Stones V Beatles

And Jagger on All You Need Is Love

At least, he was amongst the assorted set of artists in the studio when it was broadcast live on ‘Our World’

Well, Ringo had to step up and show Mick what a truly great vocalist could do with the song! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll get me coat and be on my way…

1 Like

Well Lennon and McCartney didnt consider it good enough for them… good enough for zringo and Jagger though😎

1 Like

zringo ??? Bloody iPhone keyboard :confused:

Serves you right for taking the mickey out of one the greatest singers and songwriters of all time. Hail hail Octopus’s Garden!:rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

What… Ringo ?

All jesting apart I think they (Beatles and Stones) are both brilliant… but compelled to vote for Beatles in the poll above

It was a joke, Alan. I’m sure Beatles fans have a sense of humour! Paul and John certainly had when they let him included that track on Abbey Road. :wink:

Yep … understand it was a joke… I just misinterpreted it on initial reading… my response was intended to be also

1 Like

My other observation on Beatles vs Stones is that the Stones sat-in on some of the Sgt Pepper sessions and their subsequent album was “Their Satanic Majesties Request”; largely considered a less than stellar derivative of the Beatles recent work. I happen to enjoy TSMR, then again I’m a big fan of “Piper At The Gates Of Dawn”. Not to extend the argument, but I’d have Floyd ahead of the Stones, possibly The Who and LZ as well.

The Stones have been a band for almost 60 years and to me still haven’t approached the quality of musical lexicon The Beatles amassed in 8 short years of recording.

They were all good mates from early on…
I guess we could debate, for ages, the merits of different bands. I love the Stones, and all the bands you mention too (though probably The Who, least) And a while load more, too. But for me The Beatles eclipse them all.

1 Like

For “while”, read “whole”… iPhone keyboard again :grinning:

Stones for me. Beatles music was played to death for years.

If the stones broke up after Some Girls- might have been very close.
What would have happened if the Beatles would have been around as a group for 40 more years? The Stones kept producing well after their “golden period “ from let’s say 1967 through 1974
The Beatles never had a chance to become mediocre
And I really love the Stones- Gimme Shelter and Sympathy For The Devil rank amongst the greatest rock songs ever written (IMHO).
David

1 Like

I love both bands but if I had to choose just one the Beatles would edge it for me.
I never got to see the Beatles but have seen the Stones twice.

Beatles for me. From age 10 to 12 I practically listened to nothing else, so they are seared into my DNA. I was wondering how many Stones songs would make it into my combined Beatles/Stones Top 10 - I think “Gimme Shelter” would be the only one - and what a song! - but I could easily fill that list with Beatles songs. Current personal Beatles fave tunes are “Baby You’re A Rich Man” and “I’ve Got A Feeling” (this latter - I think - because of the final rooftop concert footage).

1 Like

Another vote for the Fab Four. For me the Stones were always a singles band and I couldn’t really get into their albums apart from Sticky Fingers.

Stu

I REMAIN a stones fan and although the poll shows a clear majority for the Beatles unfortunately these voters have been misled and did not understand what they are voting for. In view of this we need to have a second peoples vote in order to decide this issue. This issue being the most important that the voters have had to make since 1945.

8 Likes

We never even bought a Beatles album until they started reissuing them as CD’s in recent years (1, Love, etc.). My wife and kids all love the Beatles but I am now and always have been a Stones fan. I also enjoyed the Keith Richards documentary on Netflix.

2 Likes