Sugden Preamp to Supernait 2 for more refinement

as I know my german dealers, such a cable will cost me around 180 eur and I will not spend so much. I bought a Chord shawline 2x 5pin Din retail price 300 eur with the Supernait 2 and don’t know if I will regret it.

That’s half the retail price of your Fluke though :slight_smile:

Naim make pretty cables, that also sound great

my dealer will sell me a Naim or a Chord cable and will ask me around 180 eur. That’s not worth it. Then I sell the SN2.

That’s no excuse :wink: I’m a self taught automotive fettler.

I’m at work now, and have an evening full of plans, but will try take a photo of my fluke 18 (considerably outclassed by your 87!!) showing continuity on an equivalent cable sometime this week.

my mother fell in marmor stairs and broke her back and foot and with 77 years is very near of her end. Our relation was never easy but I do not want people around me wanting to die for some years and just living a life in pain. I should mount some racks and work the second half of the week beginning in 1 hour and am worrying about a cable for a SN2 which is less refined as my seller (my new hifi friend from North Germany) assured me as I wanted to start with my father’s 50 classical music and opera Cd’s n the bedroom now and I find the sound disappointing. My new hifi friend who had Nait, Nait XS Supernait … told me that he never listened to a Sudgen amplifier and as he trusts my ears, he soon will. Thanks for your great support. I tell my dealers now to make me some offers. I will not buy from ebay, too dangerous. Greetings from Luxembourg.

1 Like

Just remove the little screw and you can remove the casing and se which pins are connected. It’s a 30 second job.

It should be easy enough to unscrew the outer case of the DIN and check what’s connected inside. Then just carefully reassemble.

unscrew was easy but nothing moves, pushing the inside with the 4 pins and nothing moves, if I push or turn further, the cable will be destroyed. Where should I pull or push to get this thing out? Thanks.

1 Like

Remove the screw. Push the wire and the end of the plug pops out. Check pins.

2 Likes

Thanks, it worked, rubber is so hard, no chance to see anything without cutting it

1 Like

Just for completeness, and as I said I would, here’s how to use your meter to work out if the pin connections are the same as specified further up the thread.

Set up meter

Carefully either use clip on meter leads, or remove and just touch end of probe on the respective pins on the DIN socket, and the parts of the RCA plugs. I used a clip for the photo, but v carefully to avoid damage. If I didn’t have to take a picture then I’d just touch the probes.

Both outer parts of both RCAs should show continuity (0 on the meter) with a single DIN pin, as the previous post. The central part of each RCA should show continuity with a separate pin in the DIN, again, refer to the earlier post to work out which.

1 Like

I report what I measure pin for pin. Give me 10 minutes. Thanks a lot.

1 same pin of the 4 pin din is reacting both at negative and positive rca when Fluke contacts Rca at the outside

Fluke only reacts if 1 side the center RCA pin is connected and touching 1 of the 4 Din pins, touching 1 pin after the other, only 1 same pin of 4 reacting for right and left of the inside RCA pin. This wiring worked for hicap 2 output to non Naim Main In of an integrated amplifier input.

I got an official answer: I would suggest the Chord Shawline cable:

Power in option; 2RCAà4DIN 1M €330,-

AV in option; 2RCAà2RCA 1M €260,-

Just cut it. You can always tape it up again. The proper Naim plug doesn’t have the rubber so it can’t be that important.

No, I won’t cut it, I measured it, that shows the connections. I paid 30 Gbp + delivery + taxes to get this cable and it works fine to connect my Stageline to Hicap and then to Rotel Main In amp. I will not cut Simon’s fantastic manufactural artwork. You wouldn’t too, would you ?

1 Like

AV in alternative apparently works too, before cutting or ordering, I try that option then.

I probably would, if I wanted to check the pins. It’s not like it’s a proper Naim lead.

Have you now concluded that it will work to connect the Sugden to the SN2?

well one member here who will analyze my measuring responses and he surely will tell us as he made me a fantastic manual for the voltmeter :slight_smile: Thanks again to him. Until now my conclusion is that ve+ is not connected, so a power problem could be worth better not connecting it to anything.