Summer Festivals

you are so right about battery charging… but the descent breakfasts i like to have back at the festival -

1 Like

i am tempted to say that’s probably the best way to hear Richard sing… sorry really unfair - but I just don’t gel with his style - to me it all sounds so dreary.

1 Like

sorry that sounds dreadful - why do you want your gigs regulated… surely the appeal of gigs is that as long as they are safe anything goes - its about people enjoying themselves? The thought of any ‘international regulation’ at the festivals i go to makes me shudder… if you don’t like an artist you leave and go to another stage or tent…

A so called headlining performance is just a promotion term - it doesn’t really mean anything. It is who is performing and a main attraction. if you don’t like it then you are not attracted - it doesn’t need regulation surely other than very loosely sales protection

I just don’t like being around lots of other people in a field or big tent, marquee thing. Not my thing at all, irrespective of the music.

I’ve never got into festivals really. I went to a Crystal Palace Garden Party (featuring Pink Floyd), a Melody Maker poll-winners one at the Oval, a free one featuring Humble Pie in Hyde Park, once to Cambridge Folk Festival (when Tanita Tikarum was on, before Twist of Sobriety was released, and Reading Rock once, when I lived about 300 yards away. All but the last two were single day events, and the last two I only attended for one day, so I don’t really count these as going to music festivals.

Sometimes I see things like footage of the original Woodstock, or a good lineup at Glastonbury, and think “I wish I was there” - but it’s never made me make the move to go. Overall I prefer gigs in relatively small venues (preferably a few hundred to no more than low single figure thousands of people).

1 Like

We have two booked in, one of which is for the kids and they are both in the centre of Oslo in the same Park.

Mini Øya.

…and one for us, Øyefestivale. I have not seem the Gorilaz before, so that should be good.

1 Like

I saw them at Glastonbury when they stepped in to cover for U2 ,Bono had a back problem,they were amazing,your in for a treat !

1 Like

On the same bil, it also says Suede (UK) further down. Now I can’t believe they are still around…anybody know?

Go easy on him. I’m pretty sure he’s just referring to the difficulties that bands are having with regard to touring under the various pandemic “regulations” in each country. He lives in Holland which so far has had pretty strict rules.

2 Likes

Regulation of international travelling I meant. Not of the festivals. English is not my native tongue.

2 Likes

Been to quite a few over the years my last ever (in this Country at least) was the V Festival in Stratford 2007 I think it was a great line up The Killers where Killers and Primal Scream in a smallish tent where great but it rained most of the weekend and that was horrible. I remember standing up to my ankles in mud dressed in the thinest plastic poncho that cost £10 from a Scouser, trying to fend off an impending hangover with a pint and a wet burger thinking never, ever, ever again.

2 Likes

Going there for some 25 years without missing one. After 2 Covid years, it looks like it’s finally happing again this summer. Time to book a hotel and dig up our 3 day passe-partout tickets we purchased early 2020! :crazy_face: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ah I see… I thought it sounded odd… yes hopefully covid is coming under sort of control now, unless a new variant appears we can’t handle… fingers crossed with the variant that has recently emerged.

1 Like

Hi, I wasn’t being hard … just responding to the language used… obviously this a written format which uses the richness of the English language to make interesting and engaging.
Perhaps Naim should introduce little icons for members who don’t have English fluency… so fluent speakers don’t mis interprete their posts.

This sort of thing does seem to happen more than occasionally… and I would hate fluent speakers not to respond just because someone writes something interesting or challenging or just different… as in the case here… although not intended.

No problem at all, thanks for responding. I think I understand :slight_smile: . By the way…a festival means to me freedom, being in another world with like-minded people for a few days, relaxing and seeing nice bands. I enjoy both new and upcoming talent as (some) world famous top acts. And some beers.

3 Likes

totally agree

1 Like

Ziggy Marley headlining on Hastings pier, potentially 10 hours on a glorified boardwalk though so not sure :thinking:

My favourite UK Reggae festival, One Love, I was initially excited to hear is back on and just up the road from me until I found that the organisers have sold out to make it more “inclusive”, watering down the original raison detre of the festival, putting on a lot of dance music acts and DJ’s like Fatboy Slim, Judge Jules etc.

However this looks promising in Campbell Park Milton Keynes. But I understand no camping, no parking and the venue isnt very close to anywhere to stay, which is problematic as Mr’s Dread has a disability.

Anyone here familiar with the area and could recommend anywhere to stay?
Cheers

:heart:

I don’t know the area Mr Dread, but it looks like a cracking lineup from where I am sitting.

I hope you get your accommodation sorted, have fun.

1 Like

Cheers :+1:

1 Like