Streaming audio: wishes for 2021

Yes but, I understand, not those booklets that one has bought and that are made available by MinimServer on the LAN. This works flawlessly with the BubbleUPnP control app. It is a shame if it still doesn’t work with the Naim app, why not?

I really hope they can resolve the random reboot issue on the current range of streamers. I’d also like to see the frozen artwork issue resolved, although that is a far lower priority in my view, since I have the display set to off.

The random reboot issue adversely affects the Naim Audio experience and, I would have thought, the company’s reputation. This was never an issue before firmware v3.5, which makes it all the more disappointing that it is taking so long to resolve.

HDX II as upnp and roon server, ssd, auto rip, price range 5-8k, without DAC, AES/USB out

Interesting. Hardly any requests for a successor to the Uniti Core but one that can beat Innuos at its own game.

Perhaps we’ve all stopped waiting and bought our Melco/Innuos/Nucleus/Other server by now instead of a Core.

Personally, I’d very much like to see a server with optional integrated cd ripper, a decent Ethernet switch integrated into it, as well as removable drives, USB & SPDIF outputs, a non-proprietary format for storing music & metadata and finally a linear power supply.

While we now enjoy a far better streaming source than the core, the box count for the server, switch, streamer and power supplies is ridiculous.

Best, BF

3 Likes

BF- spot on! Switch+psu+ roon core+psu+pimped NAS = massive rack pace! One unit would be great

Here my set-up…roon core + Sbooster is in another frame…

1 Like

Yes, I have argued many times that Naim users deserve a better server than the Uniti Core, and a Classics Series server is on my wish list:

Add the NP800 into the box, get rid of the old crappy software and support state of the art UPnP servers like MinimServer 2 and Asset. Job done. I am not sure a server needs to integrate a CD reader, these days. A CD reader requires additional space, power and isolation. For occasional ripping, an external USB reader is probably enough.

I would very much appreciate a cd ripper, as we still buy & rip the cd albums that we like. Several suppliers such as Audiostore have cd drives as an option to fit in their servers. This approach would work well, so those that want a ripper can choose one, while those that rely solely on streaming services would not need to.

It would be essential for Naim to adopt software such as the dBPoweramp & Asset suite or Minimserver etc., as the current approach of separating metadata from the music files excludes Naim for many, many potential customers including ourselves.

Best regards, BF

4 Likes

Why so many boxes? With a dedicated connection between source and DAC (via SPDIF, USB or Ethernet) there is no need for switches, additional PSUs, etc. Two boxes and a control point in front of the amplification are enough, perhaps even too much, in my view.

I tested many options but my actual setup sounds best for me.
Roon core dedicated sounds better vs Innous integration.
Melco sounds better vs Innous.
Roon with PSU sounds better vs without

3 Likes

Expensive try&error :grinning::joy:

We have pursued a similar path in the quest for sound quality and the end result in terms of sound quality is utterly delightful.

The aesthetics, however, are rubbish. Server + external LPS, Switch + external LPS, streamer + external LPS, M Scaler + external brick SMPS, DAC, then finally into the Naim pre-amp. That’s way too many boxes, cables and plug sockets.

It would be awesome if the same performance came from 2 or 3 boxes.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Totally agree on the CD Ripper. Have the Core and used it a lot. Thought the sound was good, but recently acquire a very good vintage CD/DVD player, and the same disk in the Player sounds significantly nicer than from the Core. I do like the convenience of a remote on the Core to select music from my chair. The Player requires a trip up every so often, which is probably better for my health.

1 Like

@T38.45, @Bluesfan: perhaps it is Roon that adds another level of complexity and the need to run server and endpoint on different devices? For mere UPnP (and internet) streaming I would expect a Melco server and a Naim streamer (connected to the Melco via the dedicated Ethernet port) to be all one needs.

Perhaps I am not enough interested in ultimate sound quality and I anyway only have (limited) space for a system in the living room. There, I would not want to see more than two or three boxes anyway and an integrated server + player solution would be an ideal complement for the nDAC + SN2.

1 Like

Right- the easy setup is Innous running upnp and roon core and connect it to your streamer.
But (!) you can improve this SQ wise really further. Or to say it like you can buy a Naim Uniti or 552/555/ND :slight_smile:

I have an alternative system to the Naims based on old-fashioned balanced audio transformers to reduce the earthing/HF-problems. Naim is doing a good job with their earthing system but paying a high price with very high quality power supplies.

My alternative is a dCS Bridge -> AES/ABU -> Schiit Yggdrasil2 DAC -> Balanced audio -> EAR912 -> Balanced audio -> Linn Klimax Twin. Very clean fast transients, no harshness and timbrally stable.

1 Like

Thanks Jim, that’s what I get, too. Unfortunately it’s for the wrong disc. If I tap the booklet symbol in Lightning DS I get:

It runs to 11 pages and is, I presume, the booklet insert if you buy the CD or download.

There’s a workaround which is to open the App and view it there, but I still think it would good to be able to view it directly in the Naim app.

Roger

I make do ok with the info on the Naim app plus wikipedia.

One reason it matters to me is that I listen to a lot of classical vocal music. This is typically in a foreign (to me) language and booklet notes often give the words plus translations. Having these available while listening enhances my understanding and enjoyment of the music.

Roger

2 Likes

Yes, like at Glyndebourne when they started projecting supertitles and I could finally understand the action so much better.

Well, there’s plenty of ideas for the current platform (many of which, will be very user / use-case / taste specific):

• A proper “random” function across “the whole library”. I used this for “decades” with iTunes for background music, and in home office I switch more and more to iRadio, since scheduling music manually for hours of background listening is bothersome.
  • More configurable options for settings, e.g. when to have display on/off (e.g. per input) and when to turn “all lights off” (e.g. while watching movies or even listening music in a dark room; since the display is possible to switch off, it’s okay, but not perfect yet).
  • Some functions appear on app / front / remote only. I understand some use-cases are app-only, but why are some settings (at least: brightness) “remote only”?

Just from the top of my head…

1 Like