Streaming audio: wishes for 2021

I’d like to see either an si series streamer to reduce the entry price to Naim streaming separates, or a streaming transport. Rationale for this is my preference for physical media, but enjoyment of streaming for casual listening and music discovery. I currently stream from my laptop into a USB DAC, but if a decent yet affordable hardware solution from a premium brand was available I would be interested.

2 Likes

I’d like to be able to access CD booklets, where Qobuz provides them, within the Naim app, just as I can do in Lightning DS controlling my Auralic streamer. And any chance of accessing booklets saved as information files when using MinimServer and the Naim app, as can be done with Bubble DS on Android?

Finally, BBC, please, please, pretty please can we have live Radio 3 concerts regularly available as FLAC? You’ve done it once, so we know you can do it.

Roger

3 Likes

Bet Naim HQ are smirking at these comments lol

As @NO-QUARTER suggested, a Nain streamer-only without a Dac.
I suggested this a while ago and took some flack from a few members. Weird, cuz it seems like a no-brainer, especially for the loyal customers who purchased an NDX, ND5 XS, or an NDS, late in the game. It would be nice to be able to update the units.
I actually emailed Naim on it, but no response. I didn’t expect one tho.

2 Likes

How many RnD employees are solely working with Naim?

Yes, I have argued many times that Naim could have made something similar to what Primare did for their loyal customers and put the NP800 streaming board in a small enclosure with outstanding SPDIF outputs.

They argued that the ND5XS2 was that product and that a dacless version of the ND5XS2 would cost more or less the same. I think that the argument is not valid because Naim could have put the NP800 in a Classic Series half-sized enclosure and relied on an external power supply to power it.

Now it is perhaps too late as many owners of legacy Naim DACs and streamers have moved to dCS, Allo, Auralic, Meridian, Primare, etc. for front-ending their devices.

But who knows, hope dies last and perhaps 2021 will bring us finally some good news from Naim!

3 Likes

Yes exactly. And I do understand their take on it, but even if a particular product offerring is a bit of a lost leader, it would mend so many disgruntled feelings from customers with legacy products, that I believe they would have recouped the lack of profits on such an item, thru other sales.

You never really ever win an arguement with a customer … they just go somewhere else.
But as you say, 2021 may bring us some good news on this.
Cheers.

Dave

1 Like

Mono power amps to go on the Atom to match the atom casework

1 Like

Good idea but that’s not streaming audio stuff, is it?

I have my doubts that Naim will produce a DAC-less streamer in the near future.

In the days of CD players, for many years Naim rejected the idea of splitting the DAC and transport unlike, for example, Meridian. Their preferred two-box setup was player plus power supply. Indeed, the introduction of the nDAC in 2009 was greeted with some surprise as it seemed to represent a change in philosophy, though even then no Naim pure CD transport was forthcoming. It looks to me as if the firm has now returned to their former way of doing things with extra boxes in the form of power supplies. (I regard the V1 as a rather different beast, aimed at a different market.)

With the current lineup, It would probably not make commercial sense to produce a streaming transport unless they also had a DAC to go with it and this would need to be at least at the level of the nDAC. However, this would seem to represent another change of audio philosophy and given the lack of replacement of the nDAC, I suspect this is unlikely to happen (soon).

I’m probably completely wrong – I usually am.

Roger

1 Like

I watch many superb gigs on YouTube and the sound is through my hifi.

The sound quality in some cases is very good, e.g. for the Mark Guiliana/Brad Mehldau Nonesuch album Mehliana.

The ND5XS2 gets pretty close to that.

1 Like

I can access numerous album booklets from Qobuz in the Naim app.

Agreed. Sounds just like a ND5XS2 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:which is fantastic (IMHO). Biased opinion of course.

1 Like

MQA support :grinning:

1 Like

+1 for quality transport without a dac. No need to think on Nd555 in my case if a transport only is produced.

1 Like

That’s great, a late Chrissy present. Could you explain for numskulls like me how to do it?

Simply as an example, I was looking at a recent disc of chamber music by Reynaldo Hahn played by Quatuor Tchalik. In Lightning DS there’s a little book symbol and if I tap it the CD booklet appears. I can’t see an equivalent symbol on the Naim app, so I guess there must be another way of accessing it. Any help in doing this most gratefully received.

Roger

Hi Roger

I just tried that album.

You play it and then touch the icon of the album bottom left on my iPad version.

Then make sure you’re in the style where the tracks are listed as text (not as large central images).

Then touch the 3 dots and select ‘Open Booklet’.

The Naim app then searches for metadata.

In this case the metadata (from Qobuz?) is really sketchy.

(Indeed, the image below may show the search has found the wrong album?)

But sometimes it’s better.

But I’ve only just got Qobuz again, so have little experience of how good it can be, and how often it hits the target.

Naim user that i am, they always say can’t happen then bring out the product. Endless examples like DAC can’t be outside the player, never will we use phono plugs. Until its needed in the market then its OK.

Yes another for the Dac- less streaming transport please, preferably half width and with optional onboard storage.

5 Likes