Stereophile review of restored Chrome Bumper system

I’m trying to remember the innards of my old 12. I bought a complete PMS system second hand in 1977, (Yes there was a misguided soul who very kindly bought it sound unheard and traded it in to the store I had just started working in), and whilst I remember Mr V telling me that his girlfriend had made my 12, and I should ditch it for a 32 and SNAPS, (I had a NAPS unbelievably). I can’t recall the phono boards. It was maybe a 12N, I was using a Linn/Grace707/Supex SD900 with a Supex transformer so maybe it didn’t have daughter boards. My 32 bolt down did.
Also Julian wasn’t rubbishing the build of the 12, just he advised that a 32 was better.

Interesting Steve. My 32 is CB. I always transfer the same serviced cards when comparing. There is a big sonic improvement between my 12 and 32 - rediculously big when you realise its the same circuits. It moves from 2D to 3D and from a light to meaty sound. However, in terms of musical understanding, I think JV got it right first time with the 12. But we each experience music differently at the end of the day - otherwise we’d all be listening to the exact same system I guess :slight_smile:

Anyone know when Naim stopped using lead solder? Maybe there’s a key differentiator there as well.

Same boards. I have tried swapping boards, and it does have an effect, but the main board and the pots, soldering etc., all make their mark. FWIW, the early artwork tracked boards all sound a bit different to later ones. A bit more romantic perhaps?

Maybe my 12 was a single board one? It was a long time ago. And I had swapped to a 32 and SNAPS at the same time. I don’t think I spent any time comparing combos along the way. Just dived straight in. After all I had been given the advice by JV himself. And I was young!
I retired my 12 to match with a 160 running my old BC1s. I had fiddled with BC1s so who knows how it all gelled.
But all this chat is getting me motivated to grab a 42/110 to drive my N-sats. That would have to better than my current Harmon Kardon thingy in the office.

Thanks.

More romantic is what I hear as well. Perhaps less tuneful but more cohesive as well.

No contest surely :smiley:
psst - I’ve not actually heard Harmon Kardon so over enthusiasm on my part really.
Don’t forget you need the obligatory in-period speaker cable (NACA5 / K20)

1 Like

K20! I have some. God knows how corroded it is.

And the HK is actually inoffensive but being an AV receiver has way to much bling.

Linn still sell it and it’s cheap but hopefully your corroded set will be fine. I actually prefer it to NACA5 but most folks don’t.

Just been on a well known uk dealer’s website. They have a 42.5/90 ! Now really thinking…

I believe the actual point of Mr. Dudley’s article is being given short shrift by the original post.

Isn’t it more about reminiscing about things we overlooked, didn’t understand or quickly dismissed only to discover their uniqueness and glory under a different circumstance or with time and experience?

BTW I still have my original Nait 1 and a olive shoebox (72/Hicap/140) which have been serviced (recapped). In Canada we still have this option vs. being “restored”.

Not really. If that were the premise he could have gone and just reviewed a stock 32.5/hicap/250 he bought off ebay, or reviewed a system that had simply been recapped . The premise under which I loaned out the system for several months was, let’s take a classic combo that has been restored by one of the premier Naim gurus in the world using every trick in the his book, every updated component, no stone left unturned in the quest to get this gear to perform at the absolute maximum it’s capable of, and see what kind of results you get. Does the gear live up to the nostalgia or even surpass it? Does it offer something that is not available from new gear? I would agree the way Art wrote the review involved some of the questions you mentioned, but that was secondary to the underlying premise as I understood it.

You can certainly get a basic recap for your vintage gear at the local dealer/distributor but let’s be clear that is not the same as a full restoration involving Z foils, new preh locking DIN sockets, and extensive tuning/listening tests by a premier technician. Neither way is the absolute right answer. It depends on your goals/preferences, budget, the particular models (e.g. a 92/90 probably not worth it but a 52 is), etc. The restoration path is what works for me, but that’s just me.

1 Like

As I’ve posted elsewhere I’m building a second system although I’ve no real idea why or even where it will be placed (SWMBO has suggested the kitchen!!!). In reality it will likely be the Living Room and fit in around the existing furniture in there.

Anyhows to keep this post ‘on thread’ the pre-amplifier is a CB NAC32.5 currently being serviced by Darran at Class A. I have two CB Hicaps and a CB Naxo 2-4 and one olive green NAP250 to go with the active Sara’s so still looking for another NAP 250.

The irony is that the second system NAP250 is actually ‘newer’ than the three in my main system.

Regards

Richard

1 Like

I’m jealous!

1 Like

Another fanboy here of the 32.5/HC/250. Good memories of owning one years ago.

1 Like

Murman, what other models did you try that you didn’t like?

wrt to deep cryo:

I had the accidental experience of getting my CB Nait 2 restored without having deep cryo treatment done to the transformer, followed by having the treatment done, so kind of an interesting before/after perspective.

It was better after the deep cryo. The sound was deeper/cleaner/smoother/more focused. I won’t pretend to be able to discuss its technical aspects and I was in no position to make a decision about it based on my own knowledge. Admittedly, I did it simply because West said it would be better. I trust him. He is a true expert when it comes to Naim and is committed to Julian’s philosophy about music in the home so I said okay.

Whether another technician in another country with another deep cryo supplier would get the same results, I have no idea. With my gear, in this country, with West, I have had great results every time (CB Nait 2, CB hicap and CB 250) and would recommend it without hesitation.

3 Likes

Interesting. I wonder if anyone does it in the UK. Still not sure if this is classed as a mod or just a good clean :slight_smile:

Not tried nearly as many amps as yourself. I found a serviced green LED Nait 1 first so I compared everything against that to begin with, which in terms of musicality is the toughest test for other amps. I thought the 5i was OK but didn’t engage me like the Nait. I liked the warm sound of the 72/140 but it wasn’t as coherent as the Nait and seemed quite frenetic / relentless by comparison. Knowing the 110, I suspect this characteristic was mainly down to the 140. I love the Nait 2, but prefer the 1 to both the Olive and CB v2’s I’ve had - I do like the warm sound of the 2, but the red and green LED 1’s are both more transparent and make more sense of the music to my ears, especially the red LED version. That’s about it for Naim. I’ve compared several non-Naim amps to the Nait (incl Linn, Rega, Exposure, Audio Note, NVA, Creek, 70s JVC) but nothing came very close in terms of musicality. A friend has a SN2 which does sound good but not compared it at home.

2 Likes

Interesting.

I had a Nait 1 briefly. Loved it, but sold it on partly because I could only have one amp in the house with channel imbalance at low volumes and I elected to stay with the Nait 2 for a variety of reasons. The Nait 1 would have had to be in the main system, but I listen after the kids go to bed and with the channel imbalance I had to turn it up louder than was tolerable.

Your experience with the 140 vs. the 110 matches mine. I bought a serviced 110 to tied me over while my 140 was being restored by AV Options. The 140 was definitely more energetic/relentless, but I liked that.
Definitely preferred the 140 to the 110, but I should note I never ran it with a 42. This is getting embarrassing, but I had a 42 for a brief moment. Bought it on a lark because it was in great condition and was only $200. It was far too shrill for my ears, but it had not been serviced so hard to make a definitive judgment.

I wonder if the that shrillness would have translated more directly to prat after being serviced, and maybe revved up the 110 enough to make the 42/110 a combo I would enjoy for a long time.