Supercap DR

Money talks :rofl:

1 Like

In my case I was resolved to letting sleeping dogs lie and keep the Superline on the 252, but a friend bought a Solstice and offered me his minty SCDR, Burndy, and HiLine – eveything I needed for the Superline – at a decent price. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just added a SupercapDR to my 282. It’s not an upgrade. It completely transforms the 282 into a different preamp. I now understand why there’s mixed reviews on it. It’s fantastic on some systems but throws off the balance on others. Luckily, it’s phenomenal on mine. I was shocked at the change.

1 Like

It improved my 282 a lot especially with a wider sound stage and more in detail.

For sure is an improvement and ready for the next step (252)

1 Like

That’s some solution!
I think I’d manage to get the green light for the Supercap, but while Mrs O is making hints about a new kitchen and waxing lyrical about her parents new wet room and how much better it is than our bathroom, I’m thinking a 552 is out of the question …

2 Likes

Did you move from one HCDR or two on your 282?

We did our bathroom and then the kitchen, both on my initiative, then the hi-fi upgrade - much easier that way: happy home and wife, then roll in the toys. Then we just recently redid the on-suite to finish off the house renovation.

I feel your pain Steve.
Our NAC52 was one of the most expensive pre-amps this side of a Statement.
It cost the price of a new kitchen with all new Miele appliances and Amtico flooring, plus some loose change for the pre-amp!

Worth it though…

Best regards, BF

Truth be told I’m very happy with where my system is at right now. I’ve had the 252 for 15 years now. The Supercap for the SuperLine is very tempting given the lift it brings. As much as I love my music, and my system allows me to hear it better than ever, I’m not sure I could justify a 552.

2 Likes

Understood Steve. I wasn’t recommending you to buy a 552.
After 15 years, a newly serviced 252/SCDR should sound excellent.
When we started to look at “what after a 52/SC/135”, we did look at a 552/500 but wanted to simplify and downsize the box count without losing performance, so chose another path.

A 500 series integrated would have been perfect but it doesn’t currently exist.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

Made the comment because on re reading my first contribution I felt it read like I was hankering for a 552.

Funnily enough my 552 followed getting a new kitchen.

So the route to audio nirvana involves a new kitchen.

1 Like

We need a new Heat Pump - AC system. Once I have that done, what new component do I qualify for? :thinking:

2 Likes

I moved from one HiCapDR

1 Like

Personally I’d get the amp first but the old kitchen was falling apart, the old 282 was working fine, a hard case to argue.

1 Like

In case of 250 DR, the 252 and Supercap could improved the SQ vs. 282 and the hicap?

I upgraded from 282/HCDR/250DR to 282/SCDR/250DR to 252/SCDR/250DR to 252/SCDR/300DR. With a 250DR, a change from 282/HC to 252/SC will be dramatic.

2 Likes

Will follow your footsteps !
Going to grab the demo piece after reading new price commencing Dec !!!

Awful choice !:joy: