Speakers

Just an observation. One advantage you will have with PMC among other brands is the PMC has the base ports in the front, and other brands have the same option, or a down ward firing chamber out of the bottom of the speaker above the base of the speaker. Based on your room size and listening position, these options may be a better fit for your set up.

Scott

1 Like

They are as neutral as I’ve heard from loudspeakers in a box.
I do use Linn Space Optimisation Version 2 (SO2) for room correction, but even without they sound very natural. If you like an “in your face presentation” then look elsewhere, but if you prefer a holistic soundscape then they are very very good. Mine are 30 centimetres from the back wall as recommended by Spendor, but closer to a side wall than ideal: however SO2 compensates for this. There is no option to drive them actively, bi-amp or bi-wire if that was a requirement.

I have the same system with the addition of an LP12. SBLs or SL2s would be a good place to start. So much depends on your room and your taste though.

Hm… I wouldn’t know if my D9’s can be called anything on that scale. Neither warm nor cold. They just sound right to me, in my room with my electronics and room treatments. They are placed with the help of Cardas golden ratio which puts their frontbaffle center 1.83m from the rear wall and 90 something cm from sidewalls. I’ve measured the room and installed soundabsorbers/diffusers and basstraps. Still have an issue with 50hz but now at least it sounds really satisfying without correcting the to long reverberation time of the 50hz notes.

Didn’t mean to reply to you Tiberio. Apologies.

1 Like

What are your musical preferences?

Not sure anyone mentioned kudos titans yet. 606 or 707. I think the choice between them should probably be based on a home dem but at the dealer I found the 707 to be very much more to my taste - that was active with a pair of 300dr (which matches what I have at home into my SL2s). The advantage of the SL2s is they can go pretty hard against a wall, whereas the titans may need to come out a bit.

I didn’t find the 606 At the dealer to beat my SL2s at home whereas I thought the 707s did. It will be some years before I have a home dem as am skint from having gone mad in the last 2-3 years with upgrades and the SL2s are a very long way beyond adequate (to my ears in my home they beat the SBLs I used before, with more scale and better reproduction of drums being particularly noticeable).

1 Like

It’s very difficult to home demo these titan speakers no dealer in Republic of ireland.

Shame - they are my current faves but I am not in a position to consider them seriously now.

M2 are my dream speakers but quite out of range price-wise. If you listen to ‘full range’ music I’m skeptical about any of the 1’s, but the Q1’s might do “it” - I’ve never heard them. I’ve heard S1’s and could not live with them absent subwoofers, and that’s not how I wanted to go at all. My A3’s produce wonderful bass and the S3 mkII’s are compelling too. Let me know what you hear!

Audio Solutions and Vimberg are two lines that I would take a serious look at in this price range… and of course, the Titans :sunglasses:

Spendor and Harbeth should be available for home demo in the Republic from Cloney Audio who are a Naim dealer too. Both brands are excellent and definitely worth an audition to find out if they are to your taste.

2 Likes

A few weeks ago I went to Zurich and auditioned some Magico speakers : Q1, A3, S3 MkII and M2.

Amazing speakers they are.

The goal was to audition the S1 MkII. The S1 not being available I auditioned the Q1. The Q1 and S1 MkII are both 2 way speakers. The S1 MkII having better tweeter and woofer (new thech).

The Q1 are extremely good speakers giving to classical music the precision, speed and breathe it needs. What a great experience. I wasn’t expecting such a great sound!

The S3 MkII go even further, the midrange and heights are amazingly accurate giving voices that touch of reality that characterizes the very best speakers. The low end is tight, discreet while being present and astonishingly precise. The overall balance is simply world class. What a pleasure, really. Classical music, from chamber ensembles to symphonic orchestras, is rendered with precision and details while maintaining the cohesion of the real thing.

The S3 MkII also successfully past the “piano test” which is, in my opinion, a good way to test speakers.

The M2 is… well… the best thing I ever heard. Even at higher volume! Unfortunately these speakers have a price…

The S3 MkII are not that far from the M2, especially at moderate/normal volume.

I guess S3 MkII might be a good choice when replacing my current speakers.

Santa should work out, the S3 MkII weigh ~154Kg (340 Lbs) without the packaging :grin:

2 Likes

Always easier to spend someone elses money, was at the ny audio show and was very impressed with stenheim (swiss) alumine 3 on ch equipment, no idea how they would be on naim, but certainly not one of the usual suspects. Aluminum cabinets and in the “heavyweight” division, both by weight and price. I would guess that magico would be a direct competitor. They also make an alumine5 , further up-scale.

Thanks for the report. I’ve not had the chance to do an extensive Magico listen like that.

If money were no object, and my room were a little bigger, I’d own M2’s. The somewhat more sensible purchase would be the S3mk2s, with the added benefit of being able to get them in a cool color. I like the cool colors better than the carbon fibre of the M2s anyway.

The A3s at our $9800 purchase price are lovely :slight_smile: Actually at any price they are quite lovely.

Take a look at the new Spendors…say the A4 … throw away your preconceptions of Spendor … this is an awesome speaker - good clarity and punch… have a listen and feed back.

If you have the money … I know they are not floor standers … but the new Magico A1’s are supposed to be incredible…the control and boogie available from a simple classic two way sealed box approach with hi tec drivers and cabinet - should run rings around a big box…definitely requires an audition

So do I, the M2 are terrific!
Regarding the room size, if the A3 fit your room then the M2 should should fit as well. During audition I felt that the A3 have more pronounced low end. A different presentation I suppose. So we can start saving! :joy:

A pair of silver S3 MkII’s are already on their way to Zürich :wink:

2 Likes

Interesting! I’ve not heard them side-by-side. Given that the M2s are approx. 6 times more expensive…

I’m enjoying the A3 bass; it was a perceived deficiency of my former speakers and this is better.

Congrats on your purchase. Post photos when they arrive! The A3s were in easy to manage cardboard boxes. I assume the S3s are in wooden crates you’ll have to store somewhere.

1 Like

More expensive and more bass aren’t always connected facts. Better bass and coherence, which is far more complex to achieve, is what the M2 are capable of. A cello never sounds like a double-bass. I guess the M2’s draw on serious engineering work. All that work done on the M and Q series now benefits the S and A series. Which is nice.

Very nice system you have! The A3’s industrial look nicely matches the rest of your Naim setup. I guess Naim and Magico is a rather good pairing. How do you feel about it after a few months?

I’ll do so. I suppose I’ll get them just in time for Christmas :santa:

The packaging depends on the finish. If it’s M-Coat (High gloss) then it comes in a nice wooden cradle. If it’s M-Cast then it comes in more usual cardboard boxes. We chose the S3 MkII in M-Cast Silver finish which matches our living room decoration.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.