Statement Considerations

are we allowed to ask what sort of price a used S1 pre-amp comes in at?

(either from the OP, owners who have bought them used, and also checking with @Richard.Dane that it’s not against forum rules?)

I would have thought they would have been chill neighbours :leaves::fire::relaxed:

1 Like

At least no music-too-loud problems, I thought. Can’t have everything

1 Like

Sadly, not. They were cool with loud music (which was nice, lol) but did nothing quietly ( between joints which were constant) from 1pm onward - running up and down like baby elephants at 2am and later, endlessly throwing bottles and dropping them, or other stuff endlessly from midday to through the night (between joints, which stunk our flat out - we had delivery drivers apologising that the smell was not them) and just being a royal PITA. I won’t mention the piles of cigarette and joint butts in the front garden.

But…nice kids (well, she was) but
lousy neighbours.

I’m innocent @steviebee was the precursor :relaxed:

1 Like

Guilty. As charged!

2 Likes

@Katzky2021 I seriously recommend you try to audition something that fits a similar description to my speakers. Mine are DIY so you most likely can’t or maybe don’t want the same, and likely want to spend much more. They are really something special at low volumes. Not sure if it’s the separate active driver or the size of the driver, but it works. Even with an Atom. Textured bass that is very satisfying and deep at low volumes. They have 8”+ 6”+ 2” high end seas drivers driven by whichever amp you have. This then rolls off at 80hz . I then have a 12” downward firing bass driver in each speaker that is driven actively by an internal amp. The signal is taken from the speaker cables and feeds the amp. The benefit is that the Naim amp has to only power 80hz and up, then the bass section can be adjusted to suit your requirements, ears, room. There are a number of commercial designs that offer this. Vandersteen are one in the US. I’m sure you will do whatever you want but just thought I’d add my experience. The trade off is that they are generally large speakers.

Mine above.

Vandersteen model 7

1 Like

If 72 db is too loud you have not choice but to change house. No system will bridge that situation.

Sorry Satori I meant that to be a reply to k :nerd_face:

I used to live out in the country too, that’s why I thought it best to make sure I can blast away without anyone complaining :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

No worries, keep enjoying the music (loud) :relaxed:

2 Likes

I heard a story from a hi Fi dealer who was asked by his customer if he could help out with his system being too loud as his neighbour had complained about excessive noise.

The neighbour had contacted the council who sent a guy with a decibel meter over to monitor the sound in the room and then downstairs in the complainants flat. In his room it was 75 dB, in the flat below hardly audible. The council dismissed the complaint. It was later revealed that the neighbour wasn’t happy with the trad jazz that was coming from above hence the complaint :laughing:

4 Likes

Let’s keep it legal please. Thanks.

1 Like

Well I suspect Katzyky2021 is in the US and there’s at least 3 places in the the US named Norfolk, so it might well have been - for them :grinning:

I had similar issue, solution was to convert integral garage into music room, problem solved

A garage is for keeping a loud motorcycle in so you can annoy the blighters properly. (I’m just about to strobe time something with straight through “Conti” silencers in front of mine.)

1 Like

You’ll be setting off every car alarm in the street!

My panther 600 used to do that just riding past them, hardly ever happens with the twin.

2 Likes

The garage problem is the height of the ceiling. Not best for sound quality.

It does - the S1 Pre has a far lower noise-floor than the 552.
Listening with volume low does not lose dynamic scale and there is more low-level detail compared to 552 is what I found.
But I home-demoed mine - and it never left. :bear:

DB.

4 Likes

Dunc - I seem to recall you once writing on this forum that your system with the Rossini in it probably sounded so good because of your 552.

Or did I dream that? :grinning:

This may have been the post I was thinking of?

"Got to say glad its [your 552] back, turned the rossini back to 6volts output and the volume back to 0.0, and it sounds utterly fantastic, its early days yet, as it needs to burn in, but its easily the best it has sounded with the rossini, its so much more dramatic and dynamic, the bass is just lovely and the extra width it has now, as you can tell a very happy chappy.

Naim did find a fault with my 552, unity gain had no output on ch2, so full service and update.
Plus the ps is now DRed.

Dont know how long my 552 had been going wrong, but it has never sounded this good, and its certainly a wake up call for getting them serviced, my 552 had never been done and was well past its service, so if you are in the same situation on service times, do yourself a favour and get it done.

Thanks Naim, you have certainly breathed new life back i to the 552."