Supercap DR

282 / SC is a fine pre. I think your source should come next, even if it’s 555PSU on CDX2. Then a 555 CD or streamer.

Oh my gosh, with a limited pool gotta give and take of what I could manage up front mate !

OK … that’s fair … but you’ve recently bought new speakers, new PSU and now contemplating a new Pre … ? maybe I’d have looked at the CD source somewhere along the way. But enjoy what you have, it’s a great setup.

1 Like

You might prefer the 282/SCdr anyway over the 252. A few do.

And the price of a 282/SCdr isn’t that different from a 252/SCdr.

1 Like

One step at a time my friend !

2 Likes

This SC then, it’ll be good but already you’ve discovered you’ll then need a 555PS with a CD555 or ND555, and then a 252. And once you have a 252 you’ll be looking out for a 552 to go with the 300, which’ll then need upgrading to a 500…

Save time. Plunge yourself into hopeless debt and go for it now. ND555, PS555, 552, 500. You know it makes sense… :joy:

Ha ha
Building castles in the sky my friend !
My financial controller will yell !

1 Like

Between selling my '08 recapped 282 and buying a '16 252 I had to spend nearly $4k. That’s a pretty big difference in my book.

2 Likes

The difference in retail new is GBP2k. 12K vs 10K.

2K isn’t pocket money for sure. But they aren’t that far apart either.

Yeah, it’s a different market for us in the U.S. The difference in price over here is $3500 ($11k vs $7.5k), making the 252 about 50% higher than the 282. I don’t know what will happen with the new price increases. I haven’t seen any details for us in the U.S.

Pretty much the same in the East
Approx usd 3k gap between 252/282

I think my point is lost. GBP 2K or USD 3.5K is a big jump from 282 to 252. I’m talking about the relative jump between a 282/SCdr and 252/SCdr.

The GBP 2K or USD 3.5K doesn’t change but becomes proportionally smaller in the cost of a full SuperCapped preamp. For example, if you are shopping for preamps, it would be totally reasonable to listen to a GBP 9K preamp and compare it to an 11K preamp. They are sort of in the same ballpark and it would not be a forgone conclusion that the 11K product would be better.

One step at a time mate !

As the supercap already in my camp, I’ll trade in 282 for a 252 within soon !

Let’s enjoy our music & worry later.

Thank you all

Cheers

1 Like

IME the difference in sound quality between 252 and 282 is bigger than the cost differential would lead you to expect - e.g. the 252 is better value IME.

3 Likes

Just installed a newly acquired used SCDR instead of 2 HC’s (non-DR) and must say the 282 got quite an uplift. Much more than I expected. Bought it as the first step to a 252 but not so sure anymore… But did not audition a 252 at home yet,so who knows. :grin:

I recently had my Supercap DR fail. I borrowed one from my excellent dealer while mine was back at base and when I collected my repaired unit last week I borrowed the Burndy required to try it on my SuperLine.
@LindsayM , Bluesfan is right - the improvement is not small. My bet is you try it, you buy it.

2 Likes

Well the only solution to this is to trade the 282 with the hi Cap currently on the Superline for a 552 which would free up the SC for the Superline🤔

Thanks guys!

3 Likes

Good to see such a well reasoned and sensible solution there Lindsay!

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

The change from Superline powered by my 252 to adding a Supercap DR for the Superline was quite substantial.

Likewise

But the buying mood (252) keep hammering me on a daily basis :rofl::rofl::rofl: