Suitable speakers for 272/250DR?

You need an XPSDR to your system Björn and it will sound like magic :+1: Hifi tor get

1 Like

Hello!
I have been thinking about which speaker brand I should start trying and decided to start with PMC, models PMC 5.23 and 5.24. Does anyone experience these models and what would you say is the difference between them?

No one who has experience of PMC together with Naim? Really?

I use PMC 5.23 with SN3 and NDX2 so not the 272/250DR. Room is 5m x 4m. Speaker cable is NACA5. Speakers are only 10 cm from wall due to furniture/room constraints. Very happy with what I’m hearing. Unfortunately no experience of 5.24 or the more recent “i” variant so can’t help with those.
Just ordered some Witchhat Phantom cable to see if it is any better. No intention of changing speakers.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer Orac!
How would you describe the sound from them? Is there something special you are missing that makes you try other speaker cables?

1 Like

Hi Bjorn,
To me the speakers give a natural representation of the music. I listen to quite a few genres but mostly female vocal, classical, easy jazz, piano and a bit of prog rock. The bass is not overdone but is there as is the top end and mids. I suppose I’m saying well balanced. At least to me in my room etc. As you are no doubt well aware listening to them is recommended preferably in your own room.
Only trying the phantoms as they are reasonably priced, folks on here seem to be giving them a good review, easier to place/route than NACA5, and I can send them back if not happy with the sound. More answering a question than looking to resolve a problem.

1 Like

That sounds good! :+1:
I think they would fit well in my room. They sell the old models, without i, at a very good price right now, and I have the opportunity to have them sent home for trial listening at no cost. Please share what you thought of the new cables when you have tried them! Happy Easter :hatching_chick::baby_chick::hatched_chick:

1 Like

Happy to help. Hope you find the speakers that work for you, even if they are not PMC. Main thing is to enjoy the music. I’m sure folk on here would be interested in knowing what you eventually decide. Happy Easter.

1 Like

Try out the Tellurium Q Black II. You can try them at home free of charge from say Hifiexperience. They did great things in my setup :+1:

1 Like

I do have a pair of PMC twenty.5 23’s driven by the NAC 272 and 250 (non dr) amp and think they are very good speakers (at least to me). Might grow one or two steps in the future when upgrading pre amp and source.

Heard some other speaker in the past wich did something right in one department or an another overall the PMC’s in the end overall sounded the most allround to my ears. Not the biggest bass monsters out there, on the other hand no big issues in the room due to it.

1 Like

I used PMC Fact 3s with 272/250DR/XPSDR, but didn’t post before as the Fact 3s are standmounts (with dedicated stands). It took my current active speakers to beat the 250/Fact 3 combo. At least to my ears that is, but I look for neutrality and realistic reproduction rather than warmth (or dryness) in my system.

Roger

1 Like

I have Monitor Audio Studio 20se. Which I’ve had 20 years. At 1st when I upgraded and got hooked on Naim starting out with Nac 282/ hicap dr / Nap 250 dr & Naca5 speaker cable I thought way too bright for me but as my 282 was new and needed a few hours running in I thought I would stick with it and I’m so glad I did as they sound fantastic now, the problem I’ve found is the 282/250 really pulls out the detail so the difference between recordings is quite noticeable.
Does anyone else use MA studio 20/50/60 or platinum series ?

Before going for fact8 I demoed twenty5.23 and twenty5.24 and, as far as I remember, the main difference is in the bass, more present in the twenty5.24. I hope it helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 the room is as important as the system components in determining the best choice here.
I had a beautiful pair of DeVore Fidelity standmount speakers that sounded great in a small room. When I moved to a new apartment they sounded completely lost in a much bigger space. With only 14m2 to fill I’d be looking at something like the Harbeths mentioned above or Dynaudios given the comments about brightness.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.