Suitable speakers for 272/250DR?

Don’t forget to listen to Harbeths too if you can. IMO they bring everything Spendor does, with more dynamic and rhythm.

Claude

2 Likes

I run a set of 25 year old Royds (2 way) through my 250/272 and recently changed the cables to SL. This brought a much improved bass response and my detail.

I picked up a 200 when I was moving on from my SN. Used the SN pre with the 200. Not memorable at all, no warmth. Got a SC2 and that made it better. Then I got a 252 and it opened up but didn’t have enough to fill the image if you know what I mean. When I got the 250.2 it sounded right.

The 250 is just a great amp. I don’t want two boxes for an amp and I’m happy the 250 exists. I’m enjoying my 0vator 400s with the 250DR. The sound is right and I no longer have to question it. If you have the opportunity you should listen to the Ovator and see what you think. I suspect the 250 will sound great with any of the speakers I’ve seen mentioned though. Your room will make the difference I suppose.

2 Likes

The title should be: suitable speakers for 272/250dr and MY ROOM CHARACTERISTICS
:smiley:
The goal is to find the right speakers that match the amp and the room simultaneously.
And our tastes of course.
So it’s not « don’t buy speakers before treating acoustically the room » but « buy the right speakers to match your room, if not be prepared to treat it ».
My devise. :chicken:

Depends how you look at it. Womans acceptance factor was a serious parameter for me when purchasing my speakers for the living room. We both have to live with it. So it is rather a matter of mutual respect. When having a dedicated music room, some say ‘men’s cave’, I guess there are more options.
Having said this, my Vivid’s look and sound great, also my wife is of that opinion.
And these do not have the features you look for I estimate. Kudos, Spendor, Neat, Dali migh fit.

My first recommendation at that price based on personal experience would be Kudos S20s but also look at Neat.

Good luck.

Lindsay

1 Like

Thanks for your answer Claude. Is there any particular Harbeth model you have in mind?

Your 272/250DR would drive any Harbeth easily, with the possible exception of the P3ESR XD which probably sound too lean for your taste anyway.

Given your electronics and the size of your room the Compact 7 ES3 XDs (or M30.2 XD) seem to be the best match. I used Compact 7s with an Olive 102/HiCap/250 system in a 14ft x 14 ft room for 3-4 years and it was match made in heaven. Plus unless I’m mistaken they will be below your budget.

Compact 7s fit your criteria of warmth and nuance perfectly, my only doubt is whether they have what you refer to as a bass with a clear body. Compact 7s do have bass, but it’s not artificially tight like some other speakers.

Others have recommended great speakers, too. Let your ears be the judge, I for one am anxious to find out what you’ll end up with.

Claude

4 Likes

Wot, no ProAcs? I’ve just added a pair of ProAc D2Rs to my 272 / XPSDR / 250DR. Beautifully balanced sound. Only caveat is they might need a bigger space than the OP’s 14m².

Ok, another caveat: good recordings sound better, but poor recordings sound worse (vs. the ProAc DB3s I replaced) i.e. the D2Rs are more revealing.

2 Likes

Nice to hear another shout for ProAc’s. Good to know they sound great with the 250DR as that’s the level I’m shooting for.

2 Likes

Give the D2R’s a good 300 hours to run in.

2 Likes

@Bjorn What speakers do you plan to audition?

Because none of our recommendations are worth much since none of us have your Ears! And I’m really curious about what Speaker Cables you use?

Many members seem to love Proacs with their Naim gear. Maybe try a search here.

2 Likes

I’m listening a pair of demo D2R’s that my dealer left with me yesterday. Sounding sweet. He’s delivering the new pair this evening – that’s when the run-in process will start :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Yep, the 250DR seems well matched to the D2Rs. Ultimately I think they’d benefit from a better source than the 272 – but that’s all part of the plan anyway.

3 Likes

Bravo!

1 Like

I have 282+HiCapDR+250DR and I’m very happy with PMC fact8.

1 Like

Think the new Neat Orkestra’s would be worth an audition. Neat speakers and Naim seem to work, they’d definitely be on my list if I was updating my speakers.

1 Like

Very nice system …

Dynaudio Special 40’s here with 272/250DR

2 Likes