Stuck a Linear Power Supply on My Switch - Blimey! šŸ˜±

Hereā€™s a picture of one SMPS I replaced in my network chain. This is 230V AC in, 5V DC out

6 Likes

Enough saidā€¦:grin:ā€¦

2 Likes

Yes I see. What are all those wires and tubes and things for? :crazy_face:

1 Like

Whatā€™s the small fried egg doing?

G

4 Likes

One of the most surprising improvements to my system were the Mundorf Silver/Gold JSSG360 DC cables developed and built by a good friend. They made a profound difference in terms of imaging, transparency, dimensionality and purity. I was amazed that a DC cable to a switch and bridge could make such a huge difference.

As a consequence of this experience I really donā€™t like the idea of using a piece of BT supplied DC cable with your power supply. Given the hugely significant positive changes the Mundorf made, itā€™s certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that the BT cable is having exactly the opposite effect.
If I was in your situation I would get hold of Ghent Audio via email and discuss your need for a decent DC cable with the appropriate connector.

6 Likes

Same for me with Plixir ps, I didnā€™t want to pay Ā£200 for their upgraded dc cable but actually it worth the effort. Many report the same about Farad dc cables also.

4 Likes

Do you have a photo if the inside of the DC4, so we can what Ā£5000 worth of capacitors, diodes, transistors and resistors looks like. :cowboy_hat_face:

As with any piece of kit, you get good and bad examples, whether a LPS or SMPS.

Look at the R&D and investment that Linn do and, theyā€™re using SMPS in their Hubs and Amps.

DGā€¦

2 Likes

I think one can agree on that there is no single truth and that everyone is right and wrong. Happy hunting :blush:

4 Likes

I think that if you want to get a significant difference,.you also have to be prepared to pay what a really good linear powersupply costs.

People always try to get away cheaply,.but if you want to experience a difference, you also have to be prepared to payā€¦unfortunately.

4 Likes

My Plixir Elite BDCā€™s have been used on my Nucleus (and prior with my Chord Qutest). I started with Plixir Statement silver DC cables, but upgraded to Ghent JSSG360 Gotham GAC 4/1 UltraPro DCā€™s and whoa. No going back. DC cables matter.

4 Likes

Just wonderingā€¦ instead of changing to an LPS, has anybody replaced the switch power cord with an audiophile one? If so, how did it go?

1 Like

Iā€™d add:

1. Naim donā€™t have the desire nor staffing to address the issues that arise when home networks donā€™t operate as the homeowner expects. Once you start selling network hardware you have to support it and that means diagnosing why the network as a whole isnā€™t working right ā€“ is it your hardware or something else on the network? Too much support needed for too little revenue.

2. Itā€™s a crowded field. There are already quite a few premium products in the market. Not to mention everything at the lower end.

1 Like

I removed all sps from my setup and placed ifi ipower elites for the fiber modem and the router, with great benefits

2 Likes

Iā€™m still using an old Cisco 2960 and changing to a better low noise clock (with a local LPS for the clock) made a decent improvement. Moving the whole router to an external low noise LPS less so.

With the Roon-server trying different SSD:s resulted in bigger improvement than trying external low-noise LPS. No idea why - maybe the type of the internal controller in the SSD makes difference.

The last tweak that made an improvement was moving back to nDAC/XPSDR via SPDIF.

1 Like

Yes, and I bet Naimā€™s help desk people spend a vexing amount of time on home network issues that are not their fault already.

Everytime I changed a cable for an audiophile one it made a difference. Even those going into the power suppliesā€¦

2 Likes

So I guess as Audiophiles, we are saying for something to do its job well, there has to be lots of bits, and it has to look pretty?

Yes, I use a Vovox Sonorus Power Chord on the Cisco 3560 switch. The Cisco has a built-in power supply and no external power supply can be connected. The Vovox is not an expensive cable (230 euros) and has brought an immediately audible improvement. It is worth a try.
I use the Cisco in the house as the first central switch for the entire network, including heating and solar panels with IGMP snooping. In front of the streamer (ND5XS2) I also use a Silent Angel Bonn F8 switch with Forester LPS power supply. It was specially developed for the Bonn F8 and has brought about the same improvement as the switch alone. I have not tried any different power supply units on the F8, but trust the supplier Silent Angel. I also recently tried a Vovox excelsus power chord as a supply cable for the Forrester power supply. I didnā€™t notice any great improvement spontaneously.

2 Likes

Yes DC cables have a profound effect. It surprised me too when I upgraded the DC power cable on my Plixir supply that feeds my Melco N100 from the standard one to the Plixir Statement cable. A huge improvement. Donā€™t quite know why this surprised me - every other cable makes a difference after all! Incidentally my Plixir Elite BDC PS is fed by a Naim Powerline, which in turn is fed from a Chord M6 block with a Cord Power Array plugged into it. The block is fed by a Chord Epic mains cable.

I agree the use of the cheap and nasty BT cable/plug assembly was far from ideal, but necessary since the correct size DC plug proved impossible to source. Believe me I tried very hard. I suspect that itā€™s a proprietary size plug comissioned by BT to prevent this very situation, ie. people meddling with power supplies on their routers! The plug is apparently 5.5mm OD x 3mm ID (confirmed on a BT forum). There is a British company who make this size but it has a centre pin and the BT plug does not so will not fit (the input socket on the router has a centre pin). Apparently a plug of 6.3mm OD x 3mm ID will work and is easily available but itā€™s a very tight fit so I donā€™t really like the idea of forcing the wrong size plug into the power socket on my router.

1 Like