Stream Apple Music Lossless

Thanks, just ordered one - it’s a cracking looking little unit.

If so probably guilty too, but the thread title relates to Apple Music and there is no way to do that without significant jiggery pokery. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well…you need the hardware to play Apple hi res…

Sure, have been. One thing cool with the Topping tho is it displays the Qobuz rate when played through the Mac. I like to see the rate. Another thing, I’m wondering if accessing Qobuz through the Naim app (as in clicking Artists with the Qobuz logo in the Naim app) plays hi res? The Qobuz app defaults to the source and I choose my Naim, and then the screen shows “Chromecast built in” *when accessed through the Qobuz app. When I play Qobuz content through the Naim app that screen (Chromecast built in) does not appear.

Where in the Naim app does it…but that wouldn’t be for individual recordings…as for the Qobuz app, prior to now it was wonky. It delayed and didn’t play well. Now that seems resolved. I know Chromecast does cast in hi res. I hadn’t seen either way about the Naim app. Also Qobuz desktop JUST added “autoplay” to continue playing similar music to what had ended…not on mobile yet tho

Oh…duh…right. I knew that. Hey, I just stopped Wilco, closed the iPad app, opened the Mac Qobuz app with the wired connection through the Topping…it’s different. Quite a bit different. Have to say better. Much more defined. :man_shrugging:

I’m anxious for you to get the Topping. To my ears, a wired Qobuz connection through the Topping sounds much improved. I hope you’ll find you agree…lol…I listened to an album entirely streaming Qobuz from my iPad and now am listening to the same through the Mac and the Topping. Difference.

Very interesting!!!
Sounds something like USB reclocker, USB isolator, USB cables, etc. Some says voodoo, some are prepared to spend $$,$$$ because it transforms the SQ.

1 Like

Hopefully arriving tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face:

It may confuse issues as I’m moving the system to another room and also potentially have a few upgrades coming if I’m lucky.

1 Like

Well…this isn’t a large expenditure.

No, very reasonable cost and doesn’t look tacky, quite the opposite.

If it offers new options great, if not I guess I could return it.

2 Likes

I know, the usual history is that someone started with a cheap one, and then it gradually escalates to the cost of a Ferrari.

1 Like

:rofl: Lol…I started with a half priced Mu-so Qb V1…

1 Like

I am currently playing around with Spotify Premium, and Spotify Connect, sounds decent to me btw.

1 Like

I am just saying “interesting”.

I’m afraid I’m at a loss as to what you are all trying to do. If you use Qobuz hi-res via the Naim app, or Roon, the app is a remote control and the stream is direct between your internet and Naim streamer. You can’t do that with Apple Music in any simple way, you will need cables and adapters. If you have a iMac with optical out, that will get you partly there with a wired connection, but even then there is hickory pokery with output settings. Until Airplay is upgraded, or AM integrated into the Naim app (unlikely) it’s not really a contender against Qobuz, or even Tidal via Roon. Using Roon on a Mac or iOS device is a far better option I think.

Even a Mac with optical out won’t necessarily help with Apple Music in hi-res, unless you are fortunate to have one that can run Big Sur or Monterey - I think Big Sur as a minimum was needed for hi-res/lossless Apple Music playback :frowning:

Here’s a list of last Macs with optical out:

Those which officially run Big Sur:

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp833?locale=en_GB

My 2010 and 2012 Mac Minis are therefore out! (Officially anyway).

1 Like

Uh…no. I did. But don’t try it.

That is resolved when using the Qobuz app. Mac Mini to Topping to Nova through the Naim app displays the Mac output rate setting despite the source rate. When played same connections but through the Qobuz (desktop) app the proper rate is displayed on the Topping. Personally, I like seeing the rate of the selection playing.

1 Like

You could just use the Naim app for Qobuz, no need to connect anything additional to the Nova and the app will show the streaming rate. Using the Mac only adds more connections and associated noise.