Sub woofer

That’s the plan…once things are safer again…

I think it’s the cheapest way to further integrate what I already have…

Indeed, and it’s a solution that can work really well.

1 Like

I don’t really get this. If you’ve not got enough bass end for your liking, doesn’t that just mean you’re running either an under-powered amp or your speakers aren’t up to it, or both? Or is getting a sub just a cheaper way to your required bass level than upgrading either or both of those options?
Please enlighten me… :blush:

That’s one strong reason… :slightly_smiling_face:

Even if I were to get a floorstander with a powerful amp…that presents it’s challenges in terms of the lower octaves…

It’s not the bass freq in Hz alone but the Scale of the bass where I find the 18 inch sub helpful as compared to a 2.5 way common floorstander with 6 inch compromised midbass driver.

Hi @MikeD - a topical point (see the concurrent ‘Nap 500 dr speakers’ thread) which, potentially, appears to highlight this aspect, with the cure of installing subs flagged as a solution.

Intuitively, installing a sub(s) when an amp is struggling with the current demand of a speaker (in the bass domain) doesn’t seem the correct solution to me. Even if the feed for the subs is taken from (say) a Naim pre-amp (which isn’t recommended for all the reasons stated), it strikes me the speaker when delving down in to the bass isn’t going to deliver what’s expected as to timing, quality et al (flabby?), such that marrying subs to it doesn’t seem a simple exercise to perform.

To me, it’s just created something akin to an active system, with a headache around settings/configuration - which is a tad perverse. And as @Xanthe outlines, picking up a feed from the speaker terminals, when the amp is under stress from the load its facing, doesn’t seem logical.

I can understand the application of subs to boost bass output (as @anon93526344 outlines) but curing the performance limitations of a speaker (caused by the amp) which is designed to deliver out suitable bass performance in the first instance seems a tad strange to me.

Or am I mis-understanding what subs can be used for in compensating in such circumstances?

1 Like

( am unable to get the large font down - so excuse me please )

Hi @HappyListener

Let me paste a few words from the Troelsgravesen website and maybe that will be helpful in having a view on things.

====================================================

Size matters

This may seem an odd place to start, but nevertheless: You must have an idea about what size speaker you’re aiming at. What is the size of your room and do you have a wife who thinks loudspeakers are ugly and should be stuck away on shelves in upper corners of your living room? You need to address these issues first. No point in dreaming about a 100 liter floor-standers if it means divorce.
What I have experienced from mails coming in is that people may have chosen a (small) low-efficiency speaker and “compensated” by buying a powerful amp, and they find out the speaker really can’t play that loud all the same…
*Well, it doesn’t work that way. *
*We must look at the size of the main driver, and if we’re dealing with 55-75 square centimeters of membrane area (4" drivers) it simply cannot move a lot of air.

You may have heard a speaker with a 10-12" bass driver and we’re talking 300-500 cm^2 membrane area.

Up to ten times more radiating area compared to a small mini-mini!*

Even a 6" driver, typically making some 130-155 cm^2, won’t move a lot of air in a vented or closed enclosure. A high-efficiency 6" in a huge rear-loaded horn may be another story, but few people build these things.
*Generally people have too high expectations from their diy projects and buying high-quality small drivers won’t compensate for the lack of radiating area. *

So, size matters!

- size, efficiency and bass extension

Efficiency is inversely proportional to the moving mass and - proportional to the square of the product of cone area and BL.

No matter what we do, we have to balance these three basic parameters, size, efficiency and low-end extension, the trade-offs in loudspeaker building.

If size is not a limiting factor , we can get really low bass and very high efficiency.

If size is restricted , we have to sacrifice efficiency - or low-end extension .

If you want high efficiency - and small volume - you have to sacrifice deep bass .

A 12" driver usually has a cone area of a little more than 500 cm^2. This is more than 3 times a ScanSpeak 18W/8531G00 driver!

Size_bass-ext_eff

All this has to be viewed in relation to your room size…

In my case

a. I have a large room
20 ft by 12 ft wide and add 8 ft more open area on the right speaker size

b
I dont think a floorstander with a 6 + 6 + 1 combo will fill my room and in someways i feel better to have a 2 way stand-mount tapering off at 55 Hz and to let the subwoofer do the bass duties…

More drivers can mean more complicated crossovers as well and that implies compromised driver efficiency in case of a 2.5 way.

A large 3 way speaker with a 12 + 6 + 1 is another matter but at this point in time i am in the 2.1 stereo journey…

An 18 inch subwoofer brings scale to the party and not just point to point bass.

Hi @anon93526344 - in your case, I can see the benefits of a sub(s) in complementing the relatively narrow bass-range stand-mounts in the overall system set-up - and the narrative you’ve cut in is interesting stuff. When it comes to bass extension, there’s no substitute for size!

What I’m trying to untangle though, is (say) you had a big pair of floor-standers, with big bass drivers but your amp couldn’t deliver 100% of what such big bass drivers demand in terms of current to optimise bass performance, would you then look to sub(s) as a potential solution?

I have been using subwoofer for a few years…

I started off with a 10 incher then replaced that with an 18 inch.

Present amp is a SN2

My other amp is a 50W Naim Nait 5i-2 …which is sleeping…sometimes I take it for a spin and the sub-woofer fills in the low end very well thru the high level connections as the Nait 5i-2 doesn’t have
Sub Out.

What you refer to in your last para is a possibility…

Of course… depending on cost and other occupants in the house etc etc…

Coming to floorstander most of the commonly used ones have either 5.25 inch or 6.5 inch or 8 inch drivers…

A subwoofer can add to the total radiating area…if you take that view.

And radiating area is sound…LF wise.

Other community members will like to share their thoughts as well…there are many experienced folks here…

I’ve just brought a Totem Storm sub to go in my media room, running of a Nova and paired with Totem Hawks, I’m mainly looking a better lower end for Blu-ray movies.

For connections, I could use the RCA sub out from the Nova to the sub. But the sub will also take a speaker cable connection from the Nova and then take speaker outputs to the individual speakers - I have a spare pair of NAC A5, so could do this and my dealer recommended it - is it the better approach?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.