Streamer firmware 3.8.0

Nope

Weird…:thinking:

Yep, certainly is. I think will have to blame the dealer for not plugging it in…

1 Like

But some will argue that it means nothing :joy:

Well both statements mean the same thing: People not hearing it add limited evidence to “no difference”, people hearing something add limited evidence to “difference exists”. Neither is proof as there are without doubt other possible factors, and it also should be considered that Naim’s explanation of the tuning does not indicate or plausibly explain large SQ differences

2 Likes

In fact I believe it completely excludes intentional large SQ differences.

Which would make sense for me.

I never have heard a real change between firmwares. It could be that it is because I use entry level Naim devices or it could be that I don’t hear it.

But people like certain sounds and not everyone likes the same sound profile. The concept that a premium hifi brand would introduce large SQ changes to devices makes no sense to me. That would imply that buying Naim you have no guarantee of keeping the sound you purchased in the first place.

And as I have not experienced these changes on production releases I still have a bit of a hard head in the matter.

2 Likes

I was trying to keep it vague and allow a generous interpretation :slight_smile: It really should be in the public FAQ

3 Likes

That was vague, wasn’t it? :laughing:

Maybe @Naim.Marketing , @Richard.Dane and @NeilS could enlighten us all on the matter?

:man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Popeye, on what matter would you like enlightenment?

I was so sure you will very soon comment it :grin::chicken:

Well yeah, during the pandemic I have become more insistent on following proper logic. You notice that I am not taking a side

Firmware updates and changes in sound presentation.

The “SQ changes very noticeably with FW versions, so much so that it’s possible to find a particular version terrible and unbearable, difficult to listen to music”, and how this is possible based on Naim’s explanation in the Beta room :slight_smile:

That’s one for the software development team - I just fix stuff! :smiley:

Regards
Neil.

5 Likes

I think Naim have commented on this on here in the past. I’m no expert but I gather that if you change anything in firmware then it will in some way or other affect performance which is why so much time is spent finessing code to ensure performance is either maintained or even improved.

I can believe it as I’ve experienced this with other digital devices, albeit the sound was all over the place with every firmware update. No finessing going on there!

It’s also perhaps why in Naim’s CD players they pared back the code to an absolute minimum as this tended to sound best. Back then I guess there wasn’t any way to finesse things like can be done nowadays.

As ever, Naim realise that every single thing matters in getting the best performance, even the stuff that doesn’t necessarily seem to do so on the face of it.

3 Likes

Well, well, I will no comment further…

That’s the problem … Naim speaks about possible subtle changes (and some more details in the Beta explanation), while some members have troubles listening to music with 3.7 or whatever because it is so terrible.

There’s a discrepancy and I believe this is where more clarity would be appreciated

1 Like

If it’s not a secret best not divulged could I ask what coding language the firmware is written in?

It’s basically just the effect on non-audible noise, which when removed, improves micro harmonics. The same as having better seperate power supplies and better quality shielded cables etc. Discuss :popcorn::popcorn::eyes::eyes: