Speaker Position

Helo together

with the positioning of the loudspeakers i get no further.

on the picture the speakers have a distance of 2.4m and I have a listening distance of 3m. Difference to the wall is 0,4m. I’m sitting on the lounchair, in the mid between the speaker. Couch is against the wall. I can fold up the backleans. in this position there is no real sense of space, no deep stage. can also place the loudspeaker further to the right at 2.9m. then I get a better stage, but sit on the couch not realy good. The sound in both positions is always shifted to the right. think that is due to the window on the left.

What are your statement or tipps about this situation?

on a lot of pictures here i see also small speaker distances.

Cledi13

Your head back against a wall is not a good position. Pulling your couch forward a metre or so should be much better. It looks as if the right hand side of the picture opens into another space - that will affect the sound: ideally you want the two speakers symmetrical with respect to the sides of the room.

Some rooms can be very difficult, and you may have to play with many positions, some radically different e.g. rotating by 90 or 180 degrees, (or even positioning diagonally!) Otherwise it can help to use, near field listening, starting by positioning your head 38% of the distance from front to back wall, or, second best, back to front wall, and speakers on equilateral triangle from that point.

It the room is not a simple rectangle, it may help people make suggestions if you can include a sketch, including any adjoining spaces that are open to the room, and showing where doors or other absolutely fixed things are. Also dimensions of the room, including height.

Have you tried moving the left speaker away from the side wall so it’s closer to the tv?

Good suggestions above which will very likely improve sound quality.

1. Move left speaker closer TV so that there is about 2.0 to 2.2m distance between speakers.
  2. Move couch 1m from rear wall.

In addition to the above I would experiment with your rug position; try and a covering on the TV screen and see what happens if you put something further on the wall behind your sofa.

the left speaker facing the television was always better, but then I no longer sit in the middle. if i take the place next to the long chair, i have to move the right box further to the right and come to a distance of 2.8 m.

Couch 1m forward the woman will not go along and will not look good either.

the room on the right is a open space.

I moved the left speaker to the right. both slightly more angled. room and stage is better. Balance is shifted to the right although I’m sitting a little closer to the left speaker. with balance -3 of -10 everything is now in the middle and has a nice room.

Can you move left speaker closer to tv
Right speaker over a bit

Serious listening session sit around dot area, you could move a chair there in seconds

1 Like

Try toeing them in more… you’ll get more 3D soundstage and less room influence as you listen to direct sound

2 Likes

I was just about to suggest toe in, as well.
Also, I don’t know if the OP has window coverings to pull when he listens. That would be mandatory in my books.

Dave

1 Like

If the volume is slightly different between speakers you can also move the lower-volume one a bit closer and/or toe it in a bit more. A few cm closer can make quite a difference. Mono recordings help

1 Like

Forgive thread hi jack @AlanP but tell me more about isolation feet.:slightly_smiling_face: I bet there is an isolation feet thread :upside_down_face:

:grinning:, how’s the speaker demo going?

Not great. Finding them a bit harsh. Trying to set up home demo of Spendor A2. From a dealer in Edinburgh would you believe. I thought it would be easy :scream: thought isolation feet might help. Cable also an issue

The isolation feet have been a godsend for me and the icing on the cake regarding the sound I now have.I know how everybody bangs on about how they tighten up the bass, but it’s true, they do.It becomes much more defined and tuneful.At the other end of the spectrum the feet help smooth out the top end, and the slight digital glare I had with certain recordings is gone.One other thing is how they render vocals, playing albums I have known for years, I have noticed now how I have picked up on certain words in lyrics that now I realise I had obviously misheard. Perhaps they can help with the harshness you are experiencing, although I am not suggesting they will suddenly solve this issue.To end, I am fortunate, because the feet dealt with an issue I had, but this was at the end of my quest.

1 Like

Thanks Alan I will continue my pursuit. Your description of digital glare could have been my words. Will let you know how I get on :+1:

1 Like

Good man, Keep going Graham.This bloody hobby eh! :grin:

1 Like

I sympathise - when you have a multipurpose room and aesthetics are important, balancing the demands of hifi and liveability is hard.

People have commented that moving the sofa away from the wall would help - this is because right next to the wall you get a strong echo coming from sound reflecting from the wall and arriving just after the true direct sound, making things quite muddled. Moving it further way both moves you towards the bass null point (so less boomy anyway) because of the cancellation of the reflections with the incoming waves, allows the reflected sound to dissipate more, reducing its volume, and making it arrive at your ear later (which is slightly simpler for your brain to filter out).

Why do you need to know all this? because it directs us towards an aesthetic solution - if you can put something sound-absorbing onto the rear wall, it’ll absorb that reflected sound and make things much better. So a large fabric wall hanging would be ideal. If not, you might be able to use the current pictures (if not framed in glass) - if they are on canvas you can pack the canvas frame behind with fibreglass insulation (the stuff for loft spaces) to act as DIY acoustic panels for absorption. Or something similar - this is likely to help without causing disharmony on the partner front…

2 Likes

Mineral wool ‘batts’ of moderate to high density better than standard lift fibreglass insulation… Better still look into requirements for making an effective wideband absorbent acoustic panel (or several). Or they can be bought, with fabric coverings that could match or contrast with the wall, or bearing artwork of your choice.

Integrated sound-absorbing :wink: