Streaming Server for NDS

Frequent switching between Audirvana & the Naim app can cause issues, so I try to avoid that.

Also recommend using the Audirvana app (or IoS remote) for all navigation and the Naim remote only for volume control. Using the latter for navigation often results in failure.

Good luck!

1 Like

I try only to use naim app for volume but still playback stops from time to time at the end of tracks. Sent an email to audirvana for support and we’ll see.

Maybe try using the Naim remote for volume & avoid the Naim app altogether?

Not an option for me. If that would be required to make it work then Audirvana is out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Will play around with different things to see what happens.

IME you’re almost certain to have problems if trying to access both apps simultaneously.

I alternate between AS & the Naim app (for radio only) but only have one app active at a time…

Are there any specific changes to settings you’ve made in Audirvana, mac mini and Naim (app) to optimise compatibility?

Not really, other than the ‘don’t use RAW PCM’ setting (see above), which my NDS prefers.

Best setup for me is Audirvana running on a dedicated Mac Mini with ethernet connection & controlled via Audirvana remote app (IoS).

Other options I’ve tried, e.g Audirvana on a Macbook via wi-fi connection, or the Android remote, also work well enough – most of the time – but are more prone to glitches.

If you’re running Audirvana via a laptop / wi-fi, maybe try it via an ethernet connection to see if that improves stability? Again, the less you use the Naim app while Audirvana is active, the better.

I first ran it on my Macbook air on wireless. Then moved to run it on my mac mini on ethernet. I believe it stops playback from time to time at the end of tracks even if I don’t touch the naim interface. I really want this to work since it sounds better than any setup I’ve used even with NDX2, that is Audirvana UPNP + Qobuz. Have used Roon and Naim with qobuz before but the ease/flow of music and air around instruments seems to be much great using Audirvana for some reason at my place. The bass response is so effortless.

1 Like

Interesting that you prefer Audirvana / Qobuz vs. native Qobuz via NDX2. I can’t try that with my NDS, but I did find Audirvana / Tidal clearly better than native Tidal with NDS & my previous N272.

It is a fiddly setup, so all I can advise is keep fiddling!

Audirvana support are usually helpful, especially if you send the log files. Likewise the Audirvana forum, where there’s typically others experiencing similar issues.

1 Like

I might have solved it. Went into the computer settings in Audirvana and toggled all settings to be optimised for this like prevent screen saver, audio priority and all such. Played an full album now without music stopping :pray: Audirvana also consume MUCH less power than Roon meaning my old mac mini work much better now. I actually ended Roon due to the sluggish system response they have introduced lately for older platforms.

3 Likes

Is this correct?

With my 272 I had before I added a Lumin U1 mini as a streamer which added Qobuz. Then the 272 streaming board is totally out of the loop and you feed the digital music data straight into the DAC on 272 (or nds).

If using say Audirvana then the “cloud” make the digital signal compatible with the built in streamer in say 272, NDS meaning you still use the built in streamer but the digital signal fed to it can be managed due to a conversation from something to something? If yes, what is it converted from and to, to make it compatible with legacy streamers?

Does that mean the streamer board operates same way as streaming content directly with say Tidal? I’m not bypassing the streamer section in an NDS using Audirvāna?

Any network connection, WiFi or Ethernet, goes to the streaming board. SPDIF (optical or coax) bypass it and go to the SHARC DSP, which is more or less part of the DAC.

1 Like

I connected a node 2i with a good naim DC1 cable to NDS, I am very satisfied with the performance. It can play anything that NDS can’t, I think it is a cheap and effective choice. I still use NDS directly to play flac files from my NAS and play radios, but when comes time of different music services or format than node helps. also if I decide to change often song within Tidal, node is fast and reliable and supports tidal connect.

That’s interesting. I connected my Bluesound Node2 to my NDS with a cheapo optical cable and I heard a significant drop in SQ.

I guess the cable could be a factor

1 Like

Digital coax is going to be a better option than optical.

1 Like

For sure it is. Optical cable is not considered a good option by many. Also coax cables are not all the same. If you have the possibility to change connection to a good coax then let me know.

1 Like

In an earlier post, I said I was looking at the Wiim Pro as streamer for my NDX.
I eventually went for a Primare NP5 mk2 streamer, powered by an Ifi Powe X, and connected to the digital in, on my NDX by a Chord Clearway coax. Early results are very impressive, but as much as I would love to go for an NDX2, funds don’t permit, and this seems a good compromise at the moment. An option for the future, may well be a pre loved NDAC.

Thanks for your comment, I’m not so expert in electric impact, but as node works only as reader, reads bits and delivers bit, while all the dac conversion is performed by NDS, do you think the power supply has an impact? Anyhow I use node only for some specific case, i prefer using NDS in full, even if this means waiting a minute more to load the file from server, I love NDS analogical sound.

That is why I invested in the a much improved power supply in the Ifi power X. I did compare it against the supply that came in the box with Primare streamer, definitely a big audible improvement. Worth the extra for sure.