Star earth topology, Nordost Qbase good for Naim?

I have the chance to get a Nordost Qbase at a good price. It does not have any conditioning or surge protection, lights or switches. So in a sense, it would be great for Naim gear.

But it has a star earth topology. Is this good for Naim? It also lifts the impedance slightly on all outlets, except the primary earth.

I don’t know exactly what this means. I know there are very technically savy people on this forum. Would any of this business be a benefit to Naim gear?

Absolutely Yes,

1 Like

I recently got a Qbase mk2 after listening to a few others including the Chord products. I even preferred it over the mk3 in my 5oo series Naim setup.
The Qbase has a fuse in it. I did not check which value but there is protection. Depending on your country it is either necessary or useless. The Qbase has a circuit board inside and does not have an exact star earth. However, the primary connection is in the middle which might come close to a star setup. Ther are small capacities in there, but I am not sure between which lines. I have to admit it looks pretty un-Naim but it works fine for me. Try it if you can. It is not exactly cheap.
Jorg

2 Likes

Think twice before buying Nordost, this is my only opinion. If three times, better yet.
Best, M

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, @naimophile has a QBase in his system.
I’ve only used Nordost cables with my gear and I really liked the result.

1 Like

If you are into nordost cables , then the qbase will have breed synergy … alone by itself it’s also good … I had plug my hiline power cord into the qbase , amazing … nordost has good synergy w naim , hence I am running full nordost on my naim . Many had heard when I demoed them , and they are impressed …

But again, it’s preference

2 Likes

Mine is Qbase mk 3

And it’s very very quiet :wink:

@Blacknote hi there, may I ask , which nordost cables are you using ? :blush:

There’s a few ways to uplift the Qbase - sort cones and QRT

Pic from stereonet

Hi @naimophile, sure, I’m using Blue Heaven and Red Dawn cables (and Norse 2 jumpers) but I’m keen on getting better ones like yours. I’m a Nordost fan and I’ve been very impressed by their performance as well and I do think they have a great sinergy with Naim gear (I have the NDX 2).

Out of curiosity, did you compare the cables I use with yours? Unluckily I’ve never been able to test Heimdall and Frey cables. I do wonder how your Frey interconnects sound and what you think of them. I suspect my interconnects will be the first cables to be changed in the future.

2 Likes

Frey 2 is open , deep and fast (nordost DNA) but will not be as punchy as heindall 2. The sweet spot for nordost is the tyr 2 - lightning fast , very open , wide , deep , punchy , airy , very detail , I am still waiting for new Tyr 2 stocks cos I will be running full Tyr 2 on my kits and Valhalla 2 power cord for the Qbase …

1 Like

You will get the nordost synergy when you run full loom or maybe 3/4 of it . They are truly amazing to my liking , or loving :laughing:

1 Like

Frey 2 will be the jump for you from the red dawn … u will hear the difference in everything when you demo them … just like when I demo the tyr 2 from heindall 2, I was… my god … many in the demo room had heard the jump when I demo naim kits :wink:

1 Like

Your first step , try qbase

1 Like

U try qbase , maybe you don’t even need to change any of your cables …

Another thumbs up here for Nordost…we are using the Q base mk 3 with full Heimdal 2 cable loom…speaker cable - mains leads - balanced xlr leads.
Also found the two sets of legs and Sort Kones made a further improvement to the Q Base.
The only item not using Nordost cable is the Naim Core…that’s still on a powerline lite.
No doubt that moving up through the Nordost range would bring further improvements/ changes , but for me I think we have found the sweet spot!…but you never know!
Steve.

2 Likes