Starter Hi-Fi system

Atom and Proac Tab 10’s are a great fit. You may well get an improved sound from SN3 and Tab 10’s but that doesn’t make the Atom/Tab 10 combo a poor one.

5 Likes

Have you actually run this system in your own home? I ran it for 2 years and works really well together

2 Likes

Thanks, considering lack of space; thoughts on bluetooth connection for the speakers ? Happy to use cable but faffy.

1 Like

Lack of space doesn’t mean you need to switch to Bluetooth - you really will see a drop in quality. Again, you can run Atom/Proacs in a small space with standard cabling

1 Like

No, have the Mu-so QB 2nd Generation after researching smart speakers. Great but thought I’d dabble further, hence the thread. Never expected this response TBF.

That’s confirmed that for me. :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

The specs of the tab 10 suggest that the Atom would be very comfortable driving them. I know it’s not always about specs but at least they can be well driven by an atom. Obviously they will sound better with the more expensive equipment but this is a bonus as it means that potential upgrades will not require new speakers. Win win.

2 Likes

Indeed!

1 Like

I ran a nait 5si into Q acoustic 3020s and they were a very sweet match.

2 Likes

I would recommend Neat iota Alpha to pair with an atom. Slight budget creep but I got my pair for £800.00 s/h a few years back. They are tiny but brilliant and with their downward firing base drivers punch hugely above their size.

I think £3k is a really good budget as it unlocks access to a brand new and brilliant products such as the Atom. But it would also enable you to go into a Naim dealer and also discuss lots of other options on the classic and retro ranges. Personally this would be my option, deal with the streaming aspect relatively inexpensively via something like a blue note (I even use a raspberry pi for this purpose) and dive into a Chrome or olive system. I purchased my 250/ 32.5/ hicap chrome system from a dealer for around £2k (via the always excellent TomTom audio in StAlbans). Invest over the years in servicing components and you have a slice of Audio history within your budget. Just my 2p!

3 Likes

To clarify things:

I ran some Tab 10s with 32.5/LPS (non-Naim)/110 that were all recently serviced and the volume had to be cranked up a lot more than with other speakers that I had (Guru Juniors and Spendor 4/5s) which were easier to drive. Hence my thinking.

I previously had an Atom with the Gurus and it was a great combination. If you say that the Atom /Tab 10s are great together then I bow to your experience. My experience was that they were hard to drive with a NAP 110. This was highlighted further when my CB Nait 2 became my main system. The Tabs just didn’t work but the Gurus and Spendors were fine. The more refined Spendors stayed.

To the OP, I got rid of the Atom as having ‘all my eggs in one basket’ was a problem for me regardless how elegant it is. Naim’s updating of Firmware at the time was fairly poor but they seem to be on top of things now. As others have suggested a streamer/amp/speaker system could be the way to go.

2 Likes

Interesting - I found the Tab 10’s very easy to drive with the Atom. I am sure that more powerful amps will drive them better but I found the combination delightful

2 Likes

I have similar experience and am perfectly happy with Atom / Tab 10 combo. Having said that, haven’t tried using more muscular amps and I am using it in near field in a small room, so volume isn’t an issue anyway.

But I am quite sure that there are easier speakers to drive than the Tab 10.

2 Likes

There is something to be said for having separate streamer / amp / speaker set up. Ideally, I would have wanted that together with a CD player as well, but given space considerations where I live, the Atom is a very reasonable option. If I had more space, however, I too would probably opt for not having an “all my eggs in one basket” solution.

1 Like

There are options with small footprints out there (Exposure and Rega offer excellent small CDPs) and a small streamer can be hidden away. And there are plenty of small integrated amps.

My set up is in my profile.

1 Like

I was originally considering Rega Brio with Rega Apollo - and either KEF LS50 Meta or the Tab 10. But the Rega combo was too deep and the Atom fitted better on my desk. Same for the speakers - the KEF are significantly deeper than the Tab 10.

If I get back control of my living room one day, might have the chance to move the Tab 10 there and see how it fares (whether I need more muscular amp). :grin:

1 Like

Some great ideas, plenty to research / go at. Thanks all :smiley:

Hi Crispyduck,

Daft question; what do you, and others mean by ‘amps “driving” speakers’ ?

Ta

Read ‘control’.

1 Like

As I understand the term, it means the ability to generate ‘reasonable’ sound pressure levels (ie volume) whilst retaining control and grip over the music. If I am wrong then I am sure that someone will chip in.
FWIW, my brother ( who is into very high end hifi - current system is top end Avid TT, ESR amplification and MBL speakers) was absolutely bowled over by the volume and quality of music generated by the Atom/Tab 10 combo. He was always gobsmacked by the amount and quality of the bass. As others will testify, the Atom is a great piece of kit but the Tab 10’s perform as though they are much, much more expensive. If you upgrade from the Atom the Tab 10’s will respond very well to that upgrade

1 Like