. Below that age, they are just too inquisitive and can’t comprehend the value. Beyond that age and they can be reasoned with and can attempt to respect the rules around the speakers. I learned the hard way. My son poked a hole in my scanspeak paper cone driver with soggy fingers when no one was looking. Lucky I could purchase replacements.

Here here they should be made to understand what is right and wrong. I was always brought up to respect other people and property. With my ex we brought our two daughters up with same values and to sit around the dining table at meal times. Unfortunately discipline is lacking in today’s society I certainly would not allow said behaviour to take place

I found this company after some searching. They made covers for my dynaudio’s. Which I had to modify myself to get them to fit my PMC 25.26. The material seems to be a nice canvas like material on the outside, but thin and pliable like a car cover, and they glue 1/2 inch foam with a soft material over the foam to prevent scratching or wearing the speaker edges on the veneer. Think about how you want them to fit and latch or slide over, they can do handles and Velcro, then email them, and provide a sketch. Mine now slide over my speakers from the front, with Velcro and a flap in back to hold them tight on the speaker.

https://www.tukicovers.com

Good luck
Scott

I would suggest talking with one of the many companies which make vinyl leatherette covers for guitar amps and combos, they could build in protection for speaker cones too.

Good luck

Teach them discipline to respect people’s property :thinking: sadly lacking in today’s society. I was a college tutor
for year’s and witnessed unruly students who have no regard or respect for people or property. They are brought up in a society of disposable goods and personal belongings and easily replaceable. They see life in the same context

Being a parent of a boy…When he was very young I gated off my living room with dog gates worked fine as he got older I let him in under constant surveillance. with coaching and fatherly patience by 4-5 he knew this was daddy’s stuff and it would go very badly for him if he touched anything. By the time he 7-8 he had no interest and would rather play video games.

1 Like

I had steel grills custom made for the sbls

1 Like

Oh, and recently I noticed a dent in the wall of my home office. Checking out the Ovator 600 loudspeaker next to it I could not find any damage on the loudspeaker, but by slowly turning over the loudspeaker I found out that the dent must have been caused by the loudspeaker.

Underneath the loudspeaker I found the secret storage of the chewing gum of kid 3.

That is the exact opposite of my approach. Include your kids and make music, and the means to enjoy it, accessible to them. They soon learn what they can and can’t touch based on the usefulness of the kit, which I would suggest is a far more constructive lesson for them that how to avoid yet another bollocking from their dad for daring to tinker with the sad old *******’s toys.

2 Likes

This thread from the OP was about speaker covers, not a request on how to discipline, teach or train children. I realize I am speaking for them but I don’t think the OP appreciates being ridiculed on parenting skills or having his character questioned. Just offer advice to help related to the question.

How would some of you chaps like it if I told you that you were spineless and crazy to let your wives tell you how much money you can spend on hifi and what speakers you are allowed in your home based on if they “fit” the decor? Hence the swmbo factor. It doesn’t exist in my house!!!

Scott

7 Likes