Sugden Preamp to Supernait 2 for more refinement

I’m not sure the emoji lexicon covers this situation, but I’ll go with this one: :slight_smile:

If it was me, given what else is going on in your life (I wish your mother the very best and hope she is comfortable at least), and the fact you spent a lot on a lovely Fluke measuring instrument already (for a pretty rare use case, you’ll use this cable all the time!), and the quoted figures for Chord cables are much more than the Naim cable. I would have ordered the Naim cable earlier in the week - life’s too precious to worry about it in context.

Your measurements sound consistent with the specification earlier in the thread. But it is obviously important to know which DIN pins you measured. Can you reliably associate the pins you measured with ch1, ch2, nc and -ve in the earlier post?

Hello. Yes I suppose I could do that more precisely. I got an official answer again:
“+VE will only be used in Snaic4/5 cables, not in Chord/Naim RCA - DIN cables.
2RCA to 4DIN from Naim or Chord will get you the right cable.”
Of course I am not sure what that really means.
I bought the Fluke for repairing my tuners. Watched 2 weeks non stop electronical videos but of course it is not enough and one needs lots of good material … so I won’t do any hifi repair. Ps I wanted a Fluke since a kid as my best friend chemistry Dr in Zurich now built sound systems for a discoteam and once I had the priviledge to hold his light when he was soldering while the private party was rocking. He had a grey Fluke, I always wanted a yellow one.

Thanks for your nice words. Kind regards.

1 Like

A lovely place. Used to work there, every night a restaurant at the Place de Paris.

1 Like

Naim told me this: “+VE will only be used in Snaic4/5 cables, not in Chord/Naim RCA - DIN cables.
2RCA to 4DIN from Naim or Chord will get you the right cable.”"

Whatever that means for my Din-RCA cable…
Perhaps you know.
Thanks again for all your lovely help. Kind regards. HF

with sometimes very great jazz bands or local fanfares. But Germany is so much easier for hifi people … we do not have any hifi club and higher transport and import taxes and lots of people refuse to send anything to L. And actually because of Brexit 50% of customers who bought packages from UK pay double of import costs because IOSS number is missing on the electronic way. IOSS numbers on the package do not count if not transmitted electronically. I won’t buy anything from UK anymore. For 3 cables worth 102 GBB I paid 182 eur. Never again.

1 Like

Fluke reacting when touching these different 2 pins once if connecting inside pin of RCA (both left and right) and the other Din pin if connecting outside pin of RCA (both left and right). Sorry for the pic, my artistic skills are with real brushes with acrylic and oil, not on a Pc :slight_smile: Hope that helps. Regards. HF

Hello. You find my drawing and new measurements at the end of this thread. Thanks again for your nice helping aid. Regards. HF

Nice, there are two RCA inners though, they have a DIN pin each. Maybe, for the two non labelled pins on your diagram, let us know which part of the RCA plugs they go to. One should go nowhere, one to the inner pin of the left RCA. The existing RCA inner pin label on your diagram should be that of the right RCA… if I read the diagram earlier in the thread correctly. You should check that diagram too, so you’re personally reassured!

Sorry I have to admit that I did not understand anything of your technical explanations. I just touched the poles with the Fluke and all the other pins showed no Voltage or current at all. That’s all I can tell now. I suppose it does not matter at all as all Din 4 pin to RCA cables will work as the +ve is only needed for a Naim Snaic 4 pin to a Snaic 5 pin. Price from german seller for a dedicated Preamp to Naim power amp is 149 eur. That’s a lot of money if I find out that my cable works exactly the same. But my mother is in intensive care now as her heart does not give any energy to her body. I suppose I better forget all this and leave it. Kind regards. HF

You’re not looking for voltage or current.
Set your meter to resistance/ ohms.
Your looking for a 0 reading, sorry to hear about your mums illness.

Thanks, yes of course, it was on Ohm, and 2 pins of the Din always showed 0 whether touching inside or outside of the RCA. 2 RCA inners, I suppose you mean the black (left) and right (red) RCA. 12 years ago I soldered my last RCA’s for an e-drum and the result was bad. Well for 3 years I tried myself to prepare to her goodbye, I can’t help her. Her father died when she was 3 years old while 2nd world war, so hard life and consequences for the next generations too. Regards. Hf

1 Like

Ok, does that sound like the cable matches the pin spec right at the top of this thread? That states that each RCA inner pin connects to a different DIN pin, if you’ve measured them all, and that’s not the case, then I think you proved the cable is faulty?

The cable works perfectly for Hicap to non Naim amplifier, so for that purpose it was made and is in perfect working condition. I admit that I did not understand your last post. But thanks for your assistance. Regards. HF

We believe in directionality. You are now using the cable the other way around :slight_smile:

Hello. I won’ use it, I’m not sure enough ! Tomorrow I’ll try Av in with RCA on each end.

Finally! Honestly this is by far the simplest option, unless you have the right interconnect with a 4 pin din on one end. You can’t make a mistake with 2x rca/phono.

1 Like

Hello Robert. You surely know that we all, the hifi fans, let’s not call us freaks :slight_smile: love getting the best oot of our gear and RCA is not Din…but RCA to Din is also not Din to Din, so it’s sure that there could be a quality loss. Actually 2 people confirmed me that Av in does not only disactivate the volume from the SN2, but the whole SN2 preamp. I only got a 2nd confirmation some hours ago, as I absolutely have to be sure to not harm my beloved SN2. How about electrosmog in the bedroom. my headache did not come from it, but I would like to avoid Electrosmog as much as possible. This sentence really is a mental pusher: “You can’t make a mistake with 2x rca/phono”. Greetings to you from me :slight_smile: HF

why not just buy the sugden power amp?

2 Likes

yeah thought about the Sudgen ampmaster ar an older AP4 , but bought a Sudgen A21 SE Signature instead. Main point is: no heat out of the amp for the bedroom. I suppose a Sudgen power amp is class A and does not stay cold as my SN2.

And another amazing answer from a Naim shop: " yes, all 4-pin Din on RCA, or vice versa work!

This is offered directional. The adapter cables are offered manufactured in the history of Chord. Nevertheless, there are now many providers who have jumped on the bandwagon.

With the 4-pin Din, only what is needed is tapped. In this case only the exit (re/li/ground)

With the 5-pin 240 degrees (SNAIC5), the power supply is also supplied: Hicap on Supernait supplies the preamp side with power and at the same time picks up the preamp info and feeds it into the Hicap. There, the preamp info is present at all three 4-pin outputs of equal value It doesn’t matter whether this is used for a NAP or for a third-party power amplifier." All the people want to help me. That’s so lovely !

1 Like