Steely Dan on Analogue Productions

Yes, the Probe of Pretzel Logic is excellent, I agree.

1 Like

So is ordering direct from AP the best option for those in the uk?

The regular 33 1/3 rpm reissues appear to be cut from high resolution files mastered by Bernie Grundman. Normally I would have thought that they would be cut by BG himself or perhaps Chris Bellman, but instead Universal say they are cut by Alex Abrash at AA Mastering. Pressing is done by Precision, so I guess that will mean GZ here in Europe.

A while back, having GZ press the LPs would have me fearing the worst, but the last few LPs I’ve had from GZ have been excellent, so here’s hoping the recent high standard is maintained.

I know little to nothing about Alex Abrash and how well he cuts lacquers (and essentially, how quickly they are plated). Anybody here have any albums he’s cut?

The main thing though is that for the price of one UHQR, you could have all seven of the regular reissue albums. The thousand dollar question is just how good will the regular issues be…?

3 Likes

I try and avoid ordering from the US due to taxes and shipping cost plus if you need to return it’s going to be at your cost.

You can pre-order the UHQR titles from Diverse Vinyl in the Uk. Whether they will be able to deliver in same timescales as AS is doubtful, that will be down to AS supply.

Arrrh! I’ve just ordered all the Dan back cat on SACD. Can’t afford/justify the $150 per disc for the vinyl, unfortunately.

Though I have got the AP Everything Must Go and Two Against Nature 45rpm cuts, and they are sublime.

Hope the SACD deliver on SQ!

4 Likes

Check the 45rpm youtube guy interview with Chad Kasem.

Hi @Charles64. Just curious who you ordered from. I would like to pre-order them all myself.

Maybe a silly question if they are going back to basics on the mastering it would be good to get them on cd also rather than the remastered versions we have now? Not saying they are bad at all but be nice to have both! I remember when the led zeppelin quex vinyl came out which were night and day better than any digital copy but it always amazes me that they couldn’t have put them on digital which would have been a bonus! I like both formats these days as it’s all about the master!

Hi, I ordered directly from AcousticSounds.com.

After much thinking (well, a few minutes, maybe) about whether to go directly or via a UK distributor, I went with the direct route, plus tax and all!

1 Like

Do they charge you immediately or when they ship?

It’s not being taken from my account yet, so presumably it’ll be when they ship.

1 Like

Not to minimise what you’ll be asked to pay in the UK, but $150 a pop isn’t chickenfeed here either! Two or, at most, three of these for me. I say that now…

3 Likes

I’ve ordered all the SACD but can feel the temptation to buy one or two of the vinyl albums, too.

Will see.

Just seen 220 euro in Germany. Not a chance. I pass.

2 Likes

I believe that the nine sacds are all coming out over the next year. I’ve ordered Countdown to Ecstasy and Can’t Buy a Thrill which are due out by Christmas. I’ll order the others as the release dates become known. Apparently Chad Kassem, the owner of Analogue Productions, will only work with small businesses making it far more expensive to buy his vinyl and sacds outside the U.S.

1 Like

Ouch £200 in U.K. Hmm I might wait for the digital cut versions at 33rpm and try one or two.

1 Like

In one of the videos out there I think CK mentioned that there may be a regular 45rpm release from AP sometime in the future once the UHQRs are sold through.

3 Likes

He did say that @Richard.Dane although there was an emphasis on “may be”…if there’s more money to be made out of this I’m sure we’ll see them although it could be quite some time. I’ve pre-ordered the first 5 albums on UHQR :astonished: I’m treating this as a very one off and a treat to myself. Given the price these better arrive with absolutely no defects and outstanding sound or they will be going back.

1 Like

An interesting post by Steve Hoffman today. Companies such as Analogue Productions and Mofi have no rights officially outside their territories. So the way I understand this is that their sacds and vinyl officially shouldn’t be available outside the U.S. Let’s hope the record companies don’t stop the export of these products in future.

Interesting…not sure what he means when he says the stuff that shows up in the UK for example is “not from official stocks” ? My understanding is that Acoustic Sounds provides stock to the UK resellers, surely that’s official stock?