What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

Thanks for the info. I assume as it’s SFP rather than SFP+ that it’ll be fine for 1Gb connection. One way to find out…

Edit - found the spec and it’s listed as 10Gb. Slotted it in and it’s all working fine so it’ll be interesting to give it a go.

Very good. I’m not sold on the clock. The DAC itself is pretty good. I prefer the sound to all 3 versions on the 851 and I prefer it to the DAC in the Michi X5 but that’s a closer call. This is all so far. I don’t have golden ears like some seem to but the above is my honest comments on my kit, my room my ears…

1 Like

Sorry should’ve said the clock changes the sound…slightly…for the better I’m not sure to be honest…

1 Like

Decided to an Apple TV 4K Wi‑Fi + Ethernet with 128GB storage (3rd generation) box today.

Been using a cheap casting dongle from Amazon, but you had to connect the iPhone to its Wi-Fi, which meant you could only see pictures and videos from the phone.

Now I can do a proper Mirror Screen from the iPhone and do full casting.

Let the adventures begin.

DG…

2 Likes

A second hand Supra LoRad 3x2.5mm Copper Power Cable with Furutech Plugs. I’m using it on my Farad 3 LPS for my EE8/ND555 set up. The Naim boxes are on a Powerline full loom, including the Core. I might look at a similar lead for the Heed Obselik PS that feeds the Canalot headphone amp and Quasar phono stage, when something nice comes up at a good price.

7 Likes

Hi Mike thanks for sharing. I would be interested to hear about your experiences. Is it worth updating the power supply with relatively inexpensive power cables? There is a special thread for this (Click here) so that we don’t need to discuss too much details here….

1 Like

Interesting… I’ll be intrigued to see if you think that’s better than just streaming through a Mac to a AV amp?

@Neil0001

The version I got was the Apple TV 4K Wi‑Fi + Ethernet with 128GB storage.

Just installed the Apple TV box, easy peasy, as usual for Apple. Just connect, power, HDMI and Ethernet. (Apple recommended this version for the benefit of the Ethernet connection).

Loaded the Apps for ITVx and Amazon Prime, again very easy.

It’s very easy to control the above apps, the Apple TV remote control is much, much faster than the TV remote control. Apple did say it would be much quicker and they were right. You can also speak to Siri and ask it to bring the app up which is very fast and easy to do.

Tried the mirror screening and it worked a treat. Tested the video by watching the Japan F1 race results. No issues, all smooth.

So far, so good, it does seem a good bit of kit.

Now to carry on playing.

DG…

3 Likes

Yes, it’s a good bit of kit.

1 Like

Who makes the diffusor, @Lucifer?

It’s Vicoustic and their Multifuser wood 36

1 Like

Clock going back. DAC is pretty good but the clock in my system, room and ears is snake oil and nothing more I’m afraid. I’m sure many will disagree but it’s all I can say…

NVC TT. Down sizing to puppy proof the room. So far the NVCTT/222/NPX300 are exceeding expectations

13 Likes

It’s not so much that I bought it, but I am auditioning it my system at home, for potential purchase. My dealer is off to AXPONA in Chicago, so I get to play with this for a week.

This silver behemoth is a Boulder 1108 phono-stage. Fully balanced inputs and outputs. For now I need adapters to single ended both ways. I have a 252 so I’ll always need adapters for the outputs. If I decide to keep it I’ll get my tonearm cables re-terminated to balanced connections.

I currently have a Superline/SuperCapDR with a cryo’d Z-Plug for loading, a HiLine DIN 4-5 IC and and Powerline AC cable. However, I really need a phono-stage with two inputs, and I’m not so sure I want to buy a second Superline, PSU and cables.

My initial impressions are that the bass is much better: deeper, punchier, more refined and detailed. The other is that the soundstage is quite improved, with better imaging of inner details (like where the keyboard is playing across the keyboard). The soundstage/image sweet spot for listening has also expanded.

My wife just sat down to hear and minutes into a Chick Corea trio alum (Now He Sings, Now He Sobs Tone poet reissue), she noted pretty much the exact same thing. That would seem uncanny, but it’s confirmation.

The demo can be improved. I don’t have cables to match the quality of my HiLine, and the loading cards are 100Ω. I think loading at 225Ω or 450Ω might be better. My dealer plans to address that.

12 Likes

A little Atom for my WFH desk.

Currently on a big discount in Australia as the old distributor clears out stock.
Absolute breeze to setup and using it with my old Oppo PM-3 headphones - am thinking about getting some Neat Acoustic Iota’s - but at the moment everything sounds really nice using the headset.

10 Likes

Yes… was looking at the dealers (ex) website months ago, Al on heavy discount . Even statement heavy discount

Do you like your Oppos PM-3s, I bought the PM-2’s about a week before they went out of hi fi. I find that they sound great but the ear cups don’t last and it’s a problem replacing them. Spoke to Oppo and got zero assistance, every disappointing.

I like how they sound, good bass and nice and detailed. But the same as yours, the leather is wearing badly and they dont last.

Have you had to replace them, the only source I could find was a dodgy supplier out of China via EBay. They did arrive eventually but they’re just as bad as the originals.

No - they play ok, just look tatty and wouldn’t take much travel to finish them.