Stones V Beatles

Ok I appreciate you views , I haven’t seen them since the 60,s so I can’t comment on them today,just my opinion.
In my opinion there are a few acts out there who only keep going because their savings are getting low, and rely on their few hits to bring in the money.
Some are still good like Ultravox but others are past there sell by date.

Definitely prefer The Beatles - I’m not a big Rolling Stones fan though I don’t dislike them. I’d thoroughly recommend the new White Album box set as well the Wings Wild Life box set for those that share my love of The Beatles and their music.

i understand the point you are making but surely you’re comparison is skewed and “LSTHT” should be compared to “Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane” :sunglasses:

1 Like

Dave, has rock’n’roll seen a better front man than Jagger?
Alan

1 Like

Probably not, though Planty gives him a run for his money, don’t you think?

I think that’s an interesting comparison. Mick’s kept pretty much the same style through his career, he still holds the stage as that larger than life presence. Percy started as the charismatic rock god, the last few times I’ve seen him he’s a much quieter presence, talking casually about the next song, almost as if talking to a couple of friends. He still holds the audience in the palm if his hand, and when he sings he’s as charismatic as ever. Freddie might be another shout.

1 Like

Not to mention Roger Daltrey?

Oh dear, this could easily turn into a “who’s the best frontman” thread … and why not?

1 Like

Yes lots in my view: Paul McCartney and John Lennon for starters.
And Aphrodite’s Child front man Demis Roussos was definitely bigger than Jagger.

The best Rolling Stones track I’m familiar with is “I Wanna Be Your Man”.

Best front person I’ve ever seen was probably Sonja Kristina.

I was about to post that although there is no doubting Plant’s vocal qualities ,Jagger has a better stage presence ,which for me gives him the edge.But I see Eoin has sort of beaten me to it :+1::grinning:

2 Likes

Not forgetting Ian Astbury of The Cult … what a voice! :clap:

Sort it out then Dave :relaxed:

1 Like

Ian Anderson of Tull isn’t quite in the league of the others, but I think he’s a great frontman. It takes real presence to caper and high-kick while playing flute in front of a pretty heavy rock band, and get away with it.

1 Like

i don’t think he was ever the same after he ditched The Dreamers :joy::joy:

3 Likes

It was later work and I would admit they improved but I still prefer the harder edge of the Stones music.

2 Likes

Now you’re talking - Ian Anderson was and is sheer class
I agree he’s in a league way above the others

Guys,

I voted Stones but in truth I rarely listen to neither at home. Sgt Pepper gets a spin quite regularly but other than that my listening really rests elsewhere. But there are 2 Stones tracks I immortalize - Sister Morphine and Paint it Black.

However, have seen Sir Mick and the boys 3 times - always an event in itself.

Regards,

Lindsay

2 Likes

Just out of interest. Did either the stones and the Beatles ever do a cover version of one another’s material ??

I suspect you know the answer to your own question Tobyjug. Lennon/McCartney’s ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’ was an early hit for the Stones before The Beatles released it. So who covered who?

1 Like

The Stones were good in their early years but lost it later and should be in the nursing home now.

Talking of nursing homes, how long will it be before nursing homes are rocking to the likes of Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, Pink Floyd et al. They seem such dead places (pardon the pun) so where are all the old rock fans. Perhaps loud music keeps you young. I’ve often told my wife that if I ever end up one then all I would require are a Muso and my digitised collection.

'I Wanna Be Your Man" as noted but not the other way round. Lennon & McCartney do sing backing vocal though on ‘We Love You’.